• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

servo

Intent to blow whistle

Rate this topic

Well, the Wings aren't the only team that has gotten screwed by this! This wasn't as bad as the May call off (what could be?), but a little worse than the Cleary call off.

I was flipping through the Avs/Pens game and was watching the Avs on the power play. THe Avs shot the puck and T.J. Galiardi chips away at the puck in the crease, it goes over the line and the ref blows the whistle and calls it a no goal.

This has to stop! I hope the NHL changes this intent rule soon. I know Betmann loves it, but it is eroding the integrity of the game. Considering that we are losing 3 of the best refs in the league this year, I fear more errors by less experienced officials.

I cant imagine GM's will not be making a stink about this at the next GM meeting. I sure hope Kenny will.

Edit: Damn you Larue!! :shakes fist:

Edited by Statts

I saw this play tonight and while it was the wrong call (in that he shouldn't have blown the whistle), I can understand why he did. From the camera angle I saw, which is where the ref was, the puck went under Fleury's pads and looked to be frozen, before the puck then pops into the net. I actually think you'd see a high portion of refs blow the whistle on the same play.

Not really comparable to the May non-goal, which I still have no idea how that got screwed up.

I saw this play tonight and while it was the wrong call (in that he shouldn't have blown the whistle), I can understand why he did. From the camera angle I saw, which is where the ref was, the puck went under Fleury's pads and looked to be frozen, before the puck then pops into the net. I actually think you'd see a high portion of refs blow the whistle on the same play.

Not really comparable to the May non-goal, which I still have no idea how that got screwed up.

I can't understand why he did. It was a ridiculously quick whistle. There are plenty of times a puck is shot at the goalie and he makes the save and 1...2...whistle. This puck was shot, bounced through Fluery, crossed the line, whistle. The Refs should not have an intent to blow the whistle as soon as it touches a goaltender.

The problem is the rule. It gives Refs an opportunity to go back in time and stop the play where they see fit. That play should have been allowed to be played out. Fluery never made the save. That avs player scored a goal.

It was way too quick of a whistle(intent, since the puck was across the line when the whistle went) for that kind of play. The puck has been under goalies and whack, whack, whack away finally a whistle. That early Phoenix game, Ozzie had the puck under him. No whistle, the guy pushed Ozzie off the puck and put it into the net. Not trying to start anything about that game, over and done with. The point is the lengths of whistles at times, also the times they call goals back cause they intended to blow the whistle before the puck crossed the line but couldn't blow the whistle fast enough. Then that should be a goal. How dumb does that sound, "I wanted to blow the whistle before the puck moved across the line but..."

BEFORE IT CROSSED THE LINE! The puck was still moving but the ref is allowed to go back to before it crossed the line and say that's when the play stopped. How completely and utterly F'ed up does that sound? IF the puck goes into the net, it's a goal! The puck is moving, the goalie didn't make the save! Why does the NHL allow these to be called back?

Cleary's second goal against Calgary that was waived off was unfortunate but is believable. The Ref lost sight whistle blown. Puck was never in the net till after it actually bounced off the Ref's skate to Cleary who put it in.

With this Avs game, the puck was already in the net. Already in the net! Am I going crazy or something???

The way I see it, what is the point of even having a whistle if it's not the blowing of the whistle that kills the play, but rather the intent to blow it? If the ref wants to call a play dead, then fine. But the play should not officially be dead until the whistle does blow, not the second or two it takes him to put the damn thing in his mouth.

This rule really needs to be addressed, because it is the most stupid thing I have seen in any sport, when a goal is disallowed because the ref was about to blow the whistle. The clock doesn't stop until the whistle blows, so the play should not either!

I was watching this live and the puck was clearly loose just from the regular broadcast angle. Terrible call once again. Montreal had a couple of questionable penalties in this period as well. I don't think they played well enough to win this one anyway but the officiating in the 3rd certainly didn't help their chances.

The rule is embarssing. How many times this year are teams going to get hosed by it?

And how many times are the Penguins going to benefit from it? I mean, seriously. Colorado gets hosed, they're playing the Pens. Habs get hosed, they're playing the Pens. Once is a coincidence. Twice within a one week period is the beginning of a trend.

Edited by edicius

The rule is flat out dumb. Even if you ignore the fact that refs have their whistle on their lips redy to blow the play dead in tight situations it literally takes less than a second to raise your arm adn blow the whistle. What kills me is the logic behind this rule.

If you're intent is to blow the whistle now why is it in your hand by your side and not in your mouth? What stopped you from blowing the play dead when you intended to as opposed to when youa ctually did? It doesnt make sense. It creates a huge grey area which is unneccesary.

Plus, wasn't it the intention of the league to increase scoring coming out of the lockout? Why put rules in place that take goals away? Not to mention the fact it is a non-reviewable play, which is absurd. The play should be dead when the whistle blows. Period. THen that way plays are reviewable and there is a concrete basis to understand if a goal shoudl be counted or not. This rule puts too much power into one man's hands and creates too much potentiial for human error, which we've all seen on countless occassions this year.

The solution is so simple and easy to implement (because they already have the process in place to do so) that it is infuriating they have not done so yet -- yeah, Bettman tells us it will "probably come up at the next GM Meeting".

If the puck is shown to be in the net before the whistle, allow it to be reviewed by Toronto (they already review 100% of all goals) and allow them to overturn blatant erroneous "intended" whistles when the puck is shown to never be dead (like they can already overturn 90% of goals and non-goals). Simple, easy.... not done. Why not?

The refs seem to be using this rule more and more as their "get out of jail free" card and it quite frankly opens the door to abuse and corruption (yeah, yeah... unheard of in professional sports).

Edited by egroen