• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#501 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

Definitely nice to see him picking it up a little bit lately.
Thank You TeeMan

#502 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

Another solid showing. 25 saves and stopped both shots he faced in the shootout. Leads the league with 30 wins....things are looking up for Jimmy and the Wings.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#503 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

No chance on San Jose's first two goals, but the next two he'd like back.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#504 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

No chance on San Jose's first two goals, but the next two he'd like back.

Still looked solid making 39 saves. Bad rebound control on one but I won't kill him over this one by any means. Seems to be getting that confidence back.

#505 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

:ph34r:

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#506 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

I hope Osgood gets back soon. We need him to either play good and take the starting job or play good and make jimmy raise his game.

#507 drewicho

drewicho

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I hope Osgood gets back soon. We need him to either play good and take the starting job or play good and make jimmy raise his game.

I like Jimmy Howard. A lot. He seems like a solid guy. But "Three-goal Jimmy" has been showing up far too often, and in the games that give you a peak at what the playoffs would look like (past two Chicago game, San Jose this week).

Look, I have eyes. I've watched every single regular season game this year, and I know that this defense has not performed to it's capability (looking at you, McCrimmon). But there's too much frustration there, not enough focus. Too much defeatism and not enough determination. Tell me you guys don't see it, too.

I know he's young-ish. And he may, probably will, get better. I just don't see the fire OR the calm...I just see a guy who looks to be in disbelief when he gives up a goal, and you can't be that if you're going anywhere in the playoffs.

So this will be it for Jimmy Howard, I'm betting. One last chance to find it. We're not able to get a name goalie with our cap situation (despite a strange, confidence-crushing attempt at Evgeni Nabokov), so it's all up to you, Jimmy. Unless you want to shock us one last time, Mr. Osgood.

Come back, Timmy C.!

[IMG]
http://www.neutralzo...om/photos/chevy

#508 ethier_marc

ethier_marc

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

I like Jimmy Howard. A lot. He seems like a solid guy. But "Three-goal Jimmy" has been showing up far too often, and in the games that give you a peak at what the playoffs would look like (past two Chicago game, San Jose this week).

Look, I have eyes. I've watched every single regular season game this year, and I know that this defense has not performed to it's capability (looking at you, McCrimmon). But there's too much frustration there, not enough focus. Too much defeatism and not enough determination. Tell me you guys don't see it, too.

I know he's young-ish. And he may, probably will, get better. I just don't see the fire OR the calm...I just see a guy who looks to be in disbelief when he gives up a goal, and you can't be that if you're going anywhere in the playoffs.

So this will be it for Jimmy Howard, I'm betting. One last chance to find it. We're not able to get a name goalie with our cap situation (despite a strange, confidence-crushing attempt at Evgeni Nabokov), so it's all up to you, Jimmy. Unless you want to shock us one last time, Mr. Osgood.

I like Three-goal Jimmy better than Four-goal Joey any day
Roy's departure did not particularly please the fans. They first amused themselves by chanting: "Hasek's better, Hasek's better," then switched to, "We want Roy, we want Roy."

But Roy had been humiliated enough. So had the Avs.

#509 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Like in most cases, it's not one player that is bringing the team down, but a combo of things. And, it is like this again. While Howard hasn't been consistently magnificent, neither has the team in front of him. Not using those as excuses, just more of pointing out the obvious and that they are more factors in the game than excuses. The Wings defense hasn't been all that consistent lately either and while Howard could do better, it'd take a lot to say bench him or look for a trade or eventually sign a high-priced name goalie to carry your team. Not a lot of teams do that anymore.

#510 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

the game against Boston on the 13th was a lot more "playoff style" than those games and he looked just fine in that one

#511 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

He played well and didn't have much chance on the Kings last two goals, due mostly to Detroit completely halting its defensive play.

#512 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

He played very well against the Ducks, nice to see the emotion at the end.

#513 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

He played very well against the Ducks, nice to see the emotion at the end.

He played great last night, unfortunate line change led to ryan being left unmanned and salei tried to pick him up but it was too late. Weak call on the penalty shot but anyone is going to call it on a breakaway with any signs of a trip. Howard showed enough emotion without screaming Patrick Roy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAxMEw59-c

Edited by evilzyme, 03 March 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#514 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Best he has looked all season imo.

#515 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

I agree good to see a little emotion at the end there.
He was fired up and he played real well. To lose like that was a bit of a pisser.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#516 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've gotta say I'm happy to see Jimmy on the up again. He looked real good last night and it was a shame to lose it the way he did. It's a very good time to start ascending and once Osgood's back hopefully he can get a few more breaks so he's not too burnt out by the middle of April.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#517 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

And when the team decides to suck, Howard's numbers suffer.

#518 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

And when the team decides to suck, Howard's numbers suffer.

I agree with you 100%. Howard cannot control the D in front of him. The miscues on D last night and the blown coverages result in the wings going from a 4-1 lead to a 4-4 tie. I am trying to figure out if the defense is just coasting, or if they really have problems. I trust in Holland that all is good come playoff time. Still, I don't worry about the goaltending. I worry more about the defense not helping the goaltending. The amount of goals that are scored due to blown coverages and wide open chances are so bad to the point where you could have Hasek in his prime playing for the team and the team would lose.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#519 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

Howard made too many great saves last night to throw him under the bus.

Horrifically bad giveaways and coverage that 3rd period last night. Apparently we forgot what PUCK POSSESION MEANS.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#520 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

How about tonight?