• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

With cap room next season, what is our priority?

Rate this topic

Just my opinion, and I don't know if anyone else has said this, but I honestly think the team is going to be very much the same as this year. I don't think they will resign Bert, unless he really steps it up soon. I have my doubts about Maltby coming back, but I could totally see Holland out of loyalty signing him. (yes I know loyalty isn't going to win games) Homer will likely be back with the year he is having, unless he just completely tanks. Eaves and Miller will probably be back at a cheap rate. The only thing I really see happening is maybe signing one 2nd line forward with the space from Bertuzzi. Maybe getting a vetern D-man for around what Lilja was making. Howard has impressed me (can't believe I am saying that) so far this year, so he will probably be #1 next year with Ozzie in his last year.

Offense:

Holmstrom (1) - Datsyuk (6.7) - Kovalchuk (6)

Franzen (3.955) - Zetterberg (6.093) - Cleary (2.8)

Leino (.8) - Filppula (3) - Helm (.750)

Abdelkader (.850) - Draper (1.583) - Miller (.525)

May (.500)

Defense:

Lidstrom (4.25) - Ralfaski (6)

Stuart (3.75) - Kronwall (3)

Kindl (.883) - Ericsson (.9)

*stay at home* (.500)

Goalies:

Osgood (1.42)

Howard (.72)

ROSTER SIZE 22

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $55,962,876

CAP SPACE $837,124

Won't happen, so don't get excited. But wouldn't it be exciting to see Kovalchuk in a winged wheel jersey?

kovalchuk...please!

beyond that dream sequence....I NEED TECH SUPPORT!

frolov (good fit)

horton ( supposedly on the table)

stempniak (check his stats people...very consistant!)

booth ( injured right now....serious potential)

we need scorers!

we have a good balance of defenseman/goalies/grinders

I'm much more worried about our defense then our offense. With Franzen and Flippula back we have a pretty solid top 6, and our bottom six has been very surprising this year.

Where as with Lidstrom's and Rafalski's decline we'll need to rely more heavily on other defensemen than we have in the past.

I'm much more worried about our defense then our offense. With Franzen and Flippula back we have a pretty solid top 6, and our bottom six has been very surprising this year.

Where as with Lidstrom's and Rafalski's decline we'll need to rely more heavily on other defensemen than we have in the past.

Well said. Unfortunately, they are both going downhill. We need to sign a #1 or #2 D-man. Ericsson isn't there yet and IMO Kronwall is going to max out ar #3/#4.

Well said. Unfortunately, they are both going downhill. We need to sign a #1 or #2 D-man. Ericsson isn't there yet and IMO Kronwall is going to max out ar #3/#4.

I think even Kronwall, Stuart, Ericsson is an alright top 3. If we could add a guy like Brent Seabrook, in that mold, we'd be fine. Not even mentioning the fact Lidstrom is probably going to come back, he just needs some help.

Kronwall was 11th in defensive scoring league-wide last year, lead the playoffs in assists in 07-08 and was leading the d in scoring when he was injured.

I have a hard time ruling him out as a future #1 d-man. In fact, on pretty most teams in the league he'd already be the #1 d-man.

You're right that Ericsson isn't ready for a top 2 spot yet, I'd be shocked if he got there in only one year of NHL play. Ideally, I'd like to see Ericsson on the second pairing next year to give him more mins to grow and mature. I'd expect Kindl to be the #6 d-man who gets a bit of PK and PP time depending on his play (obviously right now he's riding it a bit high since this is his first NHL call-up, things will settle down and he'll make mistakes in his rookie season, as you expect from a young guy).

Futhermore, separating Kindl and Ericsson is key since they're both too young and inexperienced to be paired together.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Rafalski-Ericsson

Stuart-Kindl

That gives the pairings a good mix of veterans and youth to help mitigate rookie errors.

Kronwall will be the number 1 guy. He's only gotten better with each year and he's really becoming an anchor for the team defensively when Lidstrom isn't out there. Remember, he's looking good on a team where has to compete with Lidstrom and Rafalski, two of the biggest names in defense. On any other team Kronwall would be a #1 or #2, and a good one at that.

I really think that Kronwall and Stuart would make a solid 1/2 pair on the blueline. My concern is that it seems that we always lack that stay at home, physical, shutdown guy on the blueline that will log a lot of pk time. A guy like Lilja or Lilja himself really is what is needed. The Red Wings tend to draft puck moving defenseman who have more difficulty than normal clearing the crease and get physically beat up in the corners. It would be great if we could find a Chris Pronger style defenseman w/o the goonish tendencies. Or for those who detest Chris Pronger, a Konstantinov like defenseman. One guy I wouldn't mind going after is Jack Johnson in LA.

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Rafalski-Ericsson

Stuart-Kindl

That gives the pairings a good mix of veterans and youth to help mitigate rookie errors.

This works for me, if the minutes are dispersed more evenly than most team's 1-2-3 lines. Stuart getting third line is horrible. If they all got between 16 and 22... WIN.

Physical defenseman. There are plenty that I'd take that are UFA's. Perfect world would be Volchenkov(UFA), Ian White(RFA) or Wisniewski(RFA) but I doubt it. Jay McKee(UFA) more realistically.

Wade Belak/Derek Boogaard if May retires. Need that physical presence.

Offensively I'd like to see either Lombardi or Stajan. Draper-Helm-Lombardi for a 4th line would be absolutely sick.

First of all I dont understand the love for s***ty Leaf players in this thread. I live in Toronto and see a ton of Leaf games and let me tell you that Ian White is far from a true physical defenseman. He has a good shot and moves decently but he is prone to turning the puck over and is far too small to be considered a physical force out there. Any person who would want Matt Stajan on their team is dillusional. He is absolutely terrible. He's weak on the puck, slow, and has absolutely zero finish. The only way I would sign Stajan to a contract would be if he was guarenteed to play 40 games in Grand Rapids on the 3rd line and then dress the remaining 42 games in Grand Rapids as the mascot.

Also, I dont understand the love for Ponikarovski ok this thread either. He's solid I guess but he never uses his size to his advantage and disappears more often than he produces quality games. I'd rather we didnt sign more Leafs rejects.

Assuming Lids stays, our main focus will be on reloading the forwards. I would like to see.

Franzen-Dats-Z

Cleary- Flip- Stajan

Helm-Abby-Lieno

HW Fighter- Draper- Agitator/MW

Eaves or Miller as the 7th

Lids- E

Stuart- Kronner

Kindl- Raffi

Not sure about the D pairings, but Kindl and E probably shouldn't be playing together.

Everyone is talking about D pairings and I think giving Kindl a full top six spot will be contingent on how Ericsson finishes out the season. If Ericsson can be counted on all year long the way he was counted on in last year's playoffs then I think we'll see a balanced three pairing d core. Somethign like:

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Rafalski - Kronwall

Stuart - Kindl

#1 priority should be goaltending. Ozzie is getting to old and Howard not yet ready to be the #1

Howard is looking beter every game. I see him as our eventual #1. Ozzie has 1-2 more years left in him.

We also have Larsson behind Howard. The Wings are not going to go out and get another goaltender.