• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gcom007

Milestone Watch - Chris Osgood Approaching 400 Career Wins

Rate this topic

As Howard's been the center of attention in net lately, I've totally forgotten that Osgood is extremely close to a major career milestone. After tonights win in Nashville, he's sitting at 397 career wins.

When will he get the 400th win? It's tough to say considering the odd goalie rotation lately. If he splits games with Howard, I'm going to go with December 31st, New Years Eve against the Av's at home. It just seems like it'd be a fitting night for such a milestone.

And say what you want about the guy, but no goalie hits the 400 win mark by accident. We're luckier than we sometimes care to admit to have a guy like Osgood for a goalie for so long. He spares us the drama, the huge cap space and the ego that tends to accompany so many other goalies with his credentials. He got shipped off in 2001 but came back without hesitation and played backup to Hasek with no issues, despite the fact that Hasek is the reason he was uprooted and cast away in the first place. He battled hard all the way through and picked up where Hasek left off and lead us to a Cup. And while the rest of the team was partying at Cheli's after the parade, he spent 3 hours in the blazing hot sun signing autographs and thanking fans. He quietly has played outstanding playoff hockey for us the last couple years despite being questioned incessantly by fans and the media alike.

We are luckier than we know. It might be 5-10 years after Osgood retires before he truly will be appreciated for all he's done, but he will get his due. Again, you don't hit 400 wins by accident.

400...soon....... :thumbup:

No arguments here, Ozzie is a class act. He's probably more Red Wing at heart than any player on the team right now, next to Draper and Lidstrom. He's a fan favorite (even despite the razzing at times) for a reason.

EDIT: And Sawchuk had 447 wins. Anywhere from 1-3 decent seasons and he can reach it.

Edited by VM1138

Osgood for captain!

If we ever make a goalie a "captain" (since goalies can't be captains), I'm defecting to another team.

I would rather cheer for the Preds and make irritating train sounds than be like the Canucks.

Back in 2007 he said:

he would like to play at least three more years for three reasons -- win another Stanley Cup, reach 400 wins, top Terry Sawchuk's career win total with the Red Wings (352).

Looks like he's accomplished his goals!!

Sawchuk had 447 all time. Currently Osgood is 10th. He will likely slip into 8th this year. Right now he sits behind:

#10 Chris Osgood - 727 Games/397 Wins/2.48 GAA

#9 Grant Fuhr - 868 Games/403 Wins/3.38 GAA

#8 Glenn Hall - 906 Games/407 Wins/2.49 GAA

#7 Tony Esposito - 886 Games/423 Wings/2.92 GAA

*numbers courtesy of StatsHockey.

Edited by WpgMikos

When will he get the 400th win? It's tough to say considering the odd goalie rotation lately. If he splits games with Howard, I'm going to go with December 31st, New Years Eve against the Av's at home. It just seems like it'd be a fitting night for such a milestone.

Breaking 400 on new year's eve against Colorado would be ... awesome.

Also, Ozzy is up above the .900 mark now. Let's hope he stays there. :)

Breaking 400 on new year's eve against Colorado would be ... awesome.

I don't see Oz getting enough Starts to reach 400 by New Years Eve. I'm thinkin' Babcock will be sticking with Jimmy Howard for a bit, here.

***Edit***

Oh, and to the OP: It's 396 Wins, rather than 397.

Edited by Outsider

I don't see Oz getting enough Starts to reach 400 by New Years Eve. I'm thinkin' Babcock will be sticking with Jimmy Howard for a bit, here.

***Edit***

Oh, and to the OP: It's 396 Wins, rather than 397.

Howard has been confirmed for Monday against PHX probably so that Ozzy can play Thursday vs. Tampa Bay, who he has a 17-0-0 career record against. Let's say he does win on Thursday night, the schedule after that is:

@ DAL

@ CHI

VS CHI

VS CBJ

@ CBJ

VS COL

Ozzy's been getting starts against tough teams, so he could definitely play at least once against Chicago. He would need to start in and win 3 of those 6 games, so we can't expect it but it's doable.

Edited by digitaljohn88

Howard has been confirmed for Monday against PHX probably so that Ozzy can play Thursday vs. Tampa Bay, who he has a 17-0-0 career record against. Let's say he does win on Thursday night, the schedule after that is:

@ DAL

@ CHI

VS CHI

VS CBJ

@ CBJ

VS COL

Ozzy's been getting starts against tough teams, so he could definitely play at least once against Chicago. He would need to start in and win 3 of those 6 games, so we can't expect it but it's doable.

Just curious, but why would you think that Howard would get the call against Phoenix on Monday so that Osgood could face Tampa Bay on Thursday? I'm thinking Howard gets both. As a matter of fact, I'm betting he gets all but the 2nd of the back-to-backs.

Babcock was pretty clear in his post game comments: "Ozzie was fine..... but Howard will get the Start against Phoenix (on Monday)."

Just curious, but why would you think that Howard would get the call against Phoenix on Monday so that Osgood could face Tampa Bay on Thursday? I'm thinking Howard gets both. As a matter of fact, I'm betting he gets all but the 2nd of the back-to-backs.

Babcock was pretty clear in his post game comments: "Ozzie was fine..... but Howard will get the Start against Phoenix (on Monday)."

Because Osgood has a 17-0-0 career record against Tampa Bay. It's not something I can back up with a quote right now, but for some reason I remember Babcock weighing in on things like that when making goalie decisions in the past.

Because Osgood has a 17-0-0 career record against Tampa Bay. It's not something I can back up with a quote right now, but for some reason I remember Babcock weighing in on things like that when making goalie decisions in the past.

I'm not saying that your assumption isn't logical, because it is. I'm only giving you my gut feeling.

And my gut feeling is that Babcock is sending a clear message. I think he's going to stick with Howard, come Hell or high water. I think Osgood is going to have to play lights out in order to get more than one game a week. And that's if Howard doesn't completely crap the bed. I think Phoenix is a test for Howard. This is really the only halfway decent Team he'll have faced since the opening week of the Season. If he plays even reasonably well, I think Babcock sticks with him.

Again, it's not that what you're saying doesn't make sense. I just happen to know how Babcock operates. He's shown a decided tendency to "poke" Osgood, since he's gotten here in 2005. Only this time, he's "poking" Oz with a goaltender who was drafted by the Wings, and one whom Management is HOPING, (for a change), will be more than just a stop-gap 'tender.

No arguments here, Ozzie is a class act. He's probably more Red Wing at heart than any player on the team right now, next to Draper and Lidstrom. He's a fan favorite (even despite the razzing at times) for a reason.

EDIT: And Sawchuk had 447 wins. Anywhere from 1-3 decent seasons and he can reach it.

Ozzie doesn't seem to care as much about topping Sawchuk's career wins, mostly his Red Wing wins... I think someone else posted it (352?). If he gets a streak going this year and starts early next year he should be able to hit this mark... right around 40 wins.

I think the Wings will retire his # when the day comes... seems like a no-brainer if he tops Sawchuk's Red Wing record.

And I agree with the Tampa Bay assessment, Babcock seems to go for history when making the goalie call. I think he wants Ozzie to get in stride too, especially if they are looking to ride him through the playoffs. *knock on wood*

I'm not saying that your assumption isn't logical, because it is. I'm only giving you my gut feeling.

And my gut feeling is that Babcock is sending a clear message. I think he's going to stick with Howard, come Hell or high water. I think Osgood is going to have to play lights out in order to get more than one game a week. And that's if Howard doesn't completely crap the bed. I think Phoenix is a test for Howard. This is really the only halfway decent Team he'll have faced since the opening week of the Season. If he plays even reasonably well, I think Babcock sticks with him.

Again, it's not that what you're saying doesn't make sense. I just happen to know how Babcock operates. He's shown a decided tendency to "poke" Osgood, since he's gotten here in 2005. Only this time, he's "poking" Oz with a goaltender who was drafted by the Wings, and one whom Management is HOPING, (for a change), will be more than just a stop-gap 'tender.

I agree with most of this, I think Howard will likely play most of the games unless Ozzy is playing great for more than one game in a row when he gets the chance. I don't think Phoenix is the real test for Howard though. The home-and-home with Chicago coming up should show where Babcock stands on Howard/Osgood. Of course, they could split and that would leave us still not really knowing.

Edited by digitaljohn88

I agree with most of this, I think Howard will likely play most of the games unless Ozzy is playing great for more than one game in a row when he gets the chance. I don't think Phoenix is the real test for Howard though. The home-and-home with Chicago coming up should show where Babcock stands on Howard/Osgood. Of course, they could split and that would leave us still not really knowing.

I only hope he gives Ozzie a fair chance.

He played great for us tonight, 37 SA - 35 SV - 0.942 pct.

Don't let him hanging now, Babcock !

I only hope he gives Ozzie a fair chance.

He played great for us tonight, 37 SA - 35 SV - 0.942 pct.

Don't let him hanging now, Babcock !

You and me both, interminded. This is not like 2005, where Legace was handed the reins as the Starter before Osgood played a single game that Season.

Firstly, it's not as though Osgood is playing poorly. He's not at his peak performance level, but he's playing well enough. Secondly, after everything that Osgood has shown over the past two Seasons in proving that he steps it up when he's called upon, I think he deserves at least a "fair chance". At least.

Last year, Babcock used Conklin as the "stick" with which he "poked" Oz. But, let's face it, Conklin was never in the long-term plans, anyway. The Wings are hoping that Howard is.

Babcock is making the same comments this Season as he made last Season, when it comes to how he prefers to "motivate" his players......

"The bottom line is there's nothing I can say to a player that brings the kind of urgency to a player that sitting out does," said Babcock. "Everybody wants a chance to display their talent. In order to get that, you have to compete hard enough and work hard enough to get that opportunity. When that's taken away from you, reality sets in."

Hopefully "reality sets in" for Oz this year, as it did last year. Hopefully he's given the opportunity to take advantage of it.

However.....

LAST year it was pretty clear, (as I stated from the beginning), that Conklin was never viewed as a viable option as a Starter. Period. Howard, on the other hand, is a Wings drafted goaltender, and the Organization has invested FIVE YEARS into him.

He'll get the opportunities that Conklin was never afforded by virtue of that alone.

You and me both, interminded. This is not like 2005, where Legace was handed the reins as the Starter before Osgood played a single game that Season.

Firstly, it's not as though Osgood is playing poorly. He's not at his peak performance level, but he's playing well enough. Secondly, after everything that Osgood has shown over the past two Seasons in proving that he steps it up when he's called upon, I think he deserves at least a "fair chance". At least.

Last year, Babcock used Conklin as the "stick" with which he "poked" Oz. But, let's face it, Conklin was never in the long-term plans, anyway. The Wings are hoping that Howard is.

Babcock is making the same comments this Season as he made last Season, when it comes to how he prefers to "motivate" his players......

"The bottom line is there's nothing I can say to a player that brings the kind of urgency to a player that sitting out does," said Babcock. "Everybody wants a chance to display their talent. In order to get that, you have to compete hard enough and work hard enough to get that opportunity. When that's taken away from you, reality sets in."

Hopefully "reality sets in" for Oz this year, as it did last year. Hopefully he's given the opportunity to take advantage of it.

However.....

LAST year it was pretty clear, (as I stated from the beginning), that Conklin was never viewed as a viable option as a Starter. Period. Howard, on the other hand, is a Wings drafted goaltender, and the Organization has invested FIVE YEARS into him.

He'll get the opportunities that Conklin was never afforded by virtue of that alone.

Very true. If Osgood was at .900 at any time last year, he would have been starting most of the games. Seems like in Babcock's mind he doesn't want a 'good enough' Osgood this year. Ozzy needs to be in playoff form, or Howard will continue to start as long as he's doing well.

Back in 2007 he said:

Looks like he's accomplished his goals!!

Sawchuk had 447 all time. Currently Osgood is 10th. He will likely slip into 8th this year. Right now he sits behind:

#10 Chris Osgood - 727 Games/397 Wins/2.48 GAA

#9 Grant Fuhr - 868 Games/403 Wins/3.38 GAA

#8 Glenn Hall - 906 Games/407 Wins/2.49 GAA

#7 Tony Esposito - 886 Games/423 Wings/2.92 GAA

*numbers courtesy of StatsHockey.

I think it's interesting that all those goalies, considered some of the greatest of all time, took longer to reach their win record, and their GAA is worse than Osgood's.

I think it's interesting that all those goalies, considered some of the greatest of all time, took longer to reach their win record, and their GAA is worse than Osgood's.

Like I said, Osgood is really, really, really under-appreciated around these parts...it'll be 5-10 years after he retires before most realize how good we had it.

Like I said, Osgood is really, really, really under-appreciated around these parts...it'll be 5-10 years after he retires before most realize how good we had it.

Couldn't agree more, gcom. Been sayin' it for years. (Most) Wings fans won't know what they had 'til it's gone.

I can't believe it's taken 1 day shy of a year to reach the eve of 400 wins. Long time coming, but it feels good to say...

399!!!

1 more win...this will be a huge accomplishment.

The big question is when will it be? I really hope Babcock gives him an opportunity to do it at home. Monday, Wednesday or Sunday. I'd be fine with any of those!

399!!!