• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Why are the Wings Afraid to Block Shots?

Rate this topic

Going into this game (and some broadcaster mentioned this), the Wings were dead last in the NHL in blocked shots.

To me that shows an unwillingness to sacrifice the body and a lack of commitment on doing everything possible to keep the puck away from the front of the net.

In today's era, blocking shots is immensely important, as the Pens showed us in games 6 and 7 of the Finals last year.

So why don't the Wings do this as well as others? I know Howard has been good recently, but he's still facing way too much rubber because of point shots. Our players hardly ever go down to block the shots, as the stats so obviously show.

I don't know if it's because of the coaching strategy or some kind of overall laziness on the team, but watching the Wings and watching our opponents, it's apparent that they work much harder to prevent point shots than we do.

Amusingly, it was Eaves eagerness to rush out to block a shot that left Boyes wide open at the side of the net for the GWG tonight. :lol:

I agree, though, that they seem to avoid getting in the way as much as possible. In the past, I think this was by design, because the Wings were going to cruise to a division/conference/league title regardless of whether or not they blocked shots, so they didn't to avoid any unnecessary injury. In the present, there's no good explanation.

Other than we miss the Pain Train, of course.

If Andreas Lilja was healthy this thread would not exist.

That's true, but it has to be a team wide commitment. Not just one guy.

The Blues peppered us tonight with point shots. If not for Howard, it would have been even more glaring.

Really, it's been a problem all year, and I'm not surprised to see the Wings last in the league in this category.

Guest VAL FILPPULA
Stuart seems to be the only Wing's defenseman playing with any sort of intensity and effort. Wonder if it's a coincidence that's he's North American.

:scared: the calm before the storm...

Brad Stuart is playing really well this year. I read on MLIVE that Babcock thinks he has been the best d-man on the team this year. I'll tip my hat to him now..especially since after game 7 last year he was on my s*** list.

Guest Lidstromboli
Stuart seems to be the only Wing's defenseman playing with any sort of intensity and effort. Wonder if it's a coincidence that's he's North American.

fishing.jpg

Amusingly, it was Eaves eagerness to rush out to block a shot that left Boyes wide open at the side of the net for the GWG tonight. :lol:

At the same time, Howard plays too far out of the net and gets caught out of position a lot. Of course, when your team loses 1-0 and that 1 goal is the GWG, well...

Just saying...

Edited by Rivalred

I remember earlier in the season when Ericsson blocked a shot during a PK, which hurt him pretty bad and he was basically crippled and useless out there, eventually resulting in a goal. I think he's a little shy to block shots now.

I think it has more to do with the coaching. What has our blocked shots total been in recent years? I think the system is more keen to our players sound positioning and forcing the opponent outside and disrupting their cycling, basically taking the option of getting a shot off a priority.

I remember earlier in the season when Ericsson blocked a shot during a PK, which hurt him pretty bad and he was basically crippled and useless out there, eventually resulting in a goal. I think he's a little shy to block shots now.

I think it has more to do with the coaching. What has our blocked shots total been in recent years? I think the system is more keen to our players sound positioning and forcing the opponent outside and disrupting their cycling, basically taking the option of getting a shot off a priority.

That was in the first game against Chicago.

I like the fact that Stuart will block shots and is capable of throwing a check. I wish more of our D men would do it. You cannot only have one physical D man and expect to win games. With Kronwall out it seems like Stuart has to try and do everything. Other teams don't seem to have much respect for our defense.

We'll every forward is injured. We might as well hope the entire defense goes out injured from blocking shots as well :) Lilja is still out from blocking a shot.......to the grill.

Your avatar made me think of something I've never thought of before. Have any changes been made to the puck over these years other than designs on it?