• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

franzen to miss playoffs? (if wings make it)

Rate this topic

Didn't expect him to be ready for the olympics, but it's a real bummer if he's not going to be able to play before the playoffs, or even worse if he won't be back until next year.

He must be pretty angry. They have a quote in that article from before the games in sweden where he mentions he hopes to stay healthy this season since he's had knee injuries every year except his first in the league. :(

I don't trust anything that isn't put out by wings staff or from official channels like Free Press or Mlive

Good thing he's not the Red Wings' team physician. The Wings expect Franzen to return immediately after the Olympic break, though they don't presume that he'll return at 100% effectiveness.

Per Mlive

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/12/te...expect_red.html

Edited by Shaman464

Fischer didn't ever regain his form after his ACL tear, and it took him a year and a half to get back to 90% of how he skated before. The good news with Franzen is that he wasn't exactly hell on wheels with his skating in the first place, so this type of injury hurts him less than it does someone that utilizes good skating (Fischer). I just hope he's in the line-up when round 2 starts.

Franzen himself has been optimistic, saying that he thinks he could make to the Olympics... If he is thinking about the Olympics, then I doubt he would be out the whole season, right?Dystra rapporter

Franzén hoppas att vara tillbaka på is i januari och åka på egen hand. Men förbundskapten

I can't read swedish, but that looks like it says something like:

"Franen hopes blah blah blah back in January"

Edited by cupforwings

Guest lnvincible
Even though I'm a huge wings fan, if they are without Franzen during the playoffs, the wings aren't going far.

First off i wont believe anything until TSN confirms it, and second im more worried about Detroit MAKING the playoffs.

Fischer didn't ever regain his form after his ACL tear, and it took him a year and a half to get back to 90% of how he skated before. The good news with Franzen is that he wasn't exactly hell on wheels with his skating in the first place, so this type of injury hurts him less than it does someone that utilizes good skating (Fischer). I just hope he's in the line-up when round 2 starts.

what the hell are you talking about? Do you know anything about hockey, or even skating?

first, Fischer was never a speedskater either and second, an ACL injury is HUGE for ALL skaters, let alone for skaters like Franzen which rely on balance and strength more than speed... if anything, this affects someone like him MORE

Edited by stevkrause

ACL is all about balance, not power, power comes from your muscles, Franzens ability to stride and hit come from his thighs (like most skaters) the problem there is atrophy sets in from not using the muscles around the leg, depending on how long the leg is inactive atrophy obviously gets worse.

But as far as balance and stride like stevkrause above me said, it is huge for all skaters, speedster or clunker, Darren Helm or Tomas Holmstrom.

I have been 2 years with a knee injury (far worse than ACL), and my knee will never be the same. Hiking sucks balls, because every step down the mountain hurts, twisting my knee between rocks and roots, and makes me more timid and more annoying to the group I am in.

But I can push as hard as I want with my legs against anything I want, no pain. unless I lock my knee which is how I broke it to begin with.

By no means am I a knee injury expert, but knee injuries (especially ACL) are so common in sports that the understanding needed is there.

An ACL injury is hard to come back from after an off season, let alone to come back during the same season?

Mule may not be mule until next playoffs.

skaters like Franzen which rely on balance and strength more than speed... if anything, this affects someone like him MORE

ehhhh....I agree with your first point, but saying that it effects his type of play MORE is a stretch. Balance is an all-body function (including equilibrioception). Strength maybe...but the continual movement/flexing of ACL is most predominant cause of re-aggravation of the ACL.

But I agree, ACL is huge for any hockey player.

Well, it's a good thing we locked up his cap hit until he's about 40 then! This would be the downside to all these stupid long-term deals around the league. The Islanders are already realizing the DiPietrio disaster, and teams like Chicago and Detroit will regret it too. It's only really worthwhile to make a deal that long if it's a once-in-a-generation player (like Crosby or Ovechkin) and you're almost certain that you'll be at risk of losing him if you don't lock him up.

Well, it's a good thing we locked up his cap hit until he's about 40 then! This would be the downside to all these stupid long-term deals around the league. The Islanders are already realizing the DiPietrio disaster, and teams like Chicago and Detroit will regret it too. It's only really worthwhile to make a deal that long if it's a once-in-a-generation player (like Crosby or Ovechkin) and you're almost certain that you'll be at risk of losing him if you don't lock him up.

I could not disagree more. With DiPietrio I agree what a disaster, they overpaid him for far to long! With what Detroit and Chicago has done is lock up players that would get alot more money on free agency. Toews, Kane and Sharp man what a powerhouse move by the Brass over there! To me it shows commitment to winning. As far as Franzen goes it is a great long term deal we locked him down too! I think Franzen is a one of kind player just not in the capacity as Ovie or Crosby. He is a role playing power forwar with a great scoring touch. You just don't see that very often.

I think the injuries and the season are making people second guess the management of the Red Wings. Not for me it is telling me how strong the management really is. We are short so many bodies but we are still staying quite competitive. We as fans are use to battling for the top seed overall as competitive. It is just differant this year. Back to back SCF appearances, 4 Cups in 11 years! Just amazing and we are still competitive.

Franzen is a great player and a playoff beast, he will be back as soon as he can.

ehhhh....I agree with your first point, but saying that it effects his type of play MORE is a stretch. Balance is an all-body function (including equilibrioception). Strength maybe...but the continual movement/flexing of ACL is most predominant cause of re-aggravation of the ACL.

But I agree, ACL is huge for any hockey player.

Ok, good point, I may have over emphasized my point, but that's what I was getting at...

Guest micah
IHe is a role playing power forward with a great scoring touch.

Yup.

Cam Neely. Brenden Shanahan. Johan Franzen.

Maybe, but Kronwall seems to be doing fine.

I'm not a doctor but I don't remeber any NHL player missing more than 6 months with this injury.

And as far as the Wings missing the playoffs, they are currently 1 point out of a playoff spot and I think that it is a given that their winning % will improve at least some when they start getting guys back.

Stop being so damn pessimistic.

I could not disagree more. With DiPietrio I agree what a disaster, they overpaid him for far to long! With what Detroit and Chicago has done is lock up players that would get alot more money on free agency. Toews, Kane and Sharp man what a powerhouse move by the Brass over there! To me it shows commitment to winning. As far as Franzen goes it is a great long term deal we locked him down too! I think Franzen is a one of kind player just not in the capacity as Ovie or Crosby. He is a role playing power forwar with a great scoring touch. You just don't see that very often.

I think the injuries and the season are making people second guess the management of the Red Wings. Not for me it is telling me how strong the management really is. We are short so many bodies but we are still staying quite competitive. We as fans are use to battling for the top seed overall as competitive. It is just differant this year. Back to back SCF appearances, 4 Cups in 11 years! Just amazing and we are still competitive.

Franzen is a great player and a playoff beast, he will be back as soon as he can.

Huh? There is a salary cap in the NHL. All that they commited to was spending up to the salary cap which almost all the teams do anyway.

All they committed to was paying 3 guys the majority of the money instead of dividing it more easily.

Now if there was no salary cap and they had spent alot more money, I'd agree with you.

Yup.

Cam Neely. Brenden Shanahan. Johan Franzen.

Wayne Gretzky. Mario Lemeiux. Jiri Hudler.

I would consider what you are saying is an unfair comparison. Franzen has a great offensive gift, uses the body occassionaly (especially in front of the net), but doesn't fight. Cam Neely and Brendan Shanahan are both virtually PPG players who fought and are considered icons for both their tough play with the body and their tenacity.

He is not the definition of a power forward like those two are, but in my opinion at least fits the bill for the minimum requirement.

The whole diving thing doesn't help, unfortunately.

what the hell are you talking about? Do you know anything about hockey, or even skating?

first, Fischer was never a speedskater either and second, an ACL injury is HUGE for ALL skaters, let alone for skaters like Franzen which rely on balance and strength more than speed... if anything, this affects someone like him MORE

Well, I guess you didn't watch much hockey back then. Fischer was reported to be the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy on the team back in 01-02. It didn't look like it because he was so big, but that guy was a great skater.