• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

For every good move DD has made, there is an equally bad move.

Handing out bad contracts to Willis, Robertson, Guillen. I won't include Bonderman or Maggs because one is just unlucky and the other proved his value. The Sheffield trade bombed. I love Miguel Cabrera, but the Tigers are wasting his talent surrounding him with nothing in the batting order. We lost our two best prospects (Miller and Maybin) in an already depleted farm system. Jurrjens for Renteria was the absolute worst deal and now throw in trading the face of the franchise for a bunch of pieces.

I am very sour on Dombrowski right now. One magical season since 2001 is his only saving grace. If the Tigers goal is to clear salary to keep JV -- not being competitive isn't going to keep him around. Losing Granderson is one thing, losing JV will cripple this franchise.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thank you, Double D!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

Dombrowski=Millen. Trading Granderson would be like trading Z in a year or two if he has an off season. I am a lifelong Tigers fan but am uninterested until DD is gone. I also think baseball will have to be reformed soon so that teams like the Yankees and Sox don't wind up in the end with all the other teams' hard work and development. What a joke - how many players have the Tigs given away to the Yanks? The no salary cap in baseball in 10x worse than the NHL ever was. I cannot take the sport seriously anymore except for pure entertainment - it really doesn't matter who wins in the end. The only thing I can do as a fan is stop giving them any of my money - easy enough.

Really sad for Tigers fans everywhere. Fire DD! He can go hang around with Millen on TV....
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#24 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

I will admit that Granderson was one of my favorite players and is a hell of a ballplayer, BUT you need to look at production. I think the Tigers are looking for a little more production to the leadoff spot. He his just .248 and less than .200 against lefties. That puts the entire team in a hole a lot of the time because he just wasn't getting on base. He has never hit lefties well at all, and I guess they were thinking that they would never be able to get as much value for him as they can right now, so why not replenish the system a bit with MLB ready prospects in a top CF prospect and some much needed bullpen help.

Yes, this trade really hurts because he is a fantastic player and person, but you need to look at the business part of it too and realize that the Tigers may be starting to build a better team because obviously something wasn't working the last couple years.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#25 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (RockyMountainWingGal @ December 18, 2009 - 07:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dombrowski=Millen. Trading Granderson would be like trading Z in a year or two if he has an off season. I am a lifelong Tigers fan but am uninterested until DD is gone. I also think baseball will have to be reformed soon so that teams like the Yankees and Sox don't wind up in the end with all the other teams' hard work and development. What a joke - how many players have the Tigs given away to the Yanks? The no salary cap in baseball in 10x worse than the NHL ever was. I cannot take the sport seriously anymore except for pure entertainment - it really doesn't matter who wins in the end. The only thing I can do as a fan is stop giving them any of my money - easy enough.

Really sad for Tigers fans everywhere. Fire DD! He can go hang around with Millen on TV....

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? This post is a load of $**t. To compare DD to Millen is insane. Millen left the lions worse then he got them and the team was never any good during his rein. DD has brought the Tigers back to them forefront. DD has made trades that have worked, acquistions that have paid off. The problem with the Tigers is the team has gotten stale since the World Series run. Do you know how much money is tied down to dead arms like Willis, Robertson, Bonderman?? That is one of the reasons why the granderson move NEEDED to be done. Not that it should be done, NEEDED to be done. No one wants Cabrera, tigers werent gonna part with Verlander, and no one else had any value in the trade market.

As far as the Yankees and Red Sox complaint, I am with you but nothing can be done. Baseball is what it is and you can either accept it or not. Sounds like you made your decision and the Tigers organization is better off without fans like you. Enjoy getting off the bandwagon.

As for me, i hope these moves pay off for the Tigers. I really do. iI am actually looking forward to this upcoming season. See if taking a step back this year will pay off in the future. Let us not forget that DD took the Marlins from a world series title, broke the team down to its core and rebuilt a team to win the world series.

GO TIGERS!!

#26 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (rwfan007 @ December 18, 2009 - 05:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will admit that Granderson was one of my favorite players and is a hell of a ballplayer, BUT you need to look at production. I think the Tigers are looking for a little more production to the leadoff spot. He his just .248 and less than .200 against lefties. That puts the entire team in a hole a lot of the time because he just wasn't getting on base. He has never hit lefties well at all, and I guess they were thinking that they would never be able to get as much value for him as they can right now, so why not replenish the system a bit with MLB ready prospects in a top CF prospect and some much needed bullpen help.

Yes, this trade really hurts because he is a fantastic player and person, but you need to look at the business part of it too and realize that the Tigers may be starting to build a better team because obviously something wasn't working the last couple years.

I hope you're right with the second part. But as to the first (which you are definitely right about), part of the problem is that Granderson should not be a leadoff hitter. The club had been saying since 2006 that they envisioned him in the 5-hole. Yet, in 2009 he was still hitting leadoff because he was the only one in the lineup with good average and speed. A true leadoff hitter is a need the club's known about for years and hasn't done anything about, while they were busy blowing their budget and emptying their farm system acquiring redundant players like Shef, Cabrera, Willis, and Renteria. So this is another way where past mistakes forced their hand to deal Granderson now.

Edited by Third Man In, 21 December 2009 - 12:47 PM.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

Its funny how the title of this thread works just as well in the singular.

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Trading Granderson was a bad mistake.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users