• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Z Winged Dangler

Drew Miller

Rate this topic

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/miller_drew00.html

292995.jpeg

PERSONAL: Born Feb. 17, 1984 • Majoring in general management • Enjoys fishing and wood working • Graduated from East Lansing High School • Four-year letterwinner in lacrosse, earning all-state honors as a senior • Full name is Andrew • Nickname is "Drew" or "Droopee"Favorite NHL Team: Colorado Avalanche • Favorite NHL Player: Joe Sakic • Lists "American Chopper" as his favorite television show and "Matrix" as his favorite movie • Son of Dean and Teresa Miller • Father (Dean - 1978-79), grandfather (Butch - 1956, '59), brother (Ryan - 2000-02) and uncle (Lyle - 1964) all lettered for the Spartans in hockey, as did cousins Kip (1987-90), Kevin (1985-88) and Kelly (1982-85) Miller and Curtis (1996-99) and Taylor (1996) Gemmel • Says his father is his biggest hockey influence because "he always pushes me to be my best and is very supportive" • Selected by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the sixth round (186th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

:blink:

Say it ain't so Drew... Hopefully that's just because of Sakic.

Oh well, he's a Red Wing now and that's what counts. And I like how his nickname is Droopee.

drew-miller-red-wings-75d489bcbed13745_medium.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/move_to_center_brings_more_sco.html

Move to center brings more scoring chances for Red Wings' Drew Miller

By Ansar Khan

March 26, 2010, 10:00PM

DETROIT -- Drew Miller is registering more shots on goal and generating more scoring chances since being moved from the wing to center.

It hasn't yet translated to much offense for the Detroit Red Wings, but coach Mike Babcock likes the way Miller has settled into the third-line center spot vacated two weeks ago by Valtteri Filppula, who was moved up to left wing on Henrik Zetterberg's line.

"We needed that to happen,'' Babcock said. "For a while, we played guys on the top two lines in that (third-line center) hole, but we think he's done a good enough job that we'll just go the way we've been going.''

Miller, centering a line with Dan Cleary and Jason Williams, had 19 shots in six games before Friday. He had recorded four shots in each of four games -- something he had done only once in his first 51 games with Detroit (six vs. Carolina on Jan. 14).

"I'm using my speed to try to skate more with the puck and create more room for myself and my linemates to get open,'' Miller said. "If I can get more shots, I have to start scoring now.

"The chances are coming. The more I'm in those situations I'll be more comfortable and be able to put the puck in the net.''

Although Miller had no points in the previous six games, he has contributed more offense than anticipated, with eight goals and 17 points in 57 games since being claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay on Nov. 12.

"He's a very smart player, he knows where to go, where to be, and he knows how to play offense or defense,'' Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "That really comes in handy when you have a player you can use in any situation, who can play any (forward) position.''

A checking forward and penalty killer throughout his brief NHL career, the Michigan State product was hoping to expand his horizons.

"When I first got here, you want to start out by being responsible (defensively) and move forward from there,'' Miller said. "So you don't want to be just one type of player, you want to be multi-dimensional -- kill penalties, fitting on any line you can, power play if you have to, do whatever you can to help the team.''

Said Babcock: "He's getting more confidence all the time. We think he's got some talent. He can really skate, he's got a good shot, he's good defensively, he's aware. Ideally, he can chip in offensively as well.''

One area in which Miller is trying to improve is faceoffs. He has won only 36.8 percent of his draws (14-of-38). Cleary and Williams take some of the faceoffs for that line.

"I just watch (Kris) Draper practice, watch clips on video, try to learn little tricks,'' Miller said.

Guest mindfly

Soon double digits for miller time! YEAH, miller, eaves, helm all with atleast 10goals... just draper that has cooled down... well seasons ago but still

Edited by mindfly

We need to lock him up, hes a great role player. He has been one of the pleasant surprises this season.

I agree. It'll be very interesting to see how the roster looks at the beginning of next season. They need to sign Homer, Bert, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader up front and a couple on the back end as well (Nick and Lils, hopefully).

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen

Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Ritola

(Maltby)

I agree. It'll be very interesting to see how the roster looks at the beginning of next season. They need to sign Homer, Bert, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader up front and a couple on the back end as well (Nick and Lils, hopefully).

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen

Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Ritola

(Maltby)

I think we still need a scoring upgrade up front. I'd switch Bertuzzi for a higher end forward. If Hudler comes back it really throws a wrench in the works... I don't think I'd want to choose between Miller and Eaves.

As good as Bertuzzi has been, if we could obtain a guaranteed scoring winger to replace him the move has to be made. Otherwise we might have to lose Eaves or Miller. And to be brutally honest, I'd rather have two young, hard working guys who can score once in a while locked up with the team for many years than have Bertuzzi for a year or two, even if he continues to play well.

I would like to see Bertuzzi back, but we're really running out of roster spots here.

I think we still need a scoring upgrade up front. I'd switch Bertuzzi for a higher end forward. If Hudler comes back it really throws a wrench in the works... I don't think I'd want to choose between Miller and Eaves.

At the same time you gotta like the way Bertuzzi provides a net-front presence. He's a lot harder to move away from the net than Cleary. In that way, Bert's been able to create a lot of space for Z and Fil.

Hudler instead of Bertuzzi on that 2nd line and it looks like a pretty good roster to me.

Hudler instead of Bertuzzi on that 2nd line and it looks like a pretty good roster to me.

I agree with Bert only because of his age but his 1.5M is nicer then 2.75M then 3M the next. Not to mention Bert is playing his last couple years after this and could be one of those "drake" sort of guys for us...and maybe at an even cheaper price, Bert did say he wants to stay.

Send Williams instead.

It seems to me that he'd be a perfect type of player to add to the 4th line for awhile. He's kind of what the Wings wanted Kopecky to be; a guy who can play well defensively and can be slotted in on a higher line should injuries occur. I hope the Wings decide to sign both he and Eaves up in the off-season, they've really helped the PK out.

Kopecky was actually healthy during the Olympics, and played extremely well. Don't know how many here saw the Slovakia games, but Kopecky was one of their best players.

Miller has definitely filled the defensive role the Wings wanted from Kopy, but not the physical or offensive roles. Kopy was supposed to be a 25-30 goal power forward with defensive skill, but unfortunately he kept getting random injuries that hampered his development. Franzen, the "fourth line grinder" came out of nowhere to fill "Kopy's offensive job" and then some, so I guess it's prospect replacement by committee?

I think Bert works well on that second line because he is a big body that is hard to move in front of the net... He has contributed to a lot of the recent goals and scoring chances that line has had... Hudler would be more of a shooting threat, but there would be nobody reeking havoc in the front....

I think Bert works well on that second line because he is a big body that is hard to move in front of the net... He has contributed to a lot of the recent goals and scoring chances that line has had... Hudler would be more of a shooting threat, but there would be nobody reeking havoc in the front....

i'd rather see ritola get a chance to play with zetterberg and filppula. that line would be a ******* dangle-fest! watched ritola against the moose and he's got a lot of potential but needs to try playing with players a little more his style ala Z, dats, fil etc.

i'm thinking something a little bit like this: (and i know some guys will shred me for this)

homer - dats - franzen

ritola - Z - flip

abby - helm - eaves

cleary - draper - miller

either way, eaves and miller better be wings next year...but i don't think we'll have to worry about that. kenny knows when he's got a good thing going.

i'd rather see ritola get a chance to play with zetterberg and filppula. that line would be a ******* dangle-fest! watched ritola against the moose and he's got a lot of potential but needs to try playing with players a little more his style ala Z, dats, fil etc.

i'm thinking something a little bit like this: (and i know some guys will shred me for this)

homer - dats - franzen

ritola - Z - flip

abby - helm - eaves

cleary - draper - miller

either way, eaves and miller better be wings next year...but i don't think we'll have to worry about that. kenny knows when he's got a good thing going.

That would be a pretty weak forward lineup. Stop with the sentiments. We need to be competitive. Ritola on the 2nd? Snow balls chance in hell.

Miller,Eaves>Bert,Williams

Youth,energy+some experience>experience

Like what the seniors have gave us this year, but I agree with a previous post. I'd rather have the youngsters for more than a couple years than the old guys for just a couple.

That would be a pretty weak forward lineup. Stop with the sentiments. We need to be competitive. Ritola on the 2nd? Snow balls chance in hell.

why would ritola be put on the 2nd line in his rookie year? hahaha

why would ritola be put on the 2nd line in his rookie year? hahaha

The idea sounds absurd since he's a rookie and a rookie just doesn't step into the top-six. However, the idea does have some reason to it. Ritola is a guy who can really handle and pass the puck. In theory he'd be a good linemate for Zetterberg and whoever else since Zetterberg likes to shoot and needs skilled linemates who can set him up.

Sometimes it seems like the Zetterberg line (if he's not with Pav or other skilled linemates) is a little too easy to defend because they know that Cleary and Bertuzzi aren't all that great at doing good things with the puck. If they keep the puck away from Zetterberg and shadow him so he can't get a shot off then the line is pretty much neutralized. But now that Filppula is promoted to the 2nd line, Zetterberg has skilled linemate who can handle the puck with patience and set him up for some shots. Ritola is like a Filppula at the wing position. Therefore the idea of him as a potential linemate is actually a decent idea.

I think he will fit in nicely in his role for the playoffs. I think as a team, the Wings have a good balanced roster going into the playoffs. We have a nice mix of finesse and grit/grinding. Balance is key in the playoffs.

The idea sounds absurd since he's a rookie and a rookie just doesn't step into the top-six. However, the idea does have some reason to it. Ritola is a guy who can really handle and pass the puck. In theory he'd be a good linemate for Zetterberg and whoever else since Zetterberg likes to shoot and needs skilled linemates who can set him up.

Sometimes it seems like the Zetterberg line (if he's not with Pav or other skilled linemates) is a little too easy to defend because they know that Cleary and Bertuzzi aren't all that great at doing good things with the puck. If they keep the puck away from Zetterberg and shadow him so he can't get a shot off then the line is pretty much neutralized. But now that Filppula is promoted to the 2nd line, Zetterberg has skilled linemate who can handle the puck with patience and set him up for some shots. Ritola is like a Filppula at the wing position. Therefore the idea of him as a potential linemate is actually a decent idea.

that was pretty much the method behind my madness when i posted that i wanted ritola to get his shot. the kid's got skills with the puck...