• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GSBrooks13

Ovechkin Gets 2 Games.

Rate this topic

More than expected, less than deserved. Just glad that they're finally setting a precedent by actually suspending him. Although the precedent of "you can do this a couple times before getting suspended" is something that I hope will change. This is the first step in the right direction though.

The great Brad May with his opinion on the hit:

In an informal poll, TSN asked 25 NHL players whether they viewed Ovechkin as a hard-hitting player, or more often as a reckless and dirty player.....

*snip*

......Detroit Red Wings forward Brad May is one of the 17 players who participated in the anonymous poll, but May asked that his opinion on Ovechkin to be revealed.

He said he saw no reason for the NHL to suspend Ovechkin for the hit on Gleason.

"Incidental contact! Remember, it's a physical game," said May. "People forget that. I have no issue with him. He's fast and aggressive and stuff happens."

The great Brad May with his opinion on the hit:

It was incidental contact. After Ovechkin took his last stride he didn't change the position of his leg, it was already out there. Gleason tried to jump out of the way and jumped into Ovechkin's knee. Smart for either player? No.

This is entirely different then Laraque's. You can see Laraque raise his leg and stick it out to get Kronwall.

That's my opinion and I argued the same thing when it happened to Gonchar last year in the playoffs. His body position never changed. Maybe the two games is for the league saying don't lead into checks like that. I don't know.

I love everyone calling for blood because he's a superstar and they finally want something done to a superstar. I'd rather have the league wait to suspend a superstar when they actually do something wrong.

That check a couple games back when he got tossed, he hit the guy in the shoulder. The visor caused blood and made it look worse.

Most people are calling for his head. I'll go the other route.

Knee on knee's are always the fault of the aggressor. Ovechkin got beat, it wasn't intentional but he needs to back off on the hit. That's why he is getting suspended. You can't miss checks in the open ice like that and still try to make contact, it can end careers.

does anyone think it'd be fair to instigate a rule where the suspended player comes back when the injured player comes back?

No because I don't think most injuries from dirty plays are malicious enough to warrant 40+ game suspensions. Accidents happen.

not an intentional knee. he's the best player in the league, if Crosby did this exact same thing, they would see it for what it was. Ovechkin going kamakaze (sp?) to make a big hit, his usual, and Gleason trying to evade the hit, unfortunately their knees made contact. Wrongfully suspended.

Laraque's was worse and he's been suspended before.

I thought Ovechkin's was much worse. Laraques was more of a reflex action to stick out your leg when someone is trying to get past you, believe me, it is actually difficult not to do and if you watch closely, a lot of the time, when guys get beat, their legs jump out, it's just most of the time, the other player is well out of the way, other times they might trip the guy and get a penalty and in Laraque's case, you have a freak injury that results.

I thought Ovechkin was much more aggressive in his attack. He doesn't technically have a history of suspensions simply because the NHL has let him get a away with a few things.....perhaps because he doesn't have a history of suspensions. Now that he technically has a history, will be interesting to see what happens when he does something borderline again.

not an intentional knee. he's the best player in the league, if Crosby did this exact same thing, they would see it for what it was. Ovechkin going kamakaze (sp?) to make a big hit, his usual, and Gleason trying to evade the hit, unfortunately their knees made contact. Wrongfully suspended.

You said it yourself, that's the problem right there. Ovechkin plays too recklessly and they really need to reel him in for his own safety and the safety of others. Even his coach admitted the same and suggested now might be the right time to have a heart to heart discussion with him.

Edit: I think most agree that it wasn't an intentional knee to hurt someone....if the league felt it was that, I'm sure he would have gotten a much more lengthy suspension.

Edited by toby91_ca

There should be a clause in the CBA stating your suspension starts once you're medically cleared to play. But oh well. Definately deserved a game or three, gladd the NHL had the balls to do it

:lol: good point...

what good is a 2 game suspension if a player going to be out for say 2 games*.

Seems a little redundant and a faux way of punishing a star without really punishing him

*saying that he would be out for any amount of games due to injury

Strange that he wanted his opinion to be known, though.

Prolly is just auditioning for a job as Ovies body guard when his gig with the wings is up.

Edited by OsGOD

Find a good post on HFboards about this incident

Now, Alex Ovechkin is "dirty"....As well as 600+ NHLers, according to some here at HF. Richer yet, these same people want/expect 600+ "clean, gentlemanly, "classy" individuals on the croquet field, er ice surface.

This board would have hated Howe, Orr, Clarke, Potvin, just as more recently they hated Messier, Scott Stevens, Forsberg and other "dirty" types.

See a pattern? All great players. All would punish you and frighten and offend some fans in the process. That bugs 'ya? Their response: Too bad.

No one is condoning Ovechkin's action last evening, though it has been blown way out of proportion here, predictably.

It's the premise on which some of these humorous claims are made. NHL hockey is not squeaky clean and never will be. Regardless of the endless, silly declarations of "dirty".

Thankfully.

If AO is "dirty," then so too is the NHL. Neither he, nor it is. It's a violent game played at warp speed. These things happen and have forever. Best to get use to it.

Just my opinion.

Hard to disagree imo

He doesn't technically have a history of suspensions simply because the NHL has let him get a away with a few things.....perhaps because he doesn't have a history of suspensions.

So you're just going to say it. Not back it up? It's that simple? Please do share all the things the league has allowed him to get away with.

Knee on knee's are always the fault of the aggressor. Ovechkin got beat, it wasn't intentional but he needs to back off on the hit. That's why he is getting suspended. You can't miss checks in the open ice like that and still try to make contact, it can end careers.

Ovechkin had no time to back off the hit. Gleason jumped as he was making contact. Again, Ovechkin never "still tried to make contact" He was set in his position the entire time. Never moved once.

Seems you just saying generic phrases about a knee on knee collision. Did you even see it? Or watch replays of it?

It was incidental contact. After Ovechkin took his last stride he didn't change the position of his leg, it was already out there. Gleason tried to jump out of the way and jumped into Ovechkin's knee. Smart for either player? No.

This is entirely different then Laraque's. You can see Laraque raise his leg and stick it out to get Kronwall.

That's my opinion and I argued the same thing when it happened to Gonchar last year in the playoffs. His body position never changed. Maybe the two games is for the league saying don't lead into checks like that. I don't know.

I love everyone calling for blood because he's a superstar and they finally want something done to a superstar. I'd rather have the league wait to suspend a superstar when they actually do something wrong.

That check a couple games back when he got tossed, he hit the guy in the shoulder. The visor caused blood and made it look worse.

I agree with you. I looked at the hit about 10 times, in slow-mo and all, and I thought that by no means was it a dirty play. Unfortunate for both players, yes. But like you said, his body positioning never changed, and you can tell by his skating stride, as well that he wasn't going after his knee. Not to mention, you can see him actually lead in with the shoulder, but his knee got there first.

Is he a little bit reckless? Yeah, maybe. But how many players in the NHL really play as hard as he does on a nightly basis? Not a lot. And I sure as hell wouldn't label him as a "dirty" player.

Ovechkin had no time to back off the hit. Gleason jumped as he was making contact. Again, Ovechkin never "still tried to make contact" He was set in his position the entire time. Never moved once.

Seems you just saying generic phrases about a knee on knee collision. Did you even see it? Or watch replays of it?

Thing is you cannot change the instinct of getting out of the way if a 230 pound guy is bearing down on you. No one in there right mind(Except Lindros) would just put his head down and take the hit, of course a player is going to try and avoid the hit. Ovechkin is not intentionally trying to injure, but it's yet another borderline play that could of ended his career or Gleason's. It's not hard to back out of open ice hits, he did not make any attempt to not lead and make contact with his opponent's knee. You cannot argue that, and that's what I mean when he still made contact.

If you carelessly use your stick, you get a penalty. You carelessly use your body, you have to accept the punishment. Knee to knee's can be avoided, it's not impossible to just bail out of a open ice collision. If your opponents head is up, you better anticipate him getting out of your way, and if you want to take the gamble of getting suspended or ending careers then you better hope to hell you make contact with his upper body. And before you say well you've never played hockey and I'm making it sound to easy, there is a damn good reason the same players keep causing the same knee to knee hits. Not every player commits to reckless and dangerous hits just usually the same cast of characters (Ulf Samuelsson in the past, Cooke and Ovechkin now) that played or play the game with almost reckless abandon.

I don't want Ovechkin to become Lindros, he has too much talent to be gamble his career in useless open ice hits in games against the damn Hurricanes in November. He needs to pick his spots physically, and understand that he needs to be on the ice scoring goals.

And I hate this because I love the physical aspect of the game, but knee to knee hits are as cheap as they get. If I have to sacrifice seeing a open ice collision to add a couple years onto a talented players career it's a no decision for me at least. I don't find injuries entertaining.

Actually it seems like most people are saying it didn't look like he meant to hurt the guy, but he needs a wake up call.

That's hardly calling for his head.

Was it malicious, no, was it avoidable yes, I compare this to a high stick (like some one above me) my problem with the suspension is this:

1. It comes when he can not play anyway, he is suspended when he is too unhealthy to play. WEAK! To me that is like suspending a Pitcher in baseball for 4 games. WTF is the point!

2. It was for the wrong hit.

As I said I think of this one as similar to a high stick, it was a careless hit. He got his leg out before Gleason moved, and never took it back. That to me is more like having your stick in the air and not seeing the guy coming around the net and pop you smack him with your blade right on the chin. Intentional or not it is 2 min 4 if blood. Now the potential for serious injury is greater in this instance than the high stick, but depth of injury is not a reason for higher penalty in the NHL unless it is blood on a high stick.

Was there intent to hurt Gleason? I don't think so, so therefore for this hit the on ice call was enough penalty to me.

The boarding hit last week, now I thought he should have been suspended for. That was far more of an egregious act than the knee on knee hit.

Was it malicious, no, was it avoidable yes, I compare this to a high stick (like some one above me) my problem with the suspension is this:

1. It comes when he can not play anyway, he is suspended when he is too unhealthy to play. WEAK! To me that is like suspending a Pitcher in baseball for 4 games. WTF is the point!

2. It was for the wrong hit.

As I said I think of this one as similar to a high stick, it was a careless hit. He got his leg out before Gleason moved, and never took it back. That to me is more like having your stick in the air and not seeing the guy coming around the net and pop you smack him with your blade right on the chin. Intentional or not it is 2 min 4 if blood. Now the potential for serious injury is greater in this instance than the high stick, but depth of injury is not a reason for higher penalty in the NHL unless it is blood on a high stick.

Was there intent to hurt Gleason? I don't think so, so therefore for this hit the on ice call was enough penalty to me.

The boarding hit last week, now I thought he should have been suspended for. That was far more of an egregious act than the knee on knee hit.

In terms of the suspension coming at a time when he can't play anyway.....you can add me to the list that think it's quite possible that he was faking, or at least making his injury look worse than it was. Based on the way things looked on the ice, he looked to be in a lot of pain and he had to be helped off......then he practices the next day.