• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

I'm sick of seeing this s***. I don't care if we won last night. We probably shouldn't have. The Ducks just hack, whack and run Jimmy Howard whenever the puck is in or around the crease and nothing happens. This team isn't losing because of injuries. It's losing because it has no fire.

Heads are hanging low. The players are too timid to get in the face of an opponent that challenges them. You don't need to be a goon to stand up for your teammates. Not so long ago, a guy like Bertuzzi or Datsyuk would not just skate away after Corey Perry takes 3 or 4 whacks at his goalie while the puck is under his pads. You can't allow that to happen. Yet, it is allowed.

Losing free agents and getting injuries hurts. I'm not ignoring that. But it's not an excuse to allow other teams to push you around. It should be the opposite. The players should be MORE pissed and MORE driven to make sure their opponents know you cannot take liberties with the Detroit Red Wings. This was the hockey that was played in the '08 and '09 playoffs. It was energetic and inspired. Each player was in the game. Right now, you could count them on one hand in any given game. The worst thing about that is, in the past few weeks none of them have been our better players.

Injuries hurt. Indifference kills. Wake the f***, Red Wings and show some pride!!
Rough as guts.

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

"Hacking my goalie? Not on my watch."

Edited by Carman, 12 December 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#3 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

too many soft euros ph34r.gif
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I thought Ericsson would fill in for Lilja in the "manhood" department, but he just stands there in front of the net and takes up space like Uwe Krupp used to do.

Stuart is afraid to fight anyone and is more of an open ice hitter than a guy who'll clear the crease.

This team is more North American than in the past, but it still doesn't do anything when someone takes liberties against our goalies.

Other than Brad May, I haven't seen much anger from anyone else, and even May has been involved in more staged fights than retaliatory fights.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ December 12, 2009 - 11:59AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Ericsson would fill in for Lilja in the "manhood" department, but he just stands there in front of the net and takes up space like Uwe Krupp used to do.

Stuart is afraid to fight anyone and is more of an open ice hitter than a guy who'll clear the crease.

This team is more North American than in the past, but it still doesn't do anything when someone takes liberties against our goalies.

Other than Brad May, I haven't seen much anger from anyone else, and even May has been involved in more staged fights than retaliatory fights.

Retaliatory fights> Staged fights

And Abdelkader has been looking to drop the gloves more often against guys who have been pissing him off, so that's at least a start.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

See we should have signed Ray Emery in the offseason. Then no one would hack our goalies anymore. tongue.gif
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ December 12, 2009 - 12:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Retaliatory fights> Staged fights

And Abdelkader has been looking to drop the gloves more often against guys who have been pissing him off, so that's at least a start.

That kid has some spunk, and he hasn't looked as out of place on the second line as I expected him to be either. I think his future in the NHL might be brighter than I first anticipated.

#8 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

I'm glad the wings didn't retaliate. The refs were calling anything and most of the time that the Ducks ran the net, they got called for it... why start a scrap and negate the penalty. Didn't Abdelkader and Perry kind of fight (I know it wasnt goalie related)? And may tried to get at Parros after he ran the net.

I'm not sure why at this point in time its surprising to any of you that the Wings don't really fight. I'm glad they don't take the stupid penalties that the Ducks do.
Posted Image

#9 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ December 12, 2009 - 06:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See we should have signed Ray Emery in the offseason. Then no one would hack our goalies anymore. tongue.gif

I really don't think Philadelphia is a team Detroit should emulate.

#10 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

This thread is like opening a can of worms or beating a dead horse about something that has been discussed probably 9000 times in here.

Ducks continued to take ridiculous stupid penalties, it eventually cost them.

If the Wings retaliate, they probably get more penalties and less power play opportunities.

This team doesn't retaliate much. Has been like that forever now. It doesn't mean they are soft or pansies or whatever. It means they just don't retaliate, nothing more or less. They are big boys and know how to stand up for themselves.

Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 12 December 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#11 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ December 12, 2009 - 12:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread is like opening a can of worms or beating a dead horse about something that has been discussed probably 9000 times in here.

Ducks continued to take ridiculous stupid penalties, it eventually cost them.

If the Wings retaliate, they probably get more penalties and less power play opportunities.

This team doesn't retaliate much. Has been like that forever now. It doesn't mean they are soft or pansies or whatever. It means they just don't retaliate, nothing more or less. They are big boys and know how to stand up for themselves.

Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't.

They were last year and the year before that. I already made that point if you read my post. I never asked for fights. I asked for them to stand up for themselves and not get pushed around. Like our last two postseasons. I dunno why everyone has assumed I'm referring to fights. Fights aren't necessary to show strength and solidarity.

One more thing, Jack. If you don't like the discussion in this thread, why do you take part in it? There are tonnes of threads I don't particularly like. The best way I can think of to deal with them is to not read them. I know you hate this stuff and you think it's a pointless conversation. A very fair POV. I just don't understand why you insert yourself into it, if that's the case.
Rough as guts.

#12 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ December 12, 2009 - 11:59AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stuart has had more of a concussion history than Lilja. We don't want what happened to Lilja happening to Stuart.

#13 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (CenterIce @ December 12, 2009 - 04:09PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuart has had more of a concussion history than Lilja. We don't want what happened to Lilja happening to Stuart.

Lilja had an existing problem which went undiagnosed until the punch from Weber which caused it to become a real problem.
Rough as guts.

#14 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

Easy. Brad May on defence baby.

Seriously, your right and it is frustrating. If someone hacks and bumps your goalie, grab the f***** and do something. Every team we play does it to Homer whether he bumped the goalie, or not. It is something we're missing on the backend, Ericsson will stand up to Perry and Drew Stafford, but those arent the types that crash the crease. Hopefully it changes when Lilja comes back, but christ, that may not come. I know that Janik's a pretty rough defender who clears the crease, couldnt hurt.

#NOMOREKINDL

#15 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ December 13, 2009 - 01:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easy. Brad May on defence baby.
Or Brad May on goal? No one would dare to hack him.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#16 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

A solution for this could be Janik in and Lebda out. Janik looked good when he was up here.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#17 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ December 12, 2009 - 12:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They were last year and the year before that. I already made that point if you read my post. I never asked for fights. I asked for them to stand up for themselves and not get pushed around. Like our last two postseasons. I dunno why everyone has assumed I'm referring to fights. Fights aren't necessary to show strength and solidarity.

These are professional athletes. They know how to take care of themselves. If they don't, they shouldn't be professional athletes. They rarely take retalitory stuff on a consistent basis.

One more thing, Jack. If you don't like the discussion in this thread, why do you take part in it? There are tonnes of threads I don't particularly like. The best way I can think of to deal with them is to not read them. I know you hate this stuff and you think it's a pointless conversation. A very fair POV. I just don't understand why you insert yourself into it, if that's the case.

Because I can post and make points on whatever I feel like given the forum rules, just like you did in making this thread. If I feel like saying something is like beating a dead horse or is a dead weight topic, I'm going to say it.

#18 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ December 13, 2009 - 02:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I can post and make points on whatever I feel like given the forum rules, just like you did in making this thread. If I feel like saying something is like beating a dead horse or is a dead weight topic, I'm going to say it.

Right. So you can post about what you like, but others can't if you don't agree. Got it.

thumbup.gif

Rough as guts.

#19 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

I kinda have to agree with this post here!! I am getting sick of other teams running our goalies! Its not just this year either, its been going on for along time now!!

I Understand you don't want to take the second penalty, but we need to start pushing bodies out of our crease. It seems everytime Howie or Ozzie freeze the puck there is at least 2 other opponents right in their grill while our D-Men are skating away! Pisses me off too!!

#20 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ December 13, 2009 - 08:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right. So you can post about what you like, but others can't if you don't agree. Got it.

thumbup.gif

I never said that. You said this. Others can post about whatever they like. If I disagree, sometimes I'm going to say so, just like in this thread. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.