• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

With cap room next season, what is our priority?

Rate this topic

With cap room next season, what is our priority? I was thinking about this lately. Next offseason is going to be interesting since Holland will have some money to play with. But who or what type of player do we go after? Do we trade or pick up an UFA?

These are questions I have. I think we need someone solid to fill in for Lebda or will Kindl get a full time spot? Or maybe we find a #1 young projected dman (who, I don't know?). I Think we also need to find another secondary scoring threat.

What are your thoughts?

Drake Markus, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

Personally, I'd like to go after 2 things:

a goal-scoring forward, someone who shoots the puck and can skate with Pavel so we can keep Franzen with Z ... 20-30 goal, 50 pt potential ...

a defensive defenseman to replace Lilja, assuming he's not coming back ... a big body, stay-at-home, shot-blocking defenseman ...

Taking a look at the past couple years and the fact that we need to start looking at the post-Lidstrom era I expect the Wings to look for investing in a defensman.

I doubt that the Wings will invest in a big name Dman until Nick or Raffi is actually gone. I just don't see any roster openings on the back end next year....

Nick/Rafi

Kronner/Stewie

E/Kindl (I believe Kindl he is out of minor league options but correct me if I'm wrong)

ex: Meech (RFA but he will be cheap to retain as a utility player)

I could see them picking up another cheaper vet Dman similar to Lils to help cut down on Nicks PK time.

As far as cap space, we should go after a top 6 winger (Tanguay, Frolov).

I think they will go after a goalie possibly. Howard has been doing pretty good but will he be god to go as a starter? I mean every year that apsses, Ozzy is only getting older. I think once Mule comes back and flip and Williams and all, that the offense won't seem to be as much of problem. Definitley need a defensemen too.

I think the Wings are going to go after Jokinen and Kariya

Franzen-Datsyuk-Jokinen

Cleary-Zetterberg-Leino

Kariya-Filppula-Abdelkader

Helm-Draper-Tatar

I would like to see that line-up.

Horrible pick up, I hate pumpkinhead, and Kariya would never come to detroit

Horrible pick up, I hate pumpkinhead, and Kariya would never come to detroit

Ok. I'll try your approach.

I would take Martin Brodeur, Zdeno Chara, Joe Thornton, and Sidney Crosby.

The guys you mentioned aren't going anwhere, Shaman. So as "horrible" as you think pumpkinhead is and as unmoveable as you think Kariya is, they are the two players most likely to get dumped and reacquired at a better rate.

Forsberg

lol I was gonna say him and Hjalmarsson. There's a 99.9% probabilty neither of them will come here, but that's what we need: a secondary scoring threat and a really solid d-man. Depending on whether Lidstrom retires or not we might need more, we might need to go after a real no.1 goalie.

How about Semin or backstrom?

Semin would be sweet.. but the Caps are gonna do what the Hawks and Pens have done, lock up their core. Ovie, Semin, Backstrom, Green and Varlamov are the guys they'll build their team around for the next decade or more. They won't let them go.

Edited by dat's sick

Kindl will absolutely be on the Wings roster next year. Personally, I'd like to see him as a 7th D-man next season to get him eased into the league. With the freed up money next year I wouldnt mind an Anton Volchenkov type addition to the blueline. That would knock down Lidstrom's PK minutes.

Right now, with both Osgood and Howard signed to contracts next year I don't see the Wings signing a goalie. It's unfortuante because I really do like Jonas Hiller. If some how one of our two goalies are gone I think we look to the future with a signing like Hiller.

A complimentary scoring forward would be good but we can't break the bank to do it. I like Frolov because I think he has untapped potential and we may be able to get him at a relatively decent price. Plus, it's been too long since we've had some players with last names ending in 'ov.

Considering both Semin and Backstrom are RFAs I sincerely doubt they're even looked at. The Wings aren't in the business of moving that many picks. Even though I think the return is unreal in either player. EIther way, I think both players will command too much for us to handle. Either way, it probably won't matter, I cant see the Caps letting either guy even have the chance to go anywhere. Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom, and Semin are their core. They'll do anything to keep them.

I just read an article about Filatov and why he left Columbus. In the interview he mentioned that he plans on coming back to the nhl next year, but there's obviously some issues between him and Hitchcock.

I would absolutely love for the Wings to trade for this kid's rights, but I understand that possibility is next to zero.

Ok. I'll try your approach.

I would take Martin Brodeur, Zdeno Chara, Joe Thornton, and Sidney Crosby.

The guys you mentioned aren't going anwhere, Shaman. So as "horrible" as you think pumpkinhead is and as unmoveable as you think Kariya is, they are the two players most likely to get dumped and reacquired at a better rate.

Well first, Pumpkinhead cant even produce with Iginla, what makes you think he will in detroit? and if he does will he come at a decent rate? I doubt it, hes going to get 4.5+. Kariya won't come to Detroit because, first they wont offer him anywhere close to 6 million a year, second, because hes a 3rd liner in detroit, hes going to stay where he can get the minutes hes use to, third he seems more like a Forsberg like player, hes played so long and so hard against detroit, I doubt hed want to come here.

My suggestion of Frolov and Armstrong are more realistic, they are both young, hungry, and are on teams that don't give them a good chance at a cup run. Detroit has cap room, can give them competitive contracts, and a proven winning and classy origination. Why take those old men when we can get younger players who aren't out of their prime (and in Jokinen's case, will never be as good as his 2 best seasons were) and don't look like pumpkins?

Edited by Shaman464

Just a question, so don't flame me.

Do you think there is any chance that Holland would be willing to give up our first round pick for a young soon-to-be-star type player from a non-playoff team? A young player that would be worth giving up the first rounder for?

I like to keep the 1st pick put it sucks waiting 5 or 6 years to see him crack the line-up. If we could get our hands on an already great young player that could step in and really help, who would that be?

Since much of the moves over the past few years (excluding Hossa and Stuart) have been depth moves, I expect them to go for someone with pure offensive talent. The defensive system works and all, but they've focused so much on that that players seem to have forgotten how to score. They need someone who is a pure scorer to remind them. Likewise, I expect defense to be a priority the year after. There really isn't room for any defense additions on the roster, except for depth moves to replace Lebda and Meech. I fully expect our D corps to look like:

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericcsson-New Guy/Kindl

On offense though there will be quite a few openings I would imagine:

Williams

Bertuzzi (unless he kicks it into high gear, of course)

And the likes of Miller, Eaves, May, Draper, Holmstrom might be opening up.

Obviously some of those guys will resign, but those are potential openings.

Well first, Pumpkinhead cant even produce with Iginla, what makes you think he will in detroit? and if he does will he come at a decent rate? I doubt it, hes going to get 4.5+. Kariya won't come to Detroit because, first they wont offer him anywhere close to 6 million a year, second, because hes a 3rd liner in detroit, hes going to stay where he can get the minutes hes use to, third he seems more like a Forsberg like player, hes played so long and so hard against detroit, I doubt hed want to come here.

My suggestion of Frolov and Armstrong are more realistic, they are both young, hungry, and are on teams that don't give them a good chance at a cup run.

Frolov and Armstrong are building blocks. Teams don't trade building blocks unless they're planning on winning it all that year with the player they get in return. The chances of Frolov getting away from the Kings are the same as the chances of Datsyuk leaving the Wings.

Jokinen - 3 years, 12 million

Kariya - 3 years, 9 million

I don't expect them to spend big money on defensemen until Lidstrom retires because until then we can let some of our D prospects develop.

Kindl will be up next season and he's the tools to be a top 4.

Kolosov is probably 2 years away and is a Big stay at home defenseman.

Kronwall is already a solid number 2 despite being stuck behind Rafalski.

Stuart has been a rock defensively this season.

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

E-Kindl

So you add in over the next few years guys like Kolosov, Pyett and Smith who could very well fight for spots on the bottom pairing. Until Lidstrom exits I think the Wings will just hold steady and see how the prospects develop.

Frolov and Armstrong are building blocks. Teams don't trade building blocks unless they're planning on winning it all that year with the player they get in return. The chances of Frolov getting away from the Kings are the same as the chances of Datsyuk leaving the Wings.

Jokinen - 3 years, 12 million

Kariya - 3 years, 9 million

I wouldn't take either of them for those cap hits. Kariya is pushing 40 and way out of his prime, and Jokinin will want more than 3 years at 4 million a year. He will want 5 years probably at 24+. He had 2 great season, but hes going to be a career 65 pt a season player, maybe more, maybe less. Hes not worth what he will want. Period.

Edited by Shaman464

Do we even know if the cap is going up next year? Lots of empoty seats all around the NHL, still no major television deal... I can't see how even clearing out Lidstrom's and Holmstrom's deals would create that much room if the cap were to go down.