• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Top Ten GM's of the past Decade

Rate this topic

I laughed at virtually all of those except for a couple. And yes, I didn't even think there was a debate over whether or not Holland was the best. He is far and away the best GM of the decade.

It seemed the standards for the others were simply not having their team be dead last every year.

Surprised to see Shero up so high. He has done well, but when you start out with guys like Malkin and Crosby and only have to pick and choose a depth guy or two to work with, how much have you been tested in your career?

I would also like to point out how lucky Shero was that Hossa turned down his multi-million dollar offer. Had he accepted that deal, they would have been in such cap hell they would have lost guys like Orpik and would not have been able to get Guerin at the trade deadline. So basically, no cup in 09 and a repeat for Detroit had Hossa stayed put.

Edited by Doc Holiday

So Mike Keenan was bad, but can you really keep Sutter out of the top ten when he started with only Iginla and no prospects and turned the Flames into a contending team on a five year playoff appearence streak?

I guess drafting in the top five is what makes a GM good (exception Lou and Holland).

Edited by adubs

So Mike Keenan was bad, but can you really keep Sutter out of the top ten when he started with only Iginla and no prospects and turned the Flames into a contending team on a five year playoff appearence streak?

I guess drafting in the top five is what makes a GM good (exception Lou and Holland).

agreed on that. I'm very much not sold on Shero and most certainly not on Burke,

who fu* up 2 teams before coming to Anaheim and winning the cup (and then too

leaving huge mess behind him). I'm not trying to say he is a terrible GM, but I don't

necessarily consider trading away talented youth for a short-term boost is what

constitutes the best GM.

and Poile of Nashville does sure like hell deserve some consideration.

but then... where's Mike Milbury? ;) he should be right there behind Kenny and Lou ;)

Burke at #3?

Okay first off, he wasn't great in Vancouver, just extremely outspoken. Next he INHERITED the Ducks while making their whole situation a mess, and with just under a season under his belt with the Leafs, he blew their future and potentially getting Hall or Seguin by acquiring Kessel. I do agree with the rest of the list though, with the exception of Jay Feaster being there.

agreed on that. I'm very much not sold on Shero and most certainly not on Burke,

who fu* up 2 teams before coming to Anaheim and winning the cup (and then too

leaving huge mess behind him). I'm not trying to say he is a terrible GM, but I don't

necessarily consider trading away talented youth for a short-term boost is what

constitutes the best GM.

and Poile of Nashville does sure like hell deserve some consideration.

but then... where's Mike Milbury? ;) he should be right there behind Kenny and Lou ;)

I think Burke is very overrated. That's not to say he's a bad GM but I jsut see him as a good short term guy. He's willing to mortgage a franchises future to bolster his team today because he knows he won't be around in 6-8 years to have to face the mess he created. I will give him credit where credit is due, he did produce a cup in Anaheim. But at what cost? It's really a matter of opinion though, very few guys can do what Holland and Lou have done. Not many franchises can have continued playoff success while drafting well. To say guys like Shero are great GMs because they had top 3 picks five years in a row with strong drafts (or whatever the numebrs are) is pretty ridiculous. I could have drafted Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Staal. Not that Im bashing the Pens but the point is to be an elite GM in this league you have to win now and build for the future at the same time. I can really only say the Wings and Devils have done that over the last 10-15 years. That's why both these teams make the playoffs every year and legitamately have a shot at winning it all.

Guest zackmorris

1. Holland

2. Lou

3. who cares

4. who cares

5. who cares

6. who cares

7. who cares

8. who cares

9. who cares

10. who cares

90. brian burke

Edited by zackmorris

I think Burke is very overrated. That's not to say he's a bad GM but I jsut see him as a good short term guy. He's willing to mortgage a franchises future to bolster his team today because he knows he won't be around in 6-8 years to have to face the mess he created. I will give him credit where credit is due, he did produce a cup in Anaheim.

and produced a huge mess in Vancouver which cost multiple years to fix.

and as far as I remember (wasn't a huge ice hockey fan back then) he didn't really win a cup with Whalers either

But at what cost? It's really a matter of opinion though, very few guys can do what Holland and Lou have done. Not many franchises can have continued playoff success while drafting well. To say guys like Shero are great GMs because they had top 3 picks five years in a row with strong drafts (or whatever the numebrs are) is pretty ridiculous. I could have drafted Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Staal. Not that Im bashing the Pens but the point is to be an elite GM in this league you have to win now and build for the future at the same time. I can really only say the Wings and Devils have done that over the last 10-15 years. That's why both these teams make the playoffs every year and legitamately have a shot at winning it all.

knowing Puck Daddy love for Sindy & co. I am actually glad the guy didn't end up 1st on this list.

because this was definitely possible

Guest zackmorris

Why anyone takes Puck Daddy seriously I'll never know. I'm pretty sure the qualifications needed to write for Y! Sports would be something along the lines of living within close proximity of the office.

He's bad, but man....he's no Brad Evans. That guy has the most annoying writing style I've ever read.

Puck Daddy actually does have some knowledge and balls to write things straight.

but the guy (or guys, I'm not quite sure) is pretty obviously biased. but then...

I'd rather read comprehensive and biased opinions than nice stuff missing the point.

but that's me