• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doggy

Opponents hacking our goalies

Rate this topic

I'm sick of seeing this s***. I don't care if we won last night. We probably shouldn't have. The Ducks just hack, whack and run Jimmy Howard whenever the puck is in or around the crease and nothing happens. This team isn't losing because of injuries. It's losing because it has no fire.

Heads are hanging low. The players are too timid to get in the face of an opponent that challenges them. You don't need to be a goon to stand up for your teammates. Not so long ago, a guy like Bertuzzi or Datsyuk would not just skate away after Corey Perry takes 3 or 4 whacks at his goalie while the puck is under his pads. You can't allow that to happen. Yet, it is allowed.

Losing free agents and getting injuries hurts. I'm not ignoring that. But it's not an excuse to allow other teams to push you around. It should be the opposite. The players should be MORE pissed and MORE driven to make sure their opponents know you cannot take liberties with the Detroit Red Wings. This was the hockey that was played in the '08 and '09 playoffs. It was energetic and inspired. Each player was in the game. Right now, you could count them on one hand in any given game. The worst thing about that is, in the past few weeks none of them have been our better players.

Injuries hurt. Indifference kills. Wake the f***, Red Wings and show some pride!!

I thought Ericsson would fill in for Lilja in the "manhood" department, but he just stands there in front of the net and takes up space like Uwe Krupp used to do.

Stuart is afraid to fight anyone and is more of an open ice hitter than a guy who'll clear the crease.

This team is more North American than in the past, but it still doesn't do anything when someone takes liberties against our goalies.

Other than Brad May, I haven't seen much anger from anyone else, and even May has been involved in more staged fights than retaliatory fights.

I thought Ericsson would fill in for Lilja in the "manhood" department, but he just stands there in front of the net and takes up space like Uwe Krupp used to do.

Stuart is afraid to fight anyone and is more of an open ice hitter than a guy who'll clear the crease.

This team is more North American than in the past, but it still doesn't do anything when someone takes liberties against our goalies.

Other than Brad May, I haven't seen much anger from anyone else, and even May has been involved in more staged fights than retaliatory fights.

Retaliatory fights> Staged fights

And Abdelkader has been looking to drop the gloves more often against guys who have been pissing him off, so that's at least a start.

Retaliatory fights> Staged fights

And Abdelkader has been looking to drop the gloves more often against guys who have been pissing him off, so that's at least a start.

That kid has some spunk, and he hasn't looked as out of place on the second line as I expected him to be either. I think his future in the NHL might be brighter than I first anticipated.

I'm glad the wings didn't retaliate. The refs were calling anything and most of the time that the Ducks ran the net, they got called for it... why start a scrap and negate the penalty. Didn't Abdelkader and Perry kind of fight (I know it wasnt goalie related)? And may tried to get at Parros after he ran the net.

I'm not sure why at this point in time its surprising to any of you that the Wings don't really fight. I'm glad they don't take the stupid penalties that the Ducks do.

This thread is like opening a can of worms or beating a dead horse about something that has been discussed probably 9000 times in here.

Ducks continued to take ridiculous stupid penalties, it eventually cost them.

If the Wings retaliate, they probably get more penalties and less power play opportunities.

This team doesn't retaliate much. Has been like that forever now. It doesn't mean they are soft or pansies or whatever. It means they just don't retaliate, nothing more or less. They are big boys and know how to stand up for themselves.

Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

This thread is like opening a can of worms or beating a dead horse about something that has been discussed probably 9000 times in here.

Ducks continued to take ridiculous stupid penalties, it eventually cost them.

If the Wings retaliate, they probably get more penalties and less power play opportunities.

This team doesn't retaliate much. Has been like that forever now. It doesn't mean they are soft or pansies or whatever. It means they just don't retaliate, nothing more or less. They are big boys and know how to stand up for themselves.

Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't.

They were last year and the year before that. I already made that point if you read my post. I never asked for fights. I asked for them to stand up for themselves and not get pushed around. Like our last two postseasons. I dunno why everyone has assumed I'm referring to fights. Fights aren't necessary to show strength and solidarity.

One more thing, Jack. If you don't like the discussion in this thread, why do you take part in it? There are tonnes of threads I don't particularly like. The best way I can think of to deal with them is to not read them. I know you hate this stuff and you think it's a pointless conversation. A very fair POV. I just don't understand why you insert yourself into it, if that's the case.

Stuart has had more of a concussion history than Lilja. We don't want what happened to Lilja happening to Stuart.

Stuart has had more of a concussion history than Lilja. We don't want what happened to Lilja happening to Stuart.

Lilja had an existing problem which went undiagnosed until the punch from Weber which caused it to become a real problem.

Easy. Brad May on defence baby.

Seriously, your right and it is frustrating. If someone hacks and bumps your goalie, grab the f***** and do something. Every team we play does it to Homer whether he bumped the goalie, or not. It is something we're missing on the backend, Ericsson will stand up to Perry and Drew Stafford, but those arent the types that crash the crease. Hopefully it changes when Lilja comes back, but christ, that may not come. I know that Janik's a pretty rough defender who clears the crease, couldnt hurt.

They were last year and the year before that. I already made that point if you read my post. I never asked for fights. I asked for them to stand up for themselves and not get pushed around. Like our last two postseasons. I dunno why everyone has assumed I'm referring to fights. Fights aren't necessary to show strength and solidarity.

These are professional athletes. They know how to take care of themselves. If they don't, they shouldn't be professional athletes. They rarely take retalitory stuff on a consistent basis.

One more thing, Jack. If you don't like the discussion in this thread, why do you take part in it? There are tonnes of threads I don't particularly like. The best way I can think of to deal with them is to not read them. I know you hate this stuff and you think it's a pointless conversation. A very fair POV. I just don't understand why you insert yourself into it, if that's the case.

Because I can post and make points on whatever I feel like given the forum rules, just like you did in making this thread. If I feel like saying something is like beating a dead horse or is a dead weight topic, I'm going to say it.

Because I can post and make points on whatever I feel like given the forum rules, just like you did in making this thread. If I feel like saying something is like beating a dead horse or is a dead weight topic, I'm going to say it.

Right. So you can post about what you like, but others can't if you don't agree. Got it.

:thumbup:

I kinda have to agree with this post here!! I am getting sick of other teams running our goalies! Its not just this year either, its been going on for along time now!!

I Understand you don't want to take the second penalty, but we need to start pushing bodies out of our crease. It seems everytime Howie or Ozzie freeze the puck there is at least 2 other opponents right in their grill while our D-Men are skating away! Pisses me off too!!

Right. So you can post about what you like, but others can't if you don't agree. Got it.

:thumbup:

I never said that. You said this. Others can post about whatever they like. If I disagree, sometimes I'm going to say so, just like in this thread. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.

I never said that. You said this. Others can post about whatever they like. If I disagree, sometimes I'm going to say so, just like in this thread. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.

Interesting. The closing sentence in your original post, of "Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't" seems to be telling me to not make threads like this because I'm trying to make them something they aren't. It seems you're oblivious to how hypocritical you're being.

I, as well as others have found a way to ignore you and allow you to continue on with your incessant whining all over this board about any and all things as irritating as it is. Can you not allow me to have my opinion that the Wings should stand up for themselves? Can I not make a thread with my opinion without you complaining about making the thread of my opinion? I believe it's within the forum rules.

Interesting. The closing sentence in your original post, of "Quit trying to make the team be somebody they aren't" seems to be telling me to not make threads like this because I'm trying to make them something they aren't. It seems you're oblivious to how hypocritical you're being.

I, as well as others have found a way to ignore you and allow you to continue on with your incessant whining all over this board about any and all things as irritating as it is. Can you not allow me to have my opinion that the Wings should stand up for themselves? Can I not make a thread with my opinion without you complaining about making the thread of my opinion? I believe it's within the forum rules.

Because you are wishing about something that the team is not, has not been for a while, and probably will not be anytime soon. They do not retaliate, they don't worry about after the whistle stuff. That doesn't mean they don't know how to stand up for themselves or don't know how to take care of themselves. It just means they don't worry about retaliatory stuff. I'm not being hypocritical at all, I'm just expressing my opinion like you. Of course you can make threads without my opinion or tone, but if you don't like me disagreeing with you or how I do it in a thread, that's not my problem and I'm not breaking any rules either.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Because you are wishing about something that the team is not, has not been for a while, and probably will not be anytime soon. They do not retaliate, they don't worry about after the whistle stuff. That doesn't mean they don't know how to stand up for themselves or don't know how to take care of themselves. It just means they don't worry about retaliatory stuff. I'm not being hypocritical at all, I'm just expressing my opinion like you. Of course you can make threads without my opinion or tone, but if you don't like me disagreeing with you or how I do it in a thread, that's not my problem and I'm not breaking any rules either.

Actually, you are being hypocritical. At least that was the tone of your initial post. You could have stated your case, that the Wings are not a retaliatory team and just left it at that. Your decision to add in comments about beating dead horses, etc...suggest that the OP is wasting his time on something that isn't worth discussing. So in a way, yes, it comes off as if you're telling him not to bother discussing something. Yet you are free to add in any commentary you want. That's hypocritical. And to claim you're merely expressing your opinion does not mean that you're not being hypocritical. Those two things are not mutually exclusive given what you wrote.

As for the OP's concerns, until you put a guy on the blueline who played like Jason Smith or plays like Matt Carkner or Regehr, the Wings are going to let people hack, whack, poke and jab long after the puck is covered and the whistle blown.

I've said it a million times. It's the same reason why we get so many goals scored on us after a save and the puck is just sort of laying around the crease. Other teams take 2, 3 or 4 extra whacks at it because the Wings M.O. is to tie up sticks, not to plaster people to the ice.

And IMO, it's not even retaliatory nor does it lead to all that many penalties when done constructively. Watch any NHL game that doesn't involve the Wings. Team A takes extra and late whacks at a goalie and Team B starts shoving, face washing and otherwise making life a little less comfortable by sending the message that you can go ahead and do that but I am going to get physical with you if you do. The vast majority of these instances lead to a group of guys shoving and pushing and face washing and the linesman jumping in to break it up without a sole penalty being called.

You don't have to cold cock a guy for whacking at your goalie. But you can shove him a couple of times, maybe give him a gentle wack or a face rub and get away with it. Happens all the time.

Fair enough. I don't apologize for the way I post and I'm not feeling bad for the posts I made in this thread though or whatever. I can't worry about people's reactions when I say stuff I want to say, so if people get hellbent and cry over something I say when I'm not personally attacking them, that's their tough luck. And if saying to quit making the team into somebody they aren't is a personal attack, people need to grow a bigger pair then.