• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

Could Michigan Support Another NHL Team?

Rate this topic

I was reading that Phoenix thread and it got me thinking about their departure. Then I started to think of the states that have 2 NHL teams or more, and I wondered why Michigan doesn't? What do you think?

I was reading that Phoenix thread and it got me thinking about their departure. Then I started to think of the states that have 2 NHL teams or more, and I wondered why Michigan doesn't? What do you think?

Grand Rapids is probably the only market that could support it -- then you could move the Griffins to Kalamazoo, which would rule.

because our economy sucks, and everyone is a fan of the wings, and the wings cant sellout the place was half empty last night

Attendance sucked, but im pretty sure they were close to selling all the tickets. There was VERY little selection online...

because our economy sucks, and everyone is a fan of the wings, and the wings cant sellout the place was half empty last night

^^ This ^^

Why would we want another team? The team would just get obliterated by mass group of wings fan through out the state. It's like the Lakers and the Clippers, there's just no point.

Understand the sentiment but I just don't think there is a city with a big enough population (Grand Rapids - 197,800) left in Michigan to support an NHL team. Plus the Wings are special, no need for another team. (in my opinion).

As much as I dislike the city, Toronto could easily support a 2nd team. With an obvious Winnipeg bias, I'd like to see NHL return there.

Grand Rapids is probably the only market that could support it -- then you could move the Griffins to Kalamazoo, which would rule.

Van Andel wouldn't be able to support an NHL team. Even if it sold out every night, that team would have the lowest attendance in the league. And since it's so new, the city wouldn't build another arena. Even if you expanded it, it would still feel like a mini-stadium.

it really bothers me when people have tickets and dont go. if your not gunna go give the tickets away, the wings need support.

This. They always sell plenty of tickets, the season ticket holders just never go until the playoffs. I would love it if there was another NHL team in Michigan but its not going to happen.

Most people in Michigan love the Wings. So how do we expect them to start liking another team? Even the people that do go to the games won't be fans of the new team. They will be Wings fans who happen to go to another team's games because it's closer to where they lived. If the Wings sucked or something I could see fans leaving, but I don't think they will right now.

k-wings already have kzoo. i agree with u it would rule seeing griffens in kzoo but k-wings tickets are cheap and its still good hockey

Aside from the financial argument that the Michigan economy can't support what's here already, let's ask the sentimental reason.

Why would we want another NHL team? Like others have already said, the Wings are special to Michiganders. It's a storied franchise that has the following of the entire state, even in the UP where they have virtually no connection to anything Detroit. The state (whether attendance shows it) lives and dies with the Wings. You see shows of support in every hole in the wall bar every year, even in places where there are no Pistons or Tigers memorabilia.

I wouldn't want to dilute that fan base.

Michigan can barely support its citizenry, much less the hockey team it already has. You want to add another team to the mix? Awesome. Yup, because right now what the state of Michigan and all the people living within her borders needs is another sports team they can't afford to support. Wahoo.

If you are putting another team in Michigan, it goes one of four places.

Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Lansing, or Flint.

Anywhere else and we're either talking within the territorial range of the Wings, or in a low population area with much lower chance of supporting the team.

I may be biased, but Ann Arbor would be the best bet because it's an equal size metropolitan area as Lansing and Flint, but can draw more from cities outside of its metro area such as Plymouth, Livonia, Canton, Brighton, Jackson, etc. which exceeds by a large margin what Flint or Lansing would be able to draw in, and brings it at least equal to Grand Rapids in overall population draw. Beyond that, Ann Arbor has a large workforce employed by UM with secure jobs, as well as a student population that often has disposable income that could pay for tickets.

Understand the sentiment but I just don't think there is a city with a big enough population (Grand Rapids - 197,800) left in Michigan to support an NHL team. Plus the Wings are special, no need for another team. (in my opinion).

As much as I dislike the city, Toronto could easily support a 2nd team. With an obvious Winnipeg bias, I'd like to see NHL return there.

Grand Rapids metro has 770,000 people. The Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland Area has 1.35 million people. So yes there is enough people to support an NHL team in that area. It still probably wouldnt work though.