• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Green Wing

Darren McCarty officially retires.

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=301486

Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Long-time Red Wing forward Darren McCarty, who has yet to play in the NHL this season, announced his retirement on Monday.

The 37-year-old posted one goal and one assist in 16 combined games in a brief stint with the Wings from 2007-09.

A second-round pick in the 1992 draft by Detroit, McCarty made his NHL debut in 1993 and spent the first 11 seasons of his career there before signing with Calgary in 2005 and lasting two seasons.

In 758 games, he recorded 127 goals, 288 points and 1,477 penalty minutes. Over 174 playoff contests, McCarty racked up 23 goals and 49 points.

His most notable moment occurred in the fourth and deciding game of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, when he skated around Flyers defenseman Janne Niinimaa and goaltender Ron Hextall en route to the eventual Cup-winning goal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=508980

"I'm very proud to have played for as long as I did, with so many great teammates and to have been a part of all those strong teams, especially the four Stanley Cup-winning teams in Detroit," McCarty said in a statement released by the NHL Players' Association. "Playing with and against the best players in the world for the past 15 years has been an amazing experience. I'd like to thank my family, teammates, coaches, the Red Wings and Flames organizations, and the fans for helping me realize my dreams.

"It was a great ride. I appreciate what the game has given me and I'm happy with what I was able to accomplish as a hockey player, but now I'm excited for the next chapter," McCarty said.

For me, it's almost as if another era has ended. I will miss him very much. To me, he and Stevie were the heart of the Wings. I don't care about his personal past. He gave so much to the Wings and their fans and for that I will always be grateful. I do hope and pray that he does indeed have a bright future.

Thank you and God bless you, Mac.

:thumbup:

Edited by Vladifan

Aw man. A great ride indeed. I'll always remember him for that beat down on claude turtle lemieux. That goal against the Flyers will forever be engraved in my heart for the winged wheel as well. Best of luck to you D-Mac! Thanks for all of those wonderful memories :)

I'll always remember D-Mac as a guy who made the most out of what he had and brought it every night. He wasn't the most talented player, but he was gritty and stood up for his teammates. He learned a lot from Shanny and had a couple good offensive seaons there as well. It's no wonder he is still so popular. Thanks for everything Mac, good luck behind the TV desk, and hope that you're welcomed around the Red Wings organization for years to come.

I love Mac and always will. As others have mentioned, I don't think about his later years and the troubles that found him. They're his personal issues, and he's addressed them and come out the better for it, I believe. He literally saved his own life -- or rather, the game that he loves and the men who love him (his Red Wing team mates) helped him save himself.

I will remember his grit and determination, his clutch goals, his joyful face and gap-toothed grin, his wonderful sense of humor, his loyalty -- I will alway see him in my mind's eye, ushering the rest of the team off the ice after a hard-fought period. Last man through the door, every game he was out there. It was as if he was protecting them all, making sure no one could get to them - not on his watch.

Mac has touched my heart so many times as a Wing, I can't count the instances anymore. All the best and may good luck follow you, where ever you go.

Always a Red Wing to me, #25!!

Excuse me while I shed a tear over yet another of my favorite guys leaving the game they made so special for me. :crybaby:

Edited by puckloo39

D-Mac, you will be missed... thank you for giving me the best childhood I could ask for.

Here's to 1997.

Here's to 1998.

Here's to the Red Wings.

And here's to Darren McCarty.

Cheers everyone

:beerbuddy:

Great career. I just hope he gets clean again.

He has been clean for over 2 years now.

Anyways, I hope my favorite all time Wing enjoys his post NHL days.

Edited by cjm502

dang, i wish he could have one more year in a wings uniform. hes my favorite hockey player, hopefully he has a good retirement and hopefully he can land a coaching job or something in the hockey business