• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pavel Hossyukstrom

almost 2 months without a goal Lids

Rate this topic

Before I was just figuring Lids was starting off slow. Now it's December and it's getting scary! He doesn't even have 10 points yet. :scared: Does anybody ever remember Lids starting off like this in his career at all? I can't. Even the years he started a bit slower than usual he almost always turned it around by December. Why isn't he the same on the powerplay?

Edited by Pavel Hossyukstrom

People go on hot/cold streaks all the time.

Lidstrom typically produces more in the 2nd half of season.

And Lidstrom's job is to play defense first, being a defenseman.

Not worried at all.

yeah I know that but the offense came with it as well. I don't have a problem with his defense so far other than the usual 'once in a blue moon" gaffe he can have.

But the guy consistently year in year out has been able to put up over 50 points and 10 goals or more for the last 18 years including 60 in his rookie season.

I'm not too worried about the offensive production, I think it'll come back (to some extent). But, in my opinion, his defensive play has gotten worse. I've seen him make quite a few more mistakes this season than in the past.

You're really picking Lidstrom of all people to be worried about?

I'd be more worried that we're not seeing production from our forwards who are supposed to be producing.

Lidstrom is pretty much the last person on this team to worry about (other than his age).

I'm not too worried about the offensive production, I think it'll come back (to some extent). But, in my opinion, his defensive play has gotten worse. I've seen him make quite a few more mistakes this season than in the past.

This is my concern as well. Lidstrom has always produced points, but to me these always seemed like just a great bonus to his game, but not something I expect or rely on. However, I DO rely on his defensive abilities, and his 'rare mistakes' have gotten more frequent this season. He has slowed down, etc... but am I worried? No. He is still the best defensemen in the league, and is also our captain. He is performing his duties very well considering the ice time hes getting and the injuries we have.

You're really picking Lidstrom of all people to be worried about?

I'd be more worried that we're not seeing production from our forwards who are supposed to be producing.

Lidstrom is pretty much the last person on this team to worry about (other than his age).

Teams needs their offensive defensemen to produce like they should just as much as they need their forwards to produce like they should. Lidstrom shouldn't get a free pass on his offensive production just because his name is Lidstrom, the fact is that he is on pace for a third of the points he produced last season and less than a quarter of the goals, and that's not good.

Teams needs their offensive defensemen to produce like they should just as much as they need their forwards to produce like they should. Lidstrom shouldn't get a free pass on his offensive production just because his name is Lidstrom, the fact is that he is on pace for a third of the points he produced last season and less than a quarter of the goals, and that's not good.

This. Everyone on this team has to be accountable, especially the captain. Especially with all these players out, he needs to play even better.

I really dislike when people talk about 'on pace for' in arguments, like goal scoring and assists are linear calculations to be made. Lidstrom could come out on Saturday and get a goal and four assists. Who knows?

Yes, it's mildly concerning that Lidstrom hasn't produced like he has in the past, but he's 39. It's gotta be a very real factor in everyone's mind that while he's still obviously first-line caliber, he may not be the offensive threat he used to be as he gets older because he needs to focus more on defense.

I never said that Lidstrom should get a free pass; I said that he should be the least of our worries, because of all the players on the Wings, he's the one that's produced time and time again. Hell, the guy only missed two games when he had that unspeakable injury against Chicago.

Far more should be our concern over our forward lines, and having to use third/fourth liners like Bertuzzi and Leino in first and second line scoring roles.

That said, we're still in 10th with pretty much one of the worst lineups we've seen in the past two decades; as players return, we should see our fortunes turn around.

There is still plenty of time for Lidström to get going, and I can't say I'm too concerned about him. If his defensive play was shockingly below par, that would be worrying...

People should ask for dictionaries for Christmas so that they can learn the difference between disinterested and uninterested.

Think of it this way...We have so many injuries, that our pressure forwards aren't able to keep the puck in the other teams end like we used to, hence nick has to float back a little more than usual to cover their asses because lets face it, they're making a LOT of mistakes, and giving up a LOT of turnovers.

I'm dissapointed at his lack of production. I picked him up on my fantasy team and he's been a big bust. He's been good defensively, but fantasy is all about production, and he's decidedly down compared to previously years.

He's getting older, getting less ice-time, focusing more on the defensive side of things, babysitting Lebda/Meech/Ericsson and so on. We can't expect him to put up 10+ goals and 60+ points until he's 45. Someday his production has to drop, and I think the beforementioned factors contribute to that.

But he's still playing really good and he's pretty much the last player on the team I'm worried about.

I will say that his shot from the point is a bit of a concern. I'd like to see him blast one in someday soon, or atleast hit the target more. He's usually been the only one you can rely on to always get his shot through to the goal for deflections and rebounds, but lately that hasn't been the case and it's the only part of his game I'd really like to see him step up again.

LMAO

Entire team has been struggling and someone starts a thread about Lid's not scoring... What are the odds...

Yeah, our 6 time Norris Trophy winner has not scored in two months. This thread makes perfect sense.

Nope, Lidstrom is the best player in history and Datsyuk is disinterested and should be traded for a 7th rounder.

And you are just at idiot. <_<

I expect Lidstrom to be at least in the top 20 for scoring as a defenseman. To have 13 games over Jeff Finger and only one more point, or having less points the freaking Brooks Orpik is concerning. He is currently tied for 66th in defenseman scoring. That's with being in the top 20 for TOI, and 15th in PP TOI.

He needs to be better without a question. He is the leader and should be setting the example.

That said I have faith in him to turn it around, he has never shown otherwise.

I will say that his shot from the point is a bit of a concern. I'd like to see him blast one in someday soon, or atleast hit the target more. He's usually been the only one you can rely on to always get his shot through to the goal for deflections and rebounds, but lately that hasn't been the case and it's the only part of his game I'd really like to see him step up again.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone else to notice. I can recall only a couple of times this season where his point shot was actually on net. That has been his biggest drop off by far.

Guest micah
I expect Lidstrom to be at least in the top 20 for scoring as a defenseman. To have 13 games over Jeff Finger and only one more point, or having less points the freaking Brooks Orpik is concerning. He is currently tied for 66th in defenseman scoring. That's with being in the top 20 for TOI, and 15th in PP TOI.

He needs to be better without a question. He is the leader and should be setting the example.

That said I have faith in him to turn it around, he has never shown otherwise.

All of this.

Lidstrom is playing not marginally but markedly worse than he used to. I understand he's getting up there in years but his rate of decline strikes me as being unnatually steep. He's either hurt or he's underperforming. I hope it's the latter, and I hope he picks it up. The tteam needs Lids to be the best Dman in the league - to shut down other teams and to put points up. He's looked shakey at both this year.

Lids, Pavel and Z are the first guys we should be calling out, not the last. These are the men to whom much is given, and much should rightly be expected of them, even if they aren't surrounded by superstars.

Edited by micah

People need to start realizing and accepting that he is not the same player that he once was. I think his career is slowly coming to an end.

I should hope it is. It would be ridiculous if he was still a Norris contender at age 45.

Ridiculously awesome, but still ridiculous.