• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

Could Michigan Support Another NHL Team?

Rate this topic

Guest zackmorris

When the economy picks up and all is back to normal, then this could be brought up. That said, even then I'd say no. Just because some states have multiple teams doesn't mean they should. It'd feel wrong somehow to have another pro Michigan hockey team. This is Hockeytown like it or not, and Detroit is our team.

Something would just feel strange and wrong if we had another team.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

No.

Correct me if i'm wrong, Michigan is finacially f***ed as is, I think that state has enough problems going on right now, the last thing anyone there is thinking about is a new NHL team?

Cool name for a team in Michigan though, Saginaw Snowsqualls.

No.

Correct me if i'm wrong, Michigan is finacially f***ed as is, I think that state has enough problems going on right now, the last thing anyone there is thinking about is a new NHL team?

Cool name for a team in Michigan though, Saginaw Snowsqualls.

"Snowsqualls"? Come on. Saginaw Slappers maybe.

Guest ZetterbergFourty
"Snowsqualls"? Come on. Saginaw Slappers maybe.

:lol:

It's a made up team with a made up name. I like Snowsqualls, it sounds cool :lol:

"Slappers" are you serious? That's just asking for the team to be ridiculed.

:lol:

It's a made up team with a made up name. I like Snowsqualls, it sounds cool :lol:

"Slappers" are you serious? That's just asking for the team to be ridiculed.

Yah! I was kidding. But if you think that the "Snowsqualls" would get treatment that's any better, then I'd have to disagree!

Now maybe if they were the Blistering Snowsqualls. That'd be a different story.

Guest ZetterbergFourty
Yah! I was kidding. But if you think that the "Snowsqualls" would get treatment that's any better, then I'd have to disagree!

Now maybe if they were the Blistering Snowsqualls. That'd be a different story.

I was thinking just "Squalls" actually, I thought adding the "Snow" made it seem Mighty Duckish if you know what I mean, adding Blistering or something would be right at that level. Saginaw has an OHL team already anyways. The Spirit.

There was talk like this of the Ontario getting another team, half these places already have fanbases and arenas, etc. for OHL or other established teams.

A second in Michigan would have to be landed by a big enough city. Here in Ontario, they basically have two options, Hamilton, or London.

The westside of the state might be able to support a team. A new arena would have to be built first though. Van Andel only holds around 10,000 or so.

That being said, it is unlikely MI would or could support a second team, even if there was a decent economy.

I also think some of you are vastly overestimating how much the state cares about the Wings. Yes, we definitely have one of the best fanbases in hockey. But I'd argue in MI, the Wings rank behind the Lions and Tigers, and probably UM and MSU football.

Guest ZetterbergFourty
The westside of the state might be able to support a team. A new arena would have to be built first though. Van Andel only holds around 10,000 or so.

That being said, it is unlikely MI would or could support a second team, even if there was a decent economy.

I also think some of you are vastly overestimating how much the state cares about the Wings. Yes, we definitely have one of the best fanbases in hockey. But I'd argue in MI, the Wings rank behind the Lions and Tigers, and probably UM and MSU football.

I'm thinking in the very south-western part of Ontario (Everything west of London) has support for the Red Wings. I know they do out in Windsor, Sarnia, and other small places along the border, er, river. They used to play some of their home games in Windsor ya know.

Edit: Though, you mean government wise. *** this I need some sleep. :lol:

Edited by ZetterbergFourty

Guest Crymson
I was reading that Phoenix thread and it got me thinking about their departure. Then I started to think of the states that have 2 NHL teams or more, and I wondered why Michigan doesn't? What do you think?

No offense, but were you on crack when you wrote this post?

I don't think..at all..that there is enough of a

market and enough $ to support another team here.

HOWEVER

I'm tired of all the bashing around this forum. Can't everyone be mature enough to disagree with someones opinion without being a jack@as when presenting their own??

Guest lnvincible
If your going to move it anywhere i would have to say London, ONT ;)
Or somewhere in the southern Ontario, because its a HUGEE market,

I don't think..at all..that there is enough of a

market and enough $ to support another team here.

HOWEVER

I'm tired of all the bashing around this forum. Can't everyone be mature enough to disagree with someones opinion without being a jack@as when presenting their own??

Or how about just not posting if they don't have anything to say?

No, the demographics of Michigan makes it hard to support another NHL team. Over half of Michigan's population live in the south-east part of the state, leaving no other LARGE city to support a team. I do think when the economy turns around (eventually?) that it could handle another AHL team, for sure. Lansing or Ann Arbor would be good spots, perhaps?

Guest ZetterbergFourty

It's fairly easy to skip right past s*** you'd rather not read. I'm not really sure because I've never tried to find it, but there's probably an option where you are able to ignore certain posters all together. Instead of bitching about it, be proactive and find a solution.