• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

So... everyone knows Howard is in the running for the Calder, but looking at the stats what about the Vezina? He's 4th right now in both GAA and Sv%, and 9th in wins (less starts than all above him), and a few of the spots above him for GAA and Sv% are backups. I know Miller is probably a lock for it, and others like Bryz, Vokoun, etc might be considered before him, but anyone think it is a possibility that he is a finalist?

"So how mentally tough are you? How hard are you willing to train? How hard do you want to battle? How do you let water run off the duck's back kind of thing when it doesn't go good? To me, he's shown real good signs. I like the way he's played. He's given our team confidence. He looks like a real goalie to me, so I'm real comfortable. I think this is as good as [we've been in net] since I've been here."

I would agree Mike.

So... everyone knows Howard is in the running for the Calder, but looking at the stats what about the Vezina? He's 4th right now in both GAA and Sv%, and 9th in wins (less starts than all above him), and a few of the spots above him for GAA and Sv% are backups. I know Miller is probably a lock for it, and others like Bryz, Vokoun, etc might be considered before him, but anyone think it is a possibility that he is a finalist?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5034714

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- With each passing day, it becomes crystal clear Detroit netminder Jimmy Howard isn't just the obvious candidate for rookie of the year, but he has also played himself into consideration for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goaltender.

And while we're at it, if we're going to discuss Buffalo's Ryan Miller as a potential Hart Trophy nominee, then you have to throw Howard in the mix, as well. Quite simply, that's how good the 26-year-old Syracuse, N.Y., native has played and how crucial he has been in helping turn the Red Wings from meandering to menacing.[/Quote]

"So how mentally tough are you? How hard are you willing to train? How hard do you want to battle? How do you let water run off the duck's back kind of thing when it doesn't go good? To me, he's shown real good signs. I like the way he's played. He's given our team confidence. He looks like a real goalie to me, so I'm real comfortable. I think this is as good as [we've been in net] since I've been here."

I would agree Mike.

Ditto.

People here wanted to throw Babcock under the bus for the handling of the Goaltending this year. They probably still do. I raise my glass to him. He made the hard decision to sit the 3 time cup wining goalie in favor of a rookie no one believed in. I'm sure it wasn't popular in the room either, but it was the right decision. Cheers Mike :beerbuddy:

How many people at the beginning of the season thought that Howard would contend for both the Calder and the Vezina?

Well I never guessed either of those, but I also never would have thought we could be that injured. However I did say that his numbers would easily be better than Osgood's and that he was for sure an NHL goaltender. It was a small group to be sure, but it's steadily growing now. The bandwagon is full but we can all fit, pile on.

I was thinking he was going a little overboard with the Vezina talk, but if you really look at the numbers, and he keeps it up the last few games, he has a case for at least being nominated.

If you take out the goalies that haven't started at least 41 games (half the season), this is where Howard ranks...

Wins

5. Ryan Miller 37 Wins (65 starts)

9. Jimmy Howard 32 Wins (55 starts)

GAA

1. Ryan Miller 2.21

2. Jimmy Howard 2.24

S%

1. Ryan Miller .929

2. Thomas Vokoun .927 (23 Wins, 2.45 GAA)

3. Jimmy Howard .926

That's just crazy to look at.

I was thinking he was going a little overboard with the Vezina talk, but if you really look at the numbers, and he keeps it up the last few games, he has a case for at least being nominated.

If you take out the goalies that haven't started at least 41 games (half the season), this is where Howard ranks...

Wins

GAA

1. Ryan Miller 2.21

2. Jimmy Howard 2.24

S%

1. Ryan Miller .929

3. Jimmy Howard .926

:thumbup:

GM Ken Holland told ESPN.com the former college standout, who spent four years toiling for the Wings' AHL affiliate, has been the team's MVP thus far this season.

"He's not an overnight sensation," Holland said of Howard. "He's been training for this for seven years."

The man postponed his honey moon to be ready for this year:

"We didn't get married until August and that was a month before training camp, and I figured that probably wouldn't be the smartest time taking a week and a half or two weeks off to go to Maui or wherever we were going for it," Howard told ESPN.com after he turned aside 33 regulation and overtime shots and 10 of 11 shootout attempts in a 1-0 win over Nashville on Saturday night. "It just wasn't very logical from my standpoint trying to crack the NHL to take off for two weeks."

Wins

GAA

1. Ryan Miller 2.21

2. Jimmy Howard 2.24

S%

1. Ryan Miller .929

3. Jimmy Howard .926

He hasn't played enough.

Nominees normally have at least 70 games under their belt. If he had played lights out at the start of the season he may have had a shot at it, though.

Guest mindfly

He will for sure be a nominee (for calder) and that's a real good thing, hasn't happend since Zetterberg so...

Edited by mindfly

As much as I would love J-ho in the Vezina talk, Doc is right the body of work is just too small, is it impressive, sure as hell is. Is it comparable to Miller, not really when you look at the number of games.

But then again it is only 10 or so games.

Still, I am just happy he is playing SWEEEEEET!

I just thought I'd point out a feature on NHL.com called "Three Star Standings". The three stars being referred to are the ones the NHL assigns once a day based on individual performances in every game that occurred on that day. This is not related to the three stars you see on individual boxed scores (the ones announced at the rinks). For any given day of the season there can only be one 1st, 2nd and 3rd star. These are the three stars you see on the NHL homepage.

Here are the total standings so far this year.

Note that Jimmy Howard is 9th overall in total three star points (where 1st star is worth 30pts, 2nd star 20pts and 3rd star 10pts). Also note that he's been selected as the 1st star by the NHL three times this year. The leader in that respect has 5 stars.

The next closest rookie to Jimmy in those standings is Niemi(who's 15th). None of Howard's Calder competitors are listed in the top 30.

Interesting.

He hasn't played enough.

Nominees normally have at least 70 games under their belt. If he had played lights out at the start of the season he may have had a shot at it, though.

Howard will likely end the season with 62 starts so it's not unthinkable.

Also note that Thomas won the Vez even though he only played 54 games last season.

I just thought I'd point out a feature on NHL.com called "Three Star Standings". The three stars being referred to are the ones the NHL assigns once a day based on individual performances in every game that occurred on that day. This is not related to the three stars you see on individual boxed scores (the ones announced at the rinks). For any given day of the season there can only be one 1st, 2nd and 3rd star. These are the three stars you see on the NHL homepage.

Here are the total standings so far this year.

Note that Jimmy Howard is 9th overall in total three star points (where 1st star is worth 30pts, 2nd star 20pts and 3rd star 10pts). Also note that he's been selected as the 1st star by the NHL three times this year. The leader in that respect has 5 stars.

The next closest rookie to Jimmy in those standings is Niemi(who's 15th). None of Howard's Calder competitors are listed in the top 30.

Interesting.

Very.

Nice post.

All I can say is this, I can't remember the last time I felt so comfortable with our goaltending situation.

Howard will likely end the season with 62 starts so it's not unthinkable.

Also note that Thomas won the Vez even though he only played 54 games last season.

Like I said before, if he had played lights out at the start it would have definitely boded well for him despite his games started, but he was still a huge question mark up until late November.

And it helped Thomas that he had virtually no competition that year. Howard has Bryz and Miller to fend off. Not to mention Brodeur (reputation) and Luongo (hype).

Like I said before, if he had played lights out at the start it would have definitely boded well for him despite his games started, but he was still a huge question mark up until late November.

And it helped Thomas that he had virtually no competition that year. Howard has Bryz and Miller to fend off. Not to mention Brodeur (reputation) and [[Luongo (hype)]].

I could see Brodeur winning the Vezina with another 40 win season.

And it helped Thomas that he had virtually no competition that year. Howard has Bryz and Miller to fend off. Not to mention Brodeur (reputation) and Luongo (hype).

Luongo is about as likely to win the Vez this year as Phaneuf is to win the Norris. Luongo has been baaaadddd this season. He's the weakest part of the Canucks and the entire league knows it.

I could see Brodeur winning the Vezina with another 40 win season.

His GAA and Sv% are too far below the top values this season. Marty is 7th in GAA and 17th in Sv%. He's tied for 2nd in SO, so that helps, but his GAA and Sv% just aren't up to snuff.

I just don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina.

Assuming you didn't just step out of a time machine from December 2009, I disagree.

His GAA and Sv% are too far below the top values this season. Marty is 7th in GAA and 17th in Sv%. He's tied for 2nd in SO, so that helps, but his GAA and Sv% just aren't up to snuff.

Assuming you didn't just step out of a time machine from December 2009, I disagree.

Regardless of how he's played before then or afterwards, today Miller still holds the best save percentage and second best GAA (second to Rask). He's also played in the vast majority of Sabres games (which consequently puts him at 5th place for goalie wins), so he's clearly as essential cog to their team, which is currently sitting pretty at 3rd in the conference. Miller's chances seem pretty good to me.

Which is why I put "hype" in there.

I know, I just like ripping on Luongo. :D

Regardless of how he's played before then or afterwards, today Miller still holds the best save percentage and second best GAA (second to Rask). He's also played in the vast majority of Sabres games (which consequently puts him at 5th place for goalie wins), so he's clearly as essential cog to their team, which is currently sitting pretty at 3rd in the conference. Miller's chances seem pretty good to me.

"Pretty good" and "don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina" are two different animals. My point was that other goalies have significantly closed the gap with him. Bryzgolov in particular is making a very strong case. He's killing it in SO and has brought the Coyotes within reach of the Western Conference lead.