• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#401 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Howard can equal Steve Mason's win total of last year tonight.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#402 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

I know, I just like ripping on Luongo. :D

"Pretty good" and "don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina" are two different animals. My point was that other goalies have significantly closed the gap with him. Bryzgolov in particular is making a very strong case. He's killing it in SO and has brought the Coyotes within reach of the Western Conference lead.

I'm aware of how other goalies have fared in the recent past, but I still think its too little too late. IMO Miller has had the Vezina locked for a while now, barring a complete meltdown.

#403 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I'm aware of how other goalies have fared in the recent past, but I still think its too little too late. IMO Miller has had the Vezina locked for a while now, barring a complete meltdown.

Although I do agree, let's take a look at the stats:

Ryan Miller: 38 W 16 L 8 OT .929SV% 2.21GAA 5SO
Jimmy Howard: 32 W 15 L 9 OT .926SV% 2.24GAA 2SO

Pretty damn comparable. That being said, I still think Miller wins it but you gotta figure Howard gets some thought.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#404 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Although I do agree, let's take a look at the stats:

Ryan Miller: 38 W 16 L 8 OT .929SV% 2.21GAA 5SO
Jimmy Howard: 32 W 15 L 9 OT .926SV% 2.24GAA 2SO

Pretty damn comparable. That being said, I still think Miller wins it but you gotta figure Howard gets some thought.

I'm sure somebody will mention Howard's name, along with Bryzgalov's name, too. They've had stellar seasons. But will either of them get the majority vote? It seems both of us think not.

edit: I also updated the first post, so in fufilling my superstition of Howard playing worse when I update, he'll be good for three goals tonight.

Edited by Echolalia, 30 March 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#405 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

Agreed.

But honestly, if at the start of the season someone would've told me people would be discussing Jimmy Howard for the Vezina, I would've chalked it up to insane homerism instead of a legitimate discussion. He won't win it, but I think he's worthy of mention in the Vezina conversation, and that alone is pretty incredible.

I really didn't know what to make of Howard based on his AHL play, but what a tremendous surprise he's been this season. And a HUGE part of the reason the Wings are in a playoff spot.

My main beef with him has been rebound control, but he's really improved it, makes himself big in net, and is aggressive without taking himself out of position as much. He's made me a believer.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 30 March 2010 - 12:22 PM.

#406 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Agreed.

But honestly, if at the start of the season someone would've told me people would be discussing Jimmy Howard for the Vezina, I would've chalked it up to insane homerism instead of a legitimate discussion. He won't win it, but I think he's worthy of mention in the Vezina conversation, and that alone is pretty incredible.

I really didn't know what to make of Howard based on his AHL play, but what a tremendous surprise he's been this season. And a HUGE part of the reason the Wings are in a playoff spot.

My main beef with him has been rebound control, but he's really improved it, makes himself big in net, and is aggressive without taking himself out of position as much. He's made me a believer.

Rebound control is exactly whan I've been saying all season. He has improved it noticeably, although he does still at times make some fairly bad positioning decisions (2 of the 4 goals against Edmonton were because he did so) he definitely is showing the potential we have been expecting and hearing about.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#407 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Agreed.

Hopefully he can keep at it next year, and work on his rebound control. I'll admit that it has been getting better as the season progresses, but he still has some ways to go before I'll be completely comfortable with him in net without a defensman or two to bail him out. If he can master his rebound issue a Vezina may definitely be in his future.

Also, I'm not updating this thread for the rest of the season. My superstition was confirmed :(

#408 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hopefully he can keep at it next year, and work on his rebound control. I'll admit that it has been getting better as the season progresses, but he still has some ways to go before I'll be completely comfortable with him in net without a defensman or two to bail him out. If he can master his rebound issue a Vezina may definitely be in his future.

Also, I'm not updating this thread for the rest of the season. My superstition was confirmed :(

Don't worry. He'll get shutouts in every game for the rest of the regular season and in the playoffs.

#409 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

I can't believe you made him let 4 goals in! Shame on you! :lol:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#410 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

Not the best showing from Jimmy last night, but he had a couple big saves, especially the 2 on 1 stop when the game was knotted at 4.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#411 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=523565

Howard is the second star for March.

#412 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523565

Howard is the second star for March.

What about your superstition?

#413 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

What about your superstition?

Jimmy's stats in the opening post are still and will forever be un-updated. All is well.

Edited by Echolalia, 01 April 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#414 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Red Wings' Howard named NHL Rookie of the Month

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=523582
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#415 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

:thumbup:

#416 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

f*** ya. I love this kid!

Let it ride "Mustang Howie" Let it ride!!!!!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#417 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Thumbing through that link gives me hope a about Howard's Calder chances. It seems the league is putting a lot of stock into the wins column (comparing Howard to other goalies) as well as the rookie's influence on the team's standings. Myers was almost a point per game player in March, and Gustavson had the same s% and a lower GAA, but less games played/less wins. Hopefully the same mindset applies when they determine the Calder winner.
Personally I didn't think Howard's March was all that strong. Not weak, but the numbers didn't stand out to me as much as a number of other times throughout the year.

Edited by Echolalia, 01 April 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#418 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Thumbing through that link gives me hope a about Howard's Calder chances. It seems the league is putting a lot of stock into the wins column (comparing Howard to other goalies) as well as the rookie's influence on the team's standings. Myers was almost a point per game player in March, and Gustavson had the same s% and a lower GAA, but less games played/less wins. Hopefully the same mindset applies when they determine the Calder winner.
Personally I didn't think Howard's March was all that strong. Not weak, but the numbers didn't stand out to me as much as a number of other times throughout the year.

I assume they took in to consideration his games played and consecutive starts as well as the teams awesome rise through the Western conference on this last run. As I felt the same way, not bad just not great...which is a great sign for us!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#419 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

I just don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina.

this

Not just that, but 2nd star of the month overall. That's gonna help for Calder.

I think he had a couple of weak games right after the break, but from early March on he has been pretty great.

Edited by clutchngrab, 01 April 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#420 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

SV%
T. Rask | BOS .930
R. Miller | BUF .928
T. Vokoun | FLA .926
J. Howard | DET .925
J. Halak | MTL .923

GAA
T. Rask 1.99
R. Miller | BUF 2.22
A. Niemi | CHI 2.24
M. Kiprusoff | CGY 2.26
J. Howard | DET 2.27

9th in Wins win 34 (Brodeur has 41)

Just to update the stats.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock