• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Jimmy Howard
26 years old
62 career games started

2009-2010
32-15-9

GAA: 2.24 (3rd league wide, 1st Western Conference)

sv%: .926 (4th league wide, 1st Western Conference)

wins: 32 (10th league wide, 7th Western Conference)

2 shutouts

Edited by Echolalia, 30 March 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

Giving the team a chance to win, that's all I can ask for.

#3 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

My opinion has shifted towards a more optimistic position on the guy, that's for sure. Still lots of hockey to play though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

The thing I like about him is that he seems to able to forget about it when he lets in a softie, instead of letting it prey on his mind and crumbling. Even last night he made quite a few saves after his gaff.

I've been impressed with him.

#5 thedatsyukian

thedatsyukian

I was terror since the public school era

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

I hope more people follow suit with one thread for specific discussions. thumbup.gif

He's certainly surpassed my expectations and really quieted the call for another goaltender at the deadline which in itself says a lot. The biggest knock on Howard over the years has been his consistency so if he can manage to overcome his bugaboo, we'll have ourselves a solid nhl netminder.

Edited by thedatsyukian, 12 December 2009 - 12:45 PM.

kay

#6 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm very happy with Howard this season. I was one of the one's unsure that he'd have what it takes but I was also one who felt he deserved a chance to prove himself with some solid time at an NHL level. Thus far, he's really doing just that. My only concern is the possibility of pushing him too hard too early because he's looked good so far. I'd hate for him to have a couple bad games and start questioning himself again, not to mention what the media and fans will do with a young kid who slips up just a smidge. Any goalie is bound to hit a rough spot here and there, so I just hope we're not asking for it to happen sooner rather than later by playing him so much especially with a decimated team.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#7 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

He has really come a long way. I remember last year and the year before when he would let in 4 or 5 goals per game. He seemed unable to recover and way too nervous. Now he seems really mature and composed and confident. I am very happy.

#8 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

The thing that strikes me most about Howard is his desire to battle for loose pucks.

#9 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ December 12, 2009 - 02:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that strikes me most about Howard is his desire to battle for loose pucks.

That's because he is having difficulty absorbing the puck and as a result is giving up juicy rebounds. I am not bashing him, I think he has come a long way from the beginning of the year, but he makes easy saves look far to difficult because of a lack of puck control at times. If he can learn to fix this short coming he could be great.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#10 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Booster313 @ December 12, 2009 - 01:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's because he is having difficulty absorbing the puck and as a result is giving up juicy rebounds. I am not bashing him, I think he has come a long way from the beginning of the year, but he makes easy saves look far to difficult because of a lack of puck control at times. If he can learn to fix this short coming he could be great.

I know what you're talking about and I agree. But I'm talking about deflected shots and broken plays that the defensemen are bobbling and having a hard time with. He'll push people out of the way to get to a loose puck. I like that.

Edited by Broken 16, 12 December 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#11 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Green Wing @ December 12, 2009 - 12:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing I like about him is that he seems to able to forget about it when he lets in a softie, instead of letting it prey on his mind and crumbling. Even last night he made quite a few saves after his gaff.

I've been impressed with him.

thats a page out of the Chris Osgood book.. Being able to mentally overcome a soft goal and continue to have a strong game... Thats probably one of the most important qualities of any goalie. Last night was a perfect example. He knew he let in a soft goal but was able to forget about it and give his team a chance to win.. You can't ask for anything more

#12 Redline

Redline

Rookie

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

"Howie let in a weakie."
Mike Babcock

Wakie wakie, picture takie, say what? blink.gif

#13 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Redline @ December 12, 2009 - 03:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Howie let in a weakie."
Mike Babcock

Wakie wakie, picture takie, say what? blink.gif

Easy weasy, lemon squeezy

BTW, 20th overall with a .914 save %? That's really good in my book for a rook. Keep it up, Howard, don't get shook!

#14 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

I love how he's been playing. I think he's been far overdue to join the Wings, but having Osgood around to mentor him is absolutely going to help him in the long run.

This kid has so much potential, and I hope he makes the most of the tools he has.

#15 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

Updated.

The kid looked good tonight, outside of that second goal and a bit of miscommunication between him and the D.

#16 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:23 PM

I approve of this thread.
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

LGW member since 00'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

i wish he would go back to his octopus helmet. it was much cooler. ha

Edited by TheCaptain19, 15 December 2009 - 02:22 AM.

#18 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

Right now he has been doing enough and that is fine but we need a clear cut #1 and he is not it. A part from a few good saves per game he is shakey at best and if it weren't for the D playing well in front of him I think his numbers would be , alot different. We need a game stealer someone your not holding your breath each time a shot goes his way. His rebound control is horrible and he is caught out of position alot. Perhaps he can improve and now would be the time to tighten up his game but its taken him this long to get into regular rotation for a reason and I think he has far better competition ready to challenge him.

#19 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

Howard is going to be great next year that's for sure.

#20 sliverck

sliverck

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (The Secret @ December 15, 2009 - 08:58AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now he has been doing enough and that is fine but we need a clear cut #1 and he is not it. A part from a few good saves per game he is shakey at best and if it weren't for the D playing well in front of him I think his numbers would be , alot different. We need a game stealer someone your not holding your breath each time a shot goes his way. His rebound control is horrible and he is caught out of position alot. Perhaps he can improve and now would be the time to tighten up his game but its taken him this long to get into regular rotation for a reason and I think he has far better competition ready to challenge him.

Take note all you NHL goalies. This is why you should run, not walk away from any contract the Wings may offer you. No matter how good you've been, no matter how much you've improved, you will never be good enough and you'll be railroaded out of town. The best Wings goalie is always the one that's not playing. On a side note. Jimmy is playing great, his rebound control has improved a lot and he is able to come up with some big saves. Occassionally he lets in a soft one but he doesn't let it get to him and that reminds me of another Wings goalie, who's won a few Stanley Cups for over the years.