• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jake Ryan

The Turning Point

Rate this topic

I believe that the Detroit Red Wings are in the most critical portion of this season. We've gone over the goods and bads of the players, the coaches, the fans, the referees, the commissioner, etc. But now we have started a stretch of games that will greatly determine the direction we head in as far as playoff seeding goes.

New York Rangers, 11th place, Win

St. Louis Blues, 13th place, ?

Anaheim Ducks, 15th place, ?

Nashville Predators, 7th place, ?

Phoenix Coyotes, 6th place, ?

Tampa Bay Lightning, 9th place, ?

Dallas Stars, 8th place, ?

6 more games against weak opponents before we run into the Chicago Blackhawks for a home and home. If the Wings win all of those games, they will be 20-10-5 and will more than likely leap-frog 3 teams into 6th place. I think all the naysayers will be silenced once that happens. I'm expecting a great 2 weeks out of the Wings. This is the turning point.

I think it is absolutely critical, but we'll have stretches of critical games like this all season. Four of the six teams are direct competitors for the same playoff spot. Actually, similar to last season those back-to-backs against Chicago could be a turning point. And then three games against top teams in the conference to close the month.

Unlike previous seasons, every game really is important. Expect sales of heartburn medication in the metro-Detroit area to soar into the new year.

Obviously getting injured guys back will help, but there's no way to anticipate just how much, and how soon, they'll contribute. Franzen did show in the '07-'08 playoffs however that serious injury couldn't slow him down, although this current injury will create a lot more rust.

I believe that the Detroit Red Wings are in the most critical portion of this season. We've gone over the goods and bads of the players, the coaches, the fans, the referees, the commissioner, etc. But now we have started a stretch of games that will greatly determine the direction we head in as far as playoff seeding goes.

6 more games against weak opponents before we run into the Chicago Blackhawks for a home and home. If the Wings win all of those games, they will be 20-10-5 and will more than likely leap-frog 3 teams into 6th place. I think all the naysayers will be silenced once that happens. I'm expecting a great 2 weeks out of the Wings. This is the turning point.

My predictions:

St. Louis Blues W

Anaheim Ducks L-OT/SO

Nashville Predators, 7th place L

Phoenix Coyotes, 6th place W

Tampa Bay Lightning, 9th place W

Dallas Stars, 8th place L-OT/SO

My predictions:

St. Louis Blues W

Anaheim Ducks L-OT/SO

Nashville Predators, 7th place L

Phoenix Coyotes, 6th place W

Tampa Bay Lightning, 9th place W

Dallas Stars, 8th place L-OT/SO

My Predictions:

St. Louis = W

Anaheim = W

Nashville = L

Phoenix = W

Tampa Bay = W

Dallas Stars = OTL

Did you say games against weak opponents?

Right now the Wings are themselves a weak opponent. Remember that home game against Edmonton? How's that for weak opponents? Edmonton is a weak team, yet they skated laps around the Wings.

We can win these next few games, but lets not get carried away with how great we are just because we're playing subpar teams. We played well against New York, and even then barely won the game on a weak goal late that snuck past Lundqvist.

It'll be hard to have a winning streak going with this roster. I see them staying around .500 before the injured players start returning, which is still a long way's off.

Well gee, all they have to do is rattle off a seven game winning streak? No problem. :lol:

Have the Wings ever won more than three games in a row all year? This is not a team that can keep a streak going. Last years Wings' team could throw a streak together like that, but this team can't decide whether it wants to show up every night or not. So we'll see. Hope for the best, though!

My Predictions:

St. Louis = W

Anaheim = W

Nashville = L

Phoenix = W

Tampa Bay = W

Dallas Stars = OTL

My Predictions:

St. Louis = W

Anaheim = OTL

Nashville = W

Phoenix = W

Tampa Bay = L

Dallas Stars = W

Yeah, the rest of the month is very important. It could provide a boost if we show up and play. I'm anticipating for us to stay in the same position we are, and we'll probably go .500 or so up until the new year. Getting Fil back will be huge. He was our best player before the injury, and I'm sure he's ready to get er goin again.

I don't understand how people can complain about Homer. I mean he's leading the team in goals for goodness sake. There's also so many goals that directly resulted from his presence even if he doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

We can win these next few games, but lets not get carried away with how great we are just because we're playing subpar teams. We played well against New York, and even then barely won the game on a weak goal late that snuck past Lundqvist.

It'll be hard to have a winning streak going with this roster. I see them staying around .500 before the injured players start returning, which is still a long way's off.

really, I think this roster is capable of going on a winning streak, it's just whether they put the effort in needed. For a team considered sub par, they have much more talent and ability to become a strong, very comprtative team.

And most good teams play sub par teams every night... Winning those games night in and night out is what makes them great teams.

Let's just hope they figured out that they have to play 60 minutes to win a game

Just a quick reminder to everyone who mentions this kind of stuff... Because I've been reading A LOT of it on these boards. This is straight from Babcock's mouth and I would tend to agree with him : If all the Wings are waiting for to "get out of the water" is the return of their injured players, then they are indeed in trouble.

Did you say games against weak opponents?

Right now the Wings are themselves a weak opponent. Remember that home game against Edmonton? How's that for weak opponents? Edmonton is a weak team, yet they skated laps around the Wings.

Good point. The Wings aren't an elite team at the moment. Focus has been a problem with this team for a few seasons now: falling behind early in game six against Anaheim in '07, losing game five against Dallas and Pittsburgh in '08. They tend to look toward their goal, which is generally good, but forget to pay attention to the ground directly in front of them.

However I think in context with their effort in previous pre-dad's trip games the loss in Edmonton is consistent. Just a feeling I don't remember exactly when all their dad's trips have been, but I recall some poor efforts prior to the trip and then they usually do real well. I think it's just the distraction of the trip that causes them to lose focus.

Just a quick reminder to everyone who mentions this kind of stuff... Because I've been reading A LOT of it on these boards. This is straight from Babcock's mouth and I would tend to agree with him : If all the Wings are waiting for to "get out of the water" is the return of their injured players, then they are indeed in trouble.

Seconded.

Anybody having any different feelings now? We've won 5 in a row and 6 of the last 7. I've noticed that all this jibber jabber about not making the playoffs has disolved. I told you this was the turning point.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=...id=nav-stn-conf

3 more weeks, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we were in the top 4.

You know, I think the real turning point was when Holmstrom scored that goal at the beginning of the 3rd period against the Ducks when we'd been down 2-0. Really got some life into the team, and we went on to win a big game against one of our rivals.

I put all of this success on Tomas Holmstrom. All of it.

Edited by Zetts

You know, I think the real turning point was when Holmstrom scored that goal at the beginning of the 3rd period against the Ducks when we'd been down 2-0. Really got some life into the team, and we went on to win a big game against one of our rivals.

I put all of this success on Tomas Holmstrom. All of it.

Sticks Fist in the air and yells "Homerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" at the top of his lungs!

the next 9 of 10 games will be the turning point of the season.

Dallas

Chicagox2

ColumbusX2

Colorado

Phoenix

Anaheim

L.A

San Jose

All of these games I consider must wins, minus Anaheim...but still a big game

the next 9 of 10 games will be the turning point of the season.

Dallas

Chicagox2

ColumbusX2

Colorado

Phoenix

Anaheim

L.A

San Jose

All of these games I consider must wins, minus Anaheim...but still a big game

Dallas (2 points behind Detroit)

Chicagox2 (1st in Central Division)

ColumbusX2

Colorado (7th in West)

Phoenix (6th in West)

Anaheim

L.A (Tied 1st in West)

San Jose (Tied 1st in West)

Must Wins? While it would be great to win all these games, that's just simply unrealistic even if the entire team was healthy. The fact of that matter is the Wings are minus 9 players at this point from what would have been their opening day roster. One more, and were talking half our starting roster!

Big games: certainly. Must wins: I disagree