• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

I hope Osgood gets back soon. We need him to either play good and take the starting job or play good and make jimmy raise his game.

I like Jimmy Howard. A lot. He seems like a solid guy. But "Three-goal Jimmy" has been showing up far too often, and in the games that give you a peak at what the playoffs would look like (past two Chicago game, San Jose this week).

Look, I have eyes. I've watched every single regular season game this year, and I know that this defense has not performed to it's capability (looking at you, McCrimmon). But there's too much frustration there, not enough focus. Too much defeatism and not enough determination. Tell me you guys don't see it, too.

I know he's young-ish. And he may, probably will, get better. I just don't see the fire OR the calm...I just see a guy who looks to be in disbelief when he gives up a goal, and you can't be that if you're going anywhere in the playoffs.

So this will be it for Jimmy Howard, I'm betting. One last chance to find it. We're not able to get a name goalie with our cap situation (despite a strange, confidence-crushing attempt at Evgeni Nabokov), so it's all up to you, Jimmy. Unless you want to shock us one last time, Mr. Osgood.

I like Jimmy Howard. A lot. He seems like a solid guy. But "Three-goal Jimmy" has been showing up far too often, and in the games that give you a peak at what the playoffs would look like (past two Chicago game, San Jose this week).

Look, I have eyes. I've watched every single regular season game this year, and I know that this defense has not performed to it's capability (looking at you, McCrimmon). But there's too much frustration there, not enough focus. Too much defeatism and not enough determination. Tell me you guys don't see it, too.

I know he's young-ish. And he may, probably will, get better. I just don't see the fire OR the calm...I just see a guy who looks to be in disbelief when he gives up a goal, and you can't be that if you're going anywhere in the playoffs.

So this will be it for Jimmy Howard, I'm betting. One last chance to find it. We're not able to get a name goalie with our cap situation (despite a strange, confidence-crushing attempt at Evgeni Nabokov), so it's all up to you, Jimmy. Unless you want to shock us one last time, Mr. Osgood.

I like Three-goal Jimmy better than Four-goal Joey any day

Like in most cases, it's not one player that is bringing the team down, but a combo of things. And, it is like this again. While Howard hasn't been consistently magnificent, neither has the team in front of him. Not using those as excuses, just more of pointing out the obvious and that they are more factors in the game than excuses. The Wings defense hasn't been all that consistent lately either and while Howard could do better, it'd take a lot to say bench him or look for a trade or eventually sign a high-priced name goalie to carry your team. Not a lot of teams do that anymore.

the game against Boston on the 13th was a lot more "playoff style" than those games and he looked just fine in that one

He played very well against the Ducks, nice to see the emotion at the end.

He played great last night, unfortunate line change led to ryan being left unmanned and salei tried to pick him up but it was too late. Weak call on the penalty shot but anyone is going to call it on a breakaway with any signs of a trip. Howard showed enough emotion without screaming Patrick Roy.

Edited by evilzyme

I've gotta say I'm happy to see Jimmy on the up again. He looked real good last night and it was a shame to lose it the way he did. It's a very good time to start ascending and once Osgood's back hopefully he can get a few more breaks so he's not too burnt out by the middle of April.

And when the team decides to suck, Howard's numbers suffer.

I agree with you 100%. Howard cannot control the D in front of him. The miscues on D last night and the blown coverages result in the wings going from a 4-1 lead to a 4-4 tie. I am trying to figure out if the defense is just coasting, or if they really have problems. I trust in Holland that all is good come playoff time. Still, I don't worry about the goaltending. I worry more about the defense not helping the goaltending. The amount of goals that are scored due to blown coverages and wide open chances are so bad to the point where you could have Hasek in his prime playing for the team and the team would lose.

Howard made too many great saves last night to throw him under the bus.

Horrifically bad giveaways and coverage that 3rd period last night. Apparently we forgot what PUCK POSSESION MEANS.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

How about tonight?

If the offense shows up we win. End of story. Jimmy was fine.