• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

"We don't have a natural goal scorer"

Rate this topic

As Babcock had just stated on the Wings/St. Louis post-game show the Wings do not have a natural goal scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are good but they are not natural goal scorers.

Just about every team in the NHL has a natural goal scorer. Except for getting Hossa, Detroit's strategy was to depend on their depth. Well, now that the depth is gone how do they expect to win? The salary cap has slowly eliminated Detroit's depth and distribution of scoring concept.

But again, it is difficult to get a natural goal scorer if you are always picking so far down in the draft.

Maybe the Wings should just finish last for a change and they finally could get a natural goal scorer????

I don't know, Datsyuk and Zetterberg (more Zetterberg) never had trouble scoring really. Datsyuk did initially, and I'd say he's more of a playmaker. Those two certainly should be scoring, especially against these absurdly awful teams that keep beating us.

We do need a natural goal scorer, but we're not getting one until Franzen comes back, and who knows what condition he'll be in when he returns.

The fact that he brought up what Babs said makes this thread somewhat valid.

The fact that he brought up what is brought up every time we lose makes this thread pointless. Is anyone else happy with our play despite all the injuries? Someone said it in another thread, we essentially have a whole 2nd line plus a defensive pairing out of the lineup. We beat the Rangers on Sunday, and handled them quite well, I might add. We got a point on the Devils by tying late in the 3rd. I don't get why we can't beat the Blues, but that's just something we'll figure out.

Worrying and bitching about how we "suck" is really loyal. Have a little faith and maybe you won't think this season is lost.

The fact that he brought up what Babs said makes this thread somewhat valid.

The fact that he brought up what is brought up every time we lose makes this thread pointless. Is anyone else happy with our play despite all the injuries? Someone said it in another thread, we essentially have a whole 2nd line plus a defensive pairing out of the lineup. We beat the Rangers on Sunday, and handled them quite well, I might add. We got a point on the Devils by tying late in the 3rd. I don't get why we can't beat the Blues, but that's just something we'll figure out.

Worrying and bitching about how we "suck" is really loyal. Have a little faith and maybe you won't think this season is lost.

The frustration on my part is that we're not playing bad. Compared to earlier this season especially we're playing great. But for some reason the timing on the shots just isn't there. The frustration is that this losing doesn't make any sense. I thought the team played great tonight but was, yet again, snake bitten.

At least Babs admits it. We absolutely don't have that "natural goal scorer" that other teams have. In fact, I really think we're the only team without one, similar to LA last year. I mean, I really can't think of a singe team that doesn't have one......maybe Minnesota just because Havlat has been such a bust.

*Edit* - Boston too, due to losing Kessel

Edited by ShanahanMan

Is it so crazy to expect one of the best players on your team to adapt his game to fit the teams needs?

I hate to bring it up, but just for an example Crosby is shooting more this year then in past years. Why can't Datsyuk?

Is it so crazy to expect one of the best players on your team to adapt his game to fit the teams needs?

I hate to bring it up, but just for an example Crosby is shooting more this year then in past years. Why can't Datsyuk?

I agree, our best players aren't playing to potential which is even worse this season because the supporting cast in non-existent at this point.

PS. I think you LOVE to bring it up :P

I agree, our best players aren't playing to potential which is even worse this season because the supporting cast in non-existent at this point.

PS. I think you LOVE to bring it up :P

I usually do :blush: , but in this instance I honestly think it fit my point pretty well. And since he is always on my mind it was the first thing I thought of!

This thread is about the fact that the Wings do not have a Marian Gaborik, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Steven Stamkos, Ilya Kovaluchuk, Corey Perry, Zach Parise, Rick Nash, Marion Hossa, Daniel Sedin, Anze Kopitar, etc.. Right now the Wings DO NOT have someone who can score AT WILL when he gets open.

Babcock said it, not me, I am just agreeing.

So I am thinking maybe the Wings should get a natural goal scorer (or at least another one when you consider Franzen) and the easiest way is to finish last to have a chance. The top draft pick next year will probably be Taylor Hall.... from Windsor Spitfires.... very fast center/LW and excellent scorer. Here is a link for the scouting reports on some of the top prospects.... it looks like a good pool of players for next year's draft.

2010 Draft scouting reports

What is one bad season when you could have 10 great ones to follow. Isn't it worth it? How far do you expect the Wings to go in the playoffs (if they make it) this year anyway? Do you think Franzen will come back in March and magically turn into the same goal scorer he was in last year's playoffs? It may happen and I am hoping it does but I don't think so. Coming back from that type of injury is going to take more than a month.

Edited by Icesurfer

The wings have an emerging goal scorer in the minors and there is no indication that he will flop as far as I am concerned. Plus Franzen has at least a few more seasons playing at an elite level.

While on the topic of Franzen, He has yet to play a full NHL season. He's shown he can play, but he seems to be extremely injury-prone. Signing him for 11 years was quite a gamble, discount or no discount.

Really hope he's solid when he comes back and I'd love to see him play a whole season next year.

This thread is about the fact that the Wings do not have a Marian Gaborik, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Marleau, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Steven Stamkos, Ilya Kovaluchuk, Corey Perry, Zach Parise, Rick Nash, Marion Hossa, Daniel Sedin, Anze Kopitar, etc.. Right now the Wings DO NOT have someone who can score AT WILL when he gets open.

Babcock said it, not me, I am just agreeing.

So I am thinking maybe the Wings should get a natural goal scorer (or at least another one when you consider Franzen) and the easiest way is to finish last to have a chance. The top draft pick next year will probably be Taylor Hall.... from Windsor Spitfires.... very fast center/LW and excellent scorer. Here is a link for the scouting reports on some of the top prospects.... it looks like a good pool of players for next year's draft.

2010 Draft scouting reports

What is one bad season when you could have 10 great ones to follow. Isn't it worth it? How far do you expect the Wings to go in the playoffs (if they make it) this year anyway? Do you think Franzen will come back in March and magically turn into the same goal scorer he was in last year's playoffs? It may happen and I am hoping it does but I don't think so. Coming back from that type of injury is going to take more than a month.

Are you ******* kidding me?

We need offense desperately. From whom are we going to get it is the question. The thing that really irks me is that Jimmy Howard played darn near a perfect game, the only thing he could have done to help more was get a shutout. But if your only option for winning seems to be your goalie getting a shutout, your offense isn't doing crap. St. Lous scored one goal. Just one and we still lost. We need offense bad. I just don't know if we can get it during this season. It might have to wait till the offseason.

Zetterberg - 30 or more goals 4 times

Datsyuk - 30 or more goals 3 times

Franzen - 30 or more goals 1 time

Holmstrom - 30 or more goals 1 time(3 seasons ago)

After that it drops all the way down to cleary who has scored exactly 20 goals twice. There just isn't very many goal scoring threats in this lineup let alone a natural goal scorer.

I said it before and I'll say it again: it was a mistake letting Hossa go. Flip should've been shipped off to clear room to make the Hossa deal sweet enough for him to stay. Y'all love hating on Hossa because he didn't have as great of a playoffs as some expected (even though he was dealing with injury issues on some level), but you're ignoring the fact that he's still one of the most talented wingers, and probably the most complete winger in the league. Even when we do get Franzen back, it's not like we're going to have a profoundly better situation than we have now. It'll certainly help, and I wouldn't say we're screwed by any means yet, but without a doubt in my mind, Hossa would've helped this team more than any other player in the mix down the stretch.

I also have no doubt that Holland likely would've done more to keep him if he knew that he'd lose out on, well, EVERYBODY else he was trying to sign for the most part. It really is a shame, but I'm not really surprised that it's worked out like this.

Oh yeah, I remember a thread I made where I got ripped up for suggesting we were in scoring trouble.......hmmmmm........

This is the quote.

“Our team works pretty hard, we’re pretty competitive. It’s very obvious we’re not blessed with a whole bunch of natural scorers and maybe we tighten up a little around the net."

What team does have a bunch of natural goal scorers?

This is the quote.

“Our team works pretty hard, we’re pretty competitive. It’s very obvious we’re not blessed with a whole bunch of natural scorers and maybe we tighten up a little around the net."

What team does have a bunch of natural goal scorers?

Mighty Ducks