• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Filppula, Kronwall & Franzen skate at practice

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20091216/SPOR...ate-at-practice

Detroit Red Wings forwards Valtteri Filppula and Johan Franzen and defenseman Niklas Kronwall skated today at Joe Louis Arena, but forward Darren Helm did not.

Filppula, who is the closest of the injured Wings to returning to action, skated with the team during practice drills and attempted some wrist shots. Filppula has been out since Oct. 29 with a broken right wrist.

“It was fun, a lot of fun,†Filppula said of skating with the rest of the team. “Been missing doing that.â€

“Now I can start practicing with the guys. I’m still a couple weeks away, probably, from playing, but I felt pretty good.â€

Kronwall and Franzen both were skating for the first time since they were injured. Kronwall has been out since Nov. 21 with a sprained left medial collateral ligament, and Franzen has been out since Oct. 8 with a torn left anterior cruciate ligament.

Franzen joked that since everyone else was skating, he decided to lace up the skates, too.

“I wasn’t hoping for a good workout or anything like that,†Franzen said. “Want to smell the ice and feel my stick and do all that.â€

Kronwall likely won’t return until the end of the month or early January. Franzen isn’t expected back until February or March.

Helm remains day-to-day with a strained tendon in his left wrist.

OHHHH MAN! I can't wait until we are full strength again! Speaking of come backs, does anyone know the status of Lilja? I don't hear much about him anymore.

Good post - it's good to hold on to hope!

At this point I myself would happy if he gets another contract for next year.

Guest mindfly
OHHHH MAN! I can't wait until we are full strength again! Speaking of come backs, does anyone know the status of Lilja? I don't hear much about him anymore.

Lilja has played his last game in the wings most likely, UFA at the end of the year and wings cant re-sign a player with this type of injury/syndrome.

I thought Flips was out for 6 weeks and if he's out 6-weeks he should play Thursday or Saturday. Two more weeks :(

I'm glad Kronner and Franz are skating. I think Kronner was one our biggest losses as he was having a great year and key to our PP. We're very thin on Defense now Ericsson is gone.

Edited by Miller Brew

I thought Flips was out for 6 weeks and if he's out 6-weeks he should play Thursday or Saturday. Two more weeks :(

I'm glad Kronner and Franz are skating. I think Kronner was one our biggest losses as he was having a great year and key to our PP. We're very thin on Defense now Ericsson is gone.

Filppula is supposed to be back on the 26th V.S Columbus

Good to see Franzen and Kronwall skating! Can't wait until they are back

He probably wants to have that wrist at 100% before returning. He only just got the cast off and said the wrist is stiff, it takes some time to get it used to playing hockey again.

Mule skating too? That's great. Not that he's anywhere near game shape but encouraging nonetheless.

If it were me, I'd still be in whining in a corner in the fetal position. That is, after I stopped screaming from trying to bend my bad knee. :ph34r:

I was at the practice today and Lilja was one of the first on the ice and participated in the whole practice with the team.

Not so sure I'm happy about Franzen being back on the ice. Knee ligaments are one injury that rushing back from does you no good.

As for Filpulla, expect him to be a slightly slower version of Darren Helm when he first comes back. The muscles around his wrist will be all withered and wasted from wearing the cast and its going to take a lot of physio for him to get back to where he was. Until then he going to have an even weaker wrist shot than normal :D