• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

His save percentage is quite impressive when you factor in he only has 2 shutouts. People always said that consistency was his biggest hurdle down in the AHL. Up here in the NHL this year, he has been rock solid and consistent. When he's on his game he looks so big in net. Keep er going Jimmy.

That's now 3 shutouts :cool:

Guest mindfly

2 of his three shutouts have been against Columbus and have been 0-0 ties decided by the SO, I believe he also has a 1-0 SO loss.

3SO

3-0 win over Tampa

(1)-0 win over Nashville (SO)

(1)-0 win over Columbus (SO)

These are his shutouts.

(He didn't get a shutout when columbus won 1-0 (OT) gotta go scoreless til the shootout to record a shutout)

Edited by mindfly

3SO

3-0 win over Tampa

(1)-0 win over Nashville (SO)

(1)-0 win over Columbus (SO)

These are his shutouts.

(He didn't get a shutout when columbus won 1-0 (OT) gotta go scoreless til the shootout to record a shutout)

I was close, but that is still pretty incredible two of his SO wins are Shootouts, I thought the other C-bus one was a shootout loss with no goals scored, but I guess not.

Edited by Opie

20100401220340_2010-0401-dg-wings0184.jpg

Posted: April 11, 2010

Wings' Howard prepares for first playoff run

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

CHICAGO -- Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood remembers being nervous twice in his NHL career: The first time he played in Toronto, and the first time he started in the playoffs.

"There's nothing that can really prepare you for it," he said of the latter. "It's just a different game ... and you have to experience it to understand it."

Osgood survived his trial to eventually become a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender, and he is confident his young protégé, Jimmy Howard, can do so, too. In a few days, Howard, 26, will be in net when the Wings embark on their 2010 foray into the playoffs, against an opponent who won't be known until later today.

"I'm excited, and I'm confident, and I'm looking forward to it," Howard said.

So are his teammates, his coach and the GM who green-lighted picking Howard in the second round in 2003.

"I've seen him play for the University of Maine in big games and in the American Hockey League playoffs," Ken Holland said.

"At some time, a young player has to play in the playoffs. From everything I've seen, Jimmy is ready."

The young man behind the mask

Howard was 6 and, like any young boy, he liked cool things. So hockey caught his attention, specifically goaltenders, because they got to wear the neatest equipment.

"I remember liking the masks," Howard said. "I just thought they were so neat. That's why I wanted to be a goaltender. I was never interested in any other positions. I wore all hand-me-down equipment until I was about 10, when my dad finally realized how serious I was."

Now, 20 years after his infatuation began, Howard is embarking on his NHL playoff initiation, playing the hero in the cool mask for the Red Wings. He started this season as Chris Osgood's backup, but then came on so strong he claimed the starter's job and kept it through a series of superlative outings. The Wings are in the playoffs, coach Mike Babcock said, "because Howie got us here."

It's a place Howard has never been. He has, though, been in big games while at the University of Maine, where he set team and league records; as a starter with Detroit's American Hockey League affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins; and as the goalie for the United States in the 2002 World U-18 Championships, where he led the Americans to a gold medal.

"I'm going to draw on what I learned in those games," Howard said. "I know the NHL playoffs are different; guys tell me about the intensity, but I definitely feel ready, I feel like I'm prepared as much as you can be. I've played in big games before, so I'm just going to stay loose and play my game and not think about it too much. I'm just going to do what I've done all season."

If he does that, the Wings might be looking at a third straight trip to the Stanley Cup finals. Howard has had a spectacular season, one so good he's a strong contender for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year. Critics contend he's too old, but he turned 26 only a month ago. His numbers simply are too good to be dismissed: 36-15-10, with a .924 save percentage and 2.27 goals-against average, both of which ranked fifth overall in the NHL entering Saturday.

Confidence grew

"I think it was sometime around December when we just all knew he was going to get it done for us," Brad Stuart said. "He just kept being steady for us. We knew it wasn't a fluke how well he kept playing. From there, you could just see his confidence grow and grow."

Howard started 25 consecutive games from Jan. 29 to April 4, earning NHL second star of the month for March, the same month he was the NHL's rookie of the month. He's 5-1-4 in games the Wings have allowed 35 or more shots on goal.

"He's been great for us," Dan Cleary said. "He's given us a chance to win night after night; he's stolen games for us. He's been as steady as we could ask. He's definitely a Calder candidate in my mind."

Howard should get consideration for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie, too, but likely will be passed over for the likes of Ryan Miller of the Sabres and Martin Brodeur of the Devils.

Defenseman Tyler Myers has been making heads turn for Buffalo, where he logs more minutes than any Sabre despite being a 20-year-old rookie, and is the front-runner to capture the Calder. The Wings haven't had a Calder winner since goalie Roger Crozier in 1965.

They have, however, had plenty of Stanley Cup-winning goaltenders, including current backup man. Osgood hasn't had anywhere near the poor regular season he had in 2008-09, but unlike last season, when there was little chance the Wings were going to look to journeyman Ty Conklin to carry them into the playoffs, it won't be Osgood to the rescue. Instead, Osgood will do what he has done for Howard since the Wings drafted him in the second round in 2003 -- be his biggest fan.

"I'm just going to be around him, take him out to dinner, make sure we watch some movies together," Osgood said. "Hopefully we're going to have a good long run and he's going to play really well, and I know from experience you can't think about hockey all the time. So I want to help him stay loose, stay relaxed. He's going to know I'm behind him or beside him. That's what I see my role as being.

"I remember when I first started in the playoffs. It's the only time I've really been nervous, besides from the first time I played in Toronto. It's so different from the regular season. The intensity is so much higher. ...

"So I'm just going to keep an eye on Howie, say the right things to him if I think it's needed, just be there for him. I'm not going to name names, but I've played with guys who on game days played the game five times in their head, so by the time the game came around they were mentally drained. I don't think that's a good way to go."

He's not fixated

Howard isn't that type of player -- in fact, much like Osgood, Howard shakes off bad goals, talks on game days (some goalies won't), is quick with a joke and quicker to hurl a wad of tape across the room at an unsuspecting teammate.

"I think that's got to be important for a goalie, to have that kind of mind-set," Kris Draper said. "I think you want to have a short-term memory. But that's the one thing, you can't say enough about what Ozzie's been able to do to help Howie have the season that he has. You have a veteran guy ... all he does is just anything he can to help Howie along and help this hockey club along.

"But when you talk about Howie, he's calm. He's one of those goalies that he plays soccer before the game. He's not tuning everybody out for the game, and that's something you like. He's a great kid, and you want to work hard for him. He's given us a lot of opportunities to win a lot of hockey games. It's been a great rookie year for him."

The Wings will start the playoffs on the road, which should benefit Howard and reduce any nerves.

"There'll be less pressure on him," Babcock said. "But I mean, he's played well for us all year, at home and on the road. We believe he'll be fine."

Ken Holland, who saw potential in Howard as a teenager, is quick to point out that at one point in their careers, the Brodeurs, the Roberto Luongos and the Millers had to get their feet wet in the playoffs.

"In my mind, Howie has earned the right to start for us," Holland said. "Every night he gives us a chance to win. It's not a fluke when you win as many games as he has. He's as ready as he'll ever be."

The Wings brought Howard along slowly, encouraged him when he stumbled and surrounded him with good people. Now it's up to Howard to fulfill dreams that began two decades ago -- dreams that already have materialized into a starter's job for an Original Six franchise and his very own goalie mask.

Contact HELENE ST. JAMES: 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100411/SPORTS05/4110544/1053/sports05/Wings-Howard-prepares-for-first-playoff-run

Thanks for the post, great read.

I still contest that Ozzie is the best possible back up for a youngster in the league, even with any current starter.

He has a small enough ego to step aside, he has seen and heard everything a netminder in Detroit will ever hear, from the cheers to all the boos and slander.

He has done it with Detroit, he knows exactly what J-ho is going to face, from fans to media to opposing players.

Plus he is about the cheapest option out there that you wouldn't be scared if he had to start due to injury or fatigue (next season I am talking about.)

The way he talks about taking Howard to dinner and the movies to help him stay mentally relaxed.

That article to me was as much of a compliment to Ozzie as anything we have seen all year.

I am a huge J-ho fan, but this article to me says a lot more about Osgood than J-Ho. Sure it was a good history lesson on Jimmy, but it speaks volumes about Ozzie.

Final regular season stats for Jimmy Howard:

GP 62 (12th)

GS 60 (13th)

W 36 (9th)

L 15

OTL 10

EN 3

GA 139 (19th most)

GAA 2.27 (5th)

SA 1820

SV 1681

SV% .924 (4th)

SO 3 (24th)

Please correct any mistakes in my counting!

Guest Crymson

I just realized that Jimmy has not had a single regulation loss since the Olympics.

Guest mindfly

He lost more games than he won in the playoffs,

ThumbsDown.jpg

nough'said

Edited by mindfly

Exactly Doc, we've seen a slew of goalies suffer in their sophomore season....... I just hope that doesn't happen AND that ozzie is ready when he gets the call...

IMO, it's very likely that he'll hit a sophomore slump wall in same way shape or form at some point during next year. That's just how it seems to be for most rookies. Right now he's pretty happy with the way in which his rookie year went. Now I'm pretty sure he's setting some pretty lofty goals for next year. There are gonna be times where he plays bad and it doesn't seem like he'll reach those goals and it'll test him pretty well. I hope he comes out of it stronger.