• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

I picked him up before the season. He is listed as a Grinder and I'm not sure why. I changed his type to sniper because of his sick shot, and then stuck him on the left point for my power play. He's scored several goals with that rocket of a shot.

I love the guy, second year now with him and he up to 82 overall with all his shooting stats in the lower to mid 90's.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

I love the guy, second year now with him and he up to 82 overall with all his shooting stats in the lower to mid 90's.

I nerfed all of the players who had totally unrealistic stats. I also thoroughly overhauled the rosters for all NHL teams in order to make them more realistic. There are some truly nonsense stats in the default rosters.

#43 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm in my second year now. I took the cap off for fun, just to see what kind of team I could end up with. I didn't, however, just go out and sign a bunch of free agents with skill, I aquired most of my guys through trading with the exception of Pavel Brendl, and Pelle Prestberg.

Zetterberg (90) Datsyuk (92) Franzen (83)
Vanek (87) Stamkos (86) Homer (83)
D. Brown (86) Filppula (81) Brendl (82)
Prestberg (82) Ebbett (80) Bertuzzi (81)

Kronwall (83) Chara (93)
Ericsson (81) Stuart (82)
Quincey (81) Sarich (81)

Miller (88)
Larsson (77)

I won the cup my first year, I had Toews but I sent him with Lepisto to Tampa for Stamkos. Lidstrom retired after the first year.
My cap is currently at 71.34 Million

Edited by stevieisthebest, 14 April 2010 - 05:11 PM.

"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:43 AM

I'm in my second year now. I took the cap off for fun, just to see what kind of team I could end up with. I didn't, however, just go out and sign a bunch of free agents with skill, I aquired most of my guys through trading with the exception of Pavel Brendl, and Pelle Prestberg.

Zetterberg (90) Datsyuk (92) Franzen (83)
Vanek (87) Stamkos (86) Homer (83)
D. Brown (86) Filppula (81) Brendl (82)
Prestberg (82) Ebbett (80) Bertuzzi (81)

Kronwall (83) Chara (93)
Ericsson (81) Stuart (82)
Quincey (81) Sarich (81)

Miller (88)
Larsson (77)

I won the cup my first year, I had Toews but I sent him with Lepisto to Tampa for Stamkos. Lidstrom retired after the first year.
My cap is currently at 71.34 Million

I made some trades (with the cap on) to stack my team at the start of the second season of my franchise. It didn't take me long to realize that totally conning the AI and building a totally unrealistic and unstoppable team took a lot of the fun out of the game.

#45 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

I made some trades (with the cap on) to stack my team at the start of the second season of my franchise. It didn't take me long to realize that totally conning the AI and building a totally unrealistic and unstoppable team took a lot of the fun out of the game.

We have gone through this argument again.

How long you played? It's easy to win one or to seasons. Building a powerhouse isn't so easy. You're gonna lose your GM reputation which is important if you wanna come Legend GM some day (the point in Be a GM -mode).

It's just stupid how you like swap prospects and draft picks for veterans, win the cup and say the game is too easy. The point is to build a dynasty and get the best GM ratings.

Or else, that would be like playing run&gun -style in Hitman. Maybe the game gets slightly easier, but what's the point? Mind as well put all the cheats on.

edit: I also would like to know just how "unstoppable" that team of yours was. You did simulate your games, right? Because if you play your games yourself it's not really about your GM skills and therefore even if you suck at being the GM and building the team (again, the point in Be a GM -mode) you could still win if you've played the game long enough because you're playing against AI. I find it pretty hard to build a team that's gonna win Cups year after year when simulating.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 19 April 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

We have gone through this argument again.

How long you played? It's easy to win one or to seasons. Building a powerhouse isn't so easy. You're gonna lose your GM reputation which is important if you wanna come Legend GM some day (the point in Be a GM -mode).

It's just stupid how you like swap prospects and draft picks for veterans, win the cup and say the game is too easy. The point is to build a dynasty and get the best GM ratings.

Or else, that would be like playing run&gun -style in Hitman. Maybe the game gets slightly easier, but what's the point? Mind as well put all the cheats on.

edit: I also would like to know just how "unstoppable" that team of yours was. You did simulate your games, right? Because if you play your games yourself it's not really about your GM skills and therefore even if you suck at being the GM and building the team (again, the point in Be a GM -mode) you could still win if you've played the game long enough because you're playing against AI. I find it pretty hard to build a team that's gonna win Cups year after year when simulating.

The games themselves are incredibly easy.

Anyway---at the start of the second season, I was able to actually increase the strength of the team even without trading (I actually made only one trade in the first season; it was at the deadline, it was with a team that was out of the playoff race, and it was for a player whose contract was expiring at the end of the season). The team was so stacked that the game was even less of a challenge.

Simulations aren't really realistic. There's too much that is random.

#47 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

My team in Be A GM mode is just 3 lines full of goons and one scoring line. They get the job done though.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#48 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

The games themselves are incredibly easy.

Anyway---at the start of the second season, I was able to actually increase the strength of the team even without trading (I actually made only one trade in the first season; it was at the deadline, it was with a team that was out of the playoff race, and it was for a player whose contract was expiring at the end of the season). The team was so stacked that the game was even less of a challenge.

Simulations aren't really realistic. There's too much that is random.

It's not random. If you've got a team that really is better than the other team and tactics put on correctly, the odds that you win are bigger.

To say that the whole Be a GM is too easy if you haven't even win a cup simulating is just stupid. Of course it's easy if you've played the game enough to win the games against AI, but that's why it's meant to simulate.

You're saying how good your team is and everything, yet you haven't got any performances that would prove it.

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

It's not random. If you've got a team that really is better than the other team and tactics put on correctly, the odds that you win are bigger.

To say that the whole Be a GM is too easy if you haven't even win a cup simulating is just stupid. Of course it's easy if you've played the game enough to win the games against AI, but that's why it's meant to simulate.

You're saying how good your team is and everything, yet you haven't got any performances that would prove it.

I still don't understand what you're talking about in the sense of consistently fielding a good team, mon. I've gotten it done easily, repeatedly.

#50 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

I still don't understand what you're talking about in the sense of consistently fielding a good team, mon. I've gotten it done easily, repeatedly.

I'm talking about what you think is 'good'. It's not good in terms of GMing if you can't win games when simulating. Of course you can say any team is good (enough) if you've played the game enough to win games easily when playing yourself.

Build a team that can win Cups when simulating and then come back. If you don't you can't say the GM system or the trading system is too easy.

You've only proved that you can win games when playing yourself meaning that you've learned how to beat the AI, which happens in any game once you've played enough. The only games that don't have this disadvantage are usually management games. NHL 10 has management mode, which is the Be a GM -mode. So I think it's obvious that if you wanna test your GM skills (GM builds the team) you don't play yourself.

Get the point?

Edited by Finnish Wing, 20 April 2010 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users