• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitWhat

Kane,Toews and Keith re-signed

Rate this topic

I heard Ken and Mickey saying something about the tagging rule and how it would apply to the Hawks ability to re-sign those players.

I guess the tagging rule doesn't exist or apply here?

This just in: Hawks will now play Kane/Toews/Hossa 30 minutes a night, the rest to be made up by AHL players.

Pretty much. They've painted themselves into a depth corner with 3 expensive forwards, 3 expensive d-men and 1 expensive goalie. Obviously they view the goalie and Campbell as disposable but it'll be interesting to see if they've got the balls to look these newly signed players in the eyes then demote Campbell and/or Huet to the minors. I can't see anyone wanting to sign there as a FA if they do that to either of those two.

Campbell and Huet will likely be shipped to another team along with picks or prospects in exchange for picks or very young prospects. With the laughable contracts Campbell and Huet are signed to and the general knowledge of the Hawks' cap situation they'll have to significantly sweeten the pot for whoever takes those two on. Huet is signed through next season, right?

I think the tagging rule is silly...I don't fully understand it, mind you, but why should you have to make moves in the present time because of cap you are going to be adding the next season? Doesn't make sense to me.... feel free to enlighten me on their logic ;)

Edited by T-Ruff

How credible is that site? I don't see any links to confirm that blog's statement from an actual news source.

It's on TSN too, and it was announced as breaking news at the very tail end of their 6:30 Sportscentre

TSN cites the same site, but they wouldn't put it up if there wasn't something to it

Edited by T-Ruff

How credible is that site? I don't see any links to confirm that blog's statement from an actual news source.

We already know that all three are signed in principle to contracts worth sightly over 6 million (in Keith's case) and somewhere between 6 and 6.5 million in Toews and Kane's cases. That much has been out of the bag for at least a month now (per TSN).

All they need to do is free up the tagging room for next season and they can sign the contracts.

We already know that all three are signed in principle to contracts worth sightly over 6 million (in Keith's case) and somewhere between 6 and 6.5 million in Toews and Kane's cases. That much has been out of the bag for at least a month now (per TSN).

All they need to do is free up the tagging room for next season and they can sign the contracts.

Yes but we all still had our doubts about them able to sign Keith. But anyway, can you explain to me the "tagging" you're all talking about?

Ok, so I'm interested in checking out the salary structure for the Hawks next season. Here's what I've found:

Forwards:

Toews--$6,000,000+

Kane--$6,000,000+

Hossa--$5,275,000 (signed until retirement)

Sharp--$3,900,000 (signed until 2012)

Bolland--$3,375,000 (signed until 2014)

Versteeg--$3,066,667 (signed until 2012)

Byfuglein--$3,000,000 (signed until 2011)

Kopecky--$1,200,000 (signed until 2012... lol)

Brouwer--$1,025,000 (signed until 2012)

Ladd--RFA

Madden--UFA

Eager--UFA

Burish--UFA

Fraser--UFA

Greentree--RFA

Ebbett--RFA

Bickell--RFA

F Total: $29,466,667 for 9 Forwards. 4 RFA and 4 UFA remain. 3 roster spots open.

Defense:

Campbell--$7,142,875 (signed at least through 2016...lol)

Kieth--$6,000,000+ (signed 13 years)

Seabrook--$3,500,000 (signed until 2011 then RFA)

Barker--$3,083,333 (signed until 2012 then RFA)

Sopel--$2,333,333 (signed until 2011-- at this price? seriously?!?)

Hjalmarsson--RFA

Hendry--RFA

D Total: $22,059,541 for 5 Defensemen. 2 RFA remain. 1 roster spot open.

Goaltenders:

Huet--$5,625,000 (signed until 2012)

Niemi--RFA

G Total: $5,625,000 for 1 Goaltender. 1 RFA remains. 1 roster spot open.

Team Total: $57,151,208+ for 9 Forwards, 5 Defensemen, 1 Goaltender. (rounds new contracts down to 6mil each)

Open spots: 3-4 Forwards, 1-2 Defense, 1 Goaltender (5-7 spots)

Assuming they sign minimum contract scrubs for those 5-8 spots that's another $2,500,000-$3,500,000 in salary.

Cap hit for next season without accounting for the overage of the three new contracts (all 3 assumed to be 6mil each):

$59,651,208-$60,651,208

Unsigned: 7 RFA, 4 UFA. None of these will sign for the league minimum. Especially Ladd, Eager, Burish, Hjalmarsson and Neimi.

Also note that their current roster is already over the cap by 4.6 million without accounting for these three new raises.

The Hawks are going to lose significant depth. I just don't see how they'll be able to retain Ladd, Eager, Burish, Hjalmarsson or Neimi. That's especially important to remember when they can only offer league minimum contracts AND are still over the cap. Hell, they're over the cap without the 5-7 players they have to sign.