• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoOzzieGo

Brad May vs. Aaron Downey

Rate this topic

I'm not a big follower of either one of these two and I'm not up on their salary cap numbers but if you're going to provide a roster spot for Brad May, why would you have not just kept Aaron Downey instead?

Don't get me wrong....I mean, Brad May's offensive output is impressive :blink: But it seems to me that Downey more than made up for that glaring difference in offensive production by bringing more of that 'Dallas Drake Wrecking Ball' nature to the team than Brad May seems capable of bringing.

Just a thought.

Call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever, but remember that hit Downey put on one of our stars players during training camp?? Was it Zetterberg?

Anyway, I like May better because he actually can play a full shift of hockey. I am not too worried when he's out there. I feel the same with him in there that I do w/ our other 4th liners.

Edited by rage

BAHAHAHA Downey never hit anyone besides Wellwood, he frequently would line guys up and then the next second he would be landing on the ice with his face. May will actually knock guys over when he does to hit them on occasion. Plus when you factor in that May skates well enough to actually play the game as a 4th liner there should be no contest.

Edited by jollymania

Anyway, I like May better because he actually can play a full shift of hockey. I am not too worried when he's out there. I feel the same with him in there that I do w/ our other 4th liners.

That's kind of my point......neither is the opposing team.

This thread should be closed. Dont want to hear everyone s*** on Downs, he was great when he was here, and is great dude. Unfortunately in the end we opted for a more talented dude. That's all there is.

:thumbup: nuff said

I liked it better when our PP was our enforcer. We actually won more games with that enforcer.

Well then you've had it your way for how long now? It's our turn now!! :lol:

Both are flavors of the month and neither one has made a significant enough impact for me to care whether they stay or go. May, Downey, McCarty, etc are all interchangeable parts in the most easily staffable role in hockey. Don't get me wrong, I like(d) all these guys and their character, but their impact on the club's success is almost completely negligible.

Both are flavors of the month and neither one has made a significant enough impact for me to care whether they stay or go. May, Downey, McCarty, etc are all interchangeable parts in the most easily staffable role in hockey. Don't get me wrong, I like(d) all these guys and their character, but their impact on the club's success is almost completely negligible.

Adding McCarty to this list negated your entire argument. I'd have to say McCarty made a lot more than a "negligible" impact on the history of this franchise.

:flamingmad:

I liked it better when our PP was our enforcer. We actually won more games with that enforcer.

Despite always being thrown around, I've never understood this argument. How does having two players fight (each getting 5 min majors) negate a powerplay (I can't remember the last Wing to receive an instigator to negate a PP)? It's not like a 4th line fighter is taking a roster spot for a potential PP'r either. The only way this argument makes sense is if you subscribe to the belief that an enforcer reduces cheapshots on our players, and you would rather see cheapshots than fights.

Next season Jody Shelley. BTW, D-Mac really does not belong on this list, just ask a Philly Phan.

I almost would agree, except that McCarty was a pretty decent player, who was on our PP, and score the Stanley Cup Winner.

Pretty sure that's a big impact on the club's success.

Guest micah

We won a pretty fair percentage of the games Downey and Mac played in too, didn't we?

I liked Downey 4% more than I like May. I don't believe either of them have cost us very many if any games, nor do I believe that whoever else might have filled in at 4th line LW would have won us many if any games.

I think a better argument could be made for sitting our toughguy on the bench and giving his 6 minutes per night to a someone else on the roster who's got stamina and can play the game, and keep a thug around for when a thug's services are wanted. 2 shifts in the first period, 2 in the 2nd, none in the 3rd should just about do it most nights.

May can play a bit better than Downey could, so I guess it's a wash. I'm just happy that Holland and Babs seem to be on the same page. It's clear that they agree that enforcers have a place in the game and on the Wings. That role might not be needed every night, but the signings of Norton, Downey, Mac2 and May demonstrate their belief that enforcers are not obsolete in this NHL.

Adding McCarty to this list negated your entire argument. I'd have to say McCarty made a lot more than a "negligible" impact on the history of this franchise.

I'm sure he was referring to 'Comeback McCarty' and not 'Hockeytown Hero McCarty'... in which case he would be right.

Actually, Downey gave us more offense last year than what May is giving this year.

Also, Downey was a better fighter at this point in his career, and would likely have more fights than what May currently has.

I wish both guys could have stayed here, especially with these injuries. Can you imagine Downey and May in the lineup at the same time? :yowza:

Guest micah
I wish both guys could have stayed here, especially with these injuries. Can you imagine Downey and May in the lineup at the same time? :yowza:

Put Maltby in with them and you come pretty close to being as miserable to play against as the old Ray-May-Barnaby line.

Fighting wise? I'll take Downey.

Skill wise? I'll take May.

The only thing May has, is the same thing Mac brought to us, It's positioning and seasoning. He understood his role and he understood where to be. He May 'was' a goon, but he plays like a seasoned vet and knows where to be and were to go with the puck, When downs was on the ice, He was looking for the hit and when it came to playing smart hockey, he was always a step behind.

Downs was much more chippier and alot more vocal. He ran people. He kept the opposition on its toes. and like I suspected, May would come out swinging early and then mellow out as the year goes on.

Overall, I am stoked to see May in as many games as he has, I'm hating how Val, Mule and JWill are getting close to a return, that just means May wont be in the roster as much.

I'm sure he was referring to 'Comeback McCarty' and not 'Hockeytown Hero McCarty'... in which case he would be right.

Exactly right. Thank you.

D-Mac will always be one of my favorite players and I will never talk down about the guy, but it's hard to argue that his return to the team had any impact beyond leadership and nostalgia.

Put Maltby in with them and you come pretty close to being as miserable to play against as the old Ray-May-Barnaby line.

I didn't know they were ever on the same line. Who played center?

That's strange, I didn't know our first and second powerplay had names.

I think we should sign Floyd Mayweather. ;)