• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96Homer

My first game

Rate this topic

Going to the game tonight. Have never been to one so I'm wondering just a few things. These may sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. I plan on taking my dad's Canon SLR will they allow that? Also my friend got these tickets, it's a package deal and it includes two shots on the ice. I'm wondering that means as I have never been to a game before! So excited! One more thing, do the players do autographs before or after games at all?

Cameras under 80mm are allowed inside Joe Louis Arena on game day. Cameras with lenses that extend 80mm and detachable lenses over 80mm will not be allowed inside Joe Louis Arena on game day. Video cameras and flash photography are NOT allowed. But I would not worry about the flash part. They really don't care.

Autographs are hard to come by after the game. Your best bet is to wait outside by the Gordie Howe entrence/box office area and wait when the players drive by. There is a slim chance that somebody will stop but hey you do what you want. Players usually arrive early at the Joe.

Edited by Kevin182

Gee I never got that. Best thing to do on that is to ask when you go in. Someone should be able to tell you what to do on that.

Have fun! Lots of pics of Pavel, please!

And you don't need a flash - it's bright enough in there that a flash is a waste.

Edited by Kira

Gee I never got that. Best thing to do on that is to ask when you go in. Someone should be able to tell you what to do on that.

Have fun! Lots of pics of Pavel, please!

And you don't need a flash - it's bright enough in there that a flash is a waste.

You're also not supposed to use the flash at JLA. Up high it's no good as most flashes have an effective range of 20-30 feet, and down low they won't want you distracting the players and/or making them see spots... and unless you're shooting at an angle, your flash will just kick back off the glass into the lens and ruin the photo.

As mentioned, as long as your camera's lens is 80mm in focal length or less, then you can bring it in. About half the time, the guys running the metal detectors will in fact check the lens. I had them also check a spare lens I brought in.

The best time to get photos is during the pre-game warm-ups. You can get down to the glass and shot from there. The photo holes are the best places, but kids will be clogging those looking for practice pucks and "fist bumps" from players.

Get in one of the corners and shoot straight through the glass. IIRC, ISO 1600 @ f4 will get you about 1/400 sec. Not great, but "OK" for hockey photos.

I see people in there all the time using a flash and I think they're nuts. They are sitting in the cheap seats, where you couldn't get a good flash pic if your life depended on it, and, as I said before, it's bright enough you don't want to use a flash

Gizmo, the last couple times they never inspected the bag hanging on my hubby's wheelchair. But I know they ask women to have their purses open when they go in so they can make sure there's nothing in there that isn't supposed to be.

Do go down to the ice level and get pics if you can. Sometimes you can get some good ones. I got a great closeup of Bertuzzi the other night.

Well as it turns out, I'm not able to go because the person who has the tickets ended up getting sick, oh well maybe next time and thanks for all your help, sorry about jumping the gun :)