106 replies to this topic

#41 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

We're An American Band - Yo La Tengo

Tried So Hard - Flying Burrito Brothers (which features Rick Roberts on vocals not Gram Parsons as so prominently stated in this vid)

Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding [the version on Otis Blue is better, but this will do fine]

Flamenco Sketches - Miles Davis [or anything from Kind of Blue]

and for the season:
Greensleeves - John Coltrane

works every time

#42 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

This thread has Queen- we will rock you written all over it. Mostly because of childhood memories and the beat. STOMP, STOMP, CLAP.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#43 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

Sting- Fields of Gold

Fields of Gold is the perfect song

Def Leppard- Love Bites

I love the backing vocals in this, and the ending is spectacular

All American Rejects- Sunshine

The hooks in this song are amazing. The whole melody is fantastic!

Tom Petty- Dont Come Around Here No More

The absolute BEST Tom Petty song

Nine Inch Nails- Leaving Hope

This song, and A Warm Place by Nine Inch Nails are the only two songs that have almost moved me to tears.

Honorable Mentions: U2- Where The Streets Have No Name 30 Seconds To Mars- Echelon Marilyn Manson- Devour Snow Patrol- Run Metallica- Whiskey in the Jar (This to me is one of metallica's best songs even though its a Thin Lizzy cover) Pink Floyd- Learning to Fly

Edited by Lidstromrules16, 17 December 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#44 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:27 AM

Thank you for Clannad...one of my favorite groups. Their sound is haunting and beautiful.

One of my favorite pieces is Loreena McKennitt's "Bonny Portmore". You will find it in the third "Highlander" movie.

Edited by Kira, 17 December 2009 - 02:29 AM.

Posted Image

#45 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

This is a strange one maybe, but one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard and I love it. It's from a movie called Time of the Gypsies, which is also a haunting movie. It's by a very famous composer - Goran Bregovic who is Serbian.

He also has some beautiful tangos:

An epic song that gives me chills is No One Knows by Queens of the Stoneage, I love the crescendo in this song, especially in the version with the orchestra which I can't find on Youtube.

Speaking of Queen - someone mentioned We Will Rock You - the song I would say gives the most shivers is The Show Must Go On. It's an excellent song, heartbreaking. And Freddie's voice is enough to give anyone shivers in any song.

Posted Image

#46 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

And another one. This is the theme to Last of the Mohicans done on bagpipes. Got this one from Ross, he plays it all the time & it's very haunting...as is imo almost all music on bagpipes. Give it a listen.

Posted Image

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (Kira @ December 17, 2009 - 02:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for Clannad...one of my favorite groups. Their sound is haunting and beautiful.

One of my favorite pieces is Loreena McKennitt's "Bonny Portmore". You will find it in the third "Highlander" movie.

Loreena McKennit is amazing, and I do not believe I have ever heard a bad song of hers -- all her albums are great (and she has two Holiday albums which are great, as well):

Moving On by Mercury Rev:

Frittering:

Walk on Water by Neil Diamond:

Glory Road:

Bury My Lovely by October Project:

Halcyon + On + On by Orbital:

Since everyone is listing FF songs, The Dream Within by Lara Fabian:

Age of Metals by the 1900s

This Protector by the White Stripes:

Mutilated Lips by Ween:

Everything is Never Quite Enough by Wasis Diop:

In Circles by Sunny Day Real Estate:

Freezing Process by Quicksand

Chicago by Sufjan Stevens:

For the widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti:

The Number of the Beast - String Quartet Tribute to Iron Maiden:

Elevator Love Letter by Stars:

Wiseman by Slightly Stoopid:

Untitled 4 by Sigur Ros:

Edited by egroen, 17 December 2009 - 11:40 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#49 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

New Slang by the Shins:

Nocturne by Secret Garden:

Destiny by Schiller:

Dawa (the Cradle Song) by Sacred Spirit:

6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps:

Ecstasy in Avila by Quinn:

Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd (basically one big, long orgasm):

It is Accomplished - Peter Gabriel:

Gouge Away - The Pixies:

Unity - Operation Ivy:

Dancing Barefoot - Patti Smith

O-o-h Child - The Five Stairsteps:

Edited by egroen, 17 December 2009 - 12:10 PM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#50 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

Egroen I absolutely love Sigur Ros and I'm glad that I'm not the only person who knows about them.

PS this one does it for me every time. Wonderful music video also:

Edited by Echolalia, 17 December 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#51 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Jedi @ December 16, 2009 - 04:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, you can always count on a song from a video game to make a list like this.

Speaking of which, if you're a Nobuo Uematsu fan (composed the music for the FF series, until leaving after FFX), then you should check out some of the songs from Lost Odyssey from the Xbox360. It's a very Final Fantasy-ish game, and N.U. composed the music for it as well. A few songs to look for would be "A Formidable Enemy Appears", "A Sign Of Hope" and "Demonic Infringement". (I'll try and provide links when I'm home from work).

Oooh, I shall have to check that out. I absolutely love Nobuo's work. When I first played Super Smash Brothers Brawl and the main theme played, I thought to myself, "No...couldn't be..." and yep, he composed that too. Amazing talent.

QUOTE (Echolalia @ December 17, 2009 - 12:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Egroen I absolutely love Sigur Ros and I'm glad that I'm not the only person who knows about them.

I'm familiar with Sigur Ros, but only because of a cover of "Ny Batteri" that Thursday did (on the Japanese import for "War All The Time"). Now I'm even more intrigued.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

#53 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

This is one of those songs that affects me every time I hear it. The first time I heard it I was in the car and ended up in tears trying to see where I was going, but I think that's what makes a good song. If it brings out those emotions, whether happy or sad it's good.

Edited by WizardOfOz30, 19 December 2009 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

"Big Sky Country" - Chris Whitely.

"Long Promised Road" - The Beach Boys.

#55 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

As the majority of the music I actively listen to is extremely heavy most of my "favs" do not align with most people's tastes. But as far as a tune that really gets me, and from seeing them live 8 times, and thousands of others really pumped, Dig by Mudvayne. I have yet to see a crowd explode into chaos for 3 minutes like I have when Chad starts off, "CAN YOU DIG IT?!?!?!".

There are quite a few other songs that strike chords in me for other reasons, more to follow.

Ex:
-Nickelback, Side of a Bullet - tribute to Dimebag Darrel (his death hit me pretty hard)
-Mudvayne, King of Pain - I am a pretty big Sting/Police fan and this adaptation I really enjoy
-REM, Everybody Hurts - This tune was big right around the time my cousin was run over by a semi
-Black Label Society, In this River - refer back to Dimebag's murder

"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels

#56 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (edicius @ December 17, 2009 - 02:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh, I shall have to check that out. I absolutely love Nobuo's work. When I first played Super Smash Brothers Brawl and the main theme played, I thought to myself, "No...couldn't be..." and yep, he composed that too. Amazing talent.

A little late, but as promised...

A Formidable Enemy Appears!.
(I mention this song simply for everything from 2:16 onwards. This song is one of about 3 or 4 different "boss" themes, much like FFX had 3 or 4 different boss songs).

A Sign of Hope. Classic Uematsu.

Demonic Infringement.

Gongora's Plot.
(Very reminiscent of Seymour Guado's theme from FFX, with good reason, played during appearances by an enemy that's very Seymour-esque.)

A Return, Indeed...

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#57 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

Evanescence - My Immortal

Evanescence My Immortal
Avril Lavigne - Slipped Away
A girl that danced at my dance studio lost her brother who was only 23 in a motorcycle accident and she and a guy from the studio choreographed a dance to this song. The first time I saw this dance, they ran through it during one of my classes and one of the guys turned to me and said - You're going to cry when you see this. I did, each and every single time I saw it. It was profoundly moving.
Slipped Away

I love Fields of Gold as well.. that is my hands down favorite Sting song.

Edited by VladyIBELIEVE16, 21 December 2009 - 02:22 AM.

Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Song written for Casey Bernall, the girl in the Columbine massacre who was shot after saying "Yes" when one of the shooters pointed a gun at her head and asked if she believed in God.

Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's hard not to admit that that video and song were both pretty moving.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 21 December 2009 - 12:12 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ December 21, 2009 - 12:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Song written for Casey Bernall, the girl in the Columbine massacre who was shot after saying "Yes" when one of the shooters pointed a gun at her head and asked if she believed in God.

Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's hard not to admit that that video and song were both pretty moving.

Although it turns out it was not Cassie, but Valeen Schnurr... who survived.

http://www.cnn.com/2...yths/index.html

#60 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

as corny as it is, this indeed gave me shivers when I watched it this morning. it is still a great song:

Neil Diamond - America

[i broke the Neil seal]

works every time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users