73 replies to this topic

#41 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Miller Brew @ December 21, 2009 - 04:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In case anyone is unsure, I like Drew Miller. I think the kid will be in the NHL for many years to come. He has a great positive attitude and works his butt off.

Until I saw your post, I was about to say, "I wonder why Miller Brew hasn't been all over this thing yet." rolleyes.gif

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

Keep it up Drew!

#43 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (mmamolo @ December 21, 2009 - 08:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Miller has come in and done an unbeleiveable job considering what I'd imagine most woudl have expected from him coming off waivers from Tampa. He has 4 goals and 3 assists in 20 games and he plays a hard working game. This guy can kill penalties, is a plus 6 (only 2 behidn the team lead) and continues to improve each game.

Patrick Eaves fits the same mold. With such low expectations coming into this season he has done absolutely everything right to earn another contract for next year. This guy busts his ass, forechecks, skates hard, creates chances, kills penalties and is starting to look a little like the rookie Ottawa loved a few years ago. Having 4 goals and 6 assists through 26 games is really unbelieveable for a guy that was dumped by Carolina only to be bought out by Boston. If Eaves ends up with 25-30 points this season, which is about on pace for, then I'd have to say that signing was a huge success.

I would hate to see either of these guys not stay in the line up when our injured players return and I would hate it even more to lose them in the off season. The good news is that both players are RFAs at season's end.

Easy now, a certain #5 is a +20, quite remarkable considering how awful they have played most of the season.

#44 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (mindfly @ January 30, 2010 - 06:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easy now, a certain #5 is a +20, quite remarkable considering how awful they have played most of the season.

Well I'm not sure holding Norris Nick's +Twenty is fair to our boy Drew,actually it's not fair to anyone lol Nick is a Phenom
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#45 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ December 17, 2009 - 05:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately I don't have access to those stats. They definitely aren't on the NHL.com site. I know they do exist because Bruce MacLeod has did the statistical analysis of individual players on the PK earlier in the year.

The hockey writers guild has access to sweet stats. Bastards.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

In other news, Drew has pretty much guarunteed that Ryan won't ever win the Stanley Cup.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Ata boy miller with the two points last night!
We should be increasing this guys role if he's getting more points

O.o

#48 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

He looked good when he was out there with Fil and Bert towards the end. Not sure if it was the line or caught between lines (I was watching Celtics suck ass at the same time).

He is playing very well, I could really see a future line of Miller(Eaves too really) Helm Abby playing real well.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#49 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

It seems to me that he'd be a perfect type of player to add to the 4th line for awhile. He's kind of what the Wings wanted Kopecky to be; a guy who can play well defensively and can be slotted in on a higher line should injuries occur. I hope the Wings decide to sign both he and Eaves up in the off-season, they've really helped the PK out.

#50 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:17 AM

Posted Image

A look at some other topics Red Wings senior vice president Jim Devellano touched upon:

On forward Drew Miller : "My initial reaction was, if he was put on waivers by Tampa Bay, how good could he be? He's been an excellent, excellent, excellent pickup. He's one of the reasons we did hang in there when we had the injuries."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...y#ixzz0iJVbe7gl

#51 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/miller_drew00.html

Posted Image

PERSONAL: Born Feb. 17, 1984 Majoring in general management Enjoys fishing and wood working Graduated from East Lansing High School Four-year letterwinner in lacrosse, earning all-state honors as a senior Full name is Andrew Nickname is "Drew" or "Droopee" Favorite NHL Team: Colorado Avalanche Favorite NHL Player: Joe Sakic Lists "American Chopper" as his favorite television show and "Matrix" as his favorite movie Son of Dean and Teresa Miller Father (Dean - 1978-79), grandfather (Butch - 1956, '59), brother (Ryan - 2000-02) and uncle (Lyle - 1964) all lettered for the Spartans in hockey, as did cousins Kip (1987-90), Kevin (1985-88) and Kelly (1982-85) Miller and Curtis (1996-99) and Taylor (1996) Gemmel Says his father is his biggest hockey influence because "he always pushes me to be my best and is very supportive" Selected by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the sixth round (186th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

:blink:

Say it ain't so Drew... Hopefully that's just because of Sakic.

Oh well, he's a Red Wing now and that's what counts. And I like how his nickname is Droopee.

#52 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Posted Image

http://www.mlive.com...s_more_sco.html

Move to center brings more scoring chances for Red Wings' Drew Miller

By Ansar Khan
March 26, 2010, 10:00PM

DETROIT -- Drew Miller is registering more shots on goal and generating more scoring chances since being moved from the wing to center.

It hasn't yet translated to much offense for the Detroit Red Wings, but coach Mike Babcock likes the way Miller has settled into the third-line center spot vacated two weeks ago by Valtteri Filppula, who was moved up to left wing on Henrik Zetterberg's line.

"We needed that to happen,'' Babcock said. "For a while, we played guys on the top two lines in that (third-line center) hole, but we think he's done a good enough job that we'll just go the way we've been going.''

Miller, centering a line with Dan Cleary and Jason Williams, had 19 shots in six games before Friday. He had recorded four shots in each of four games -- something he had done only once in his first 51 games with Detroit (six vs. Carolina on Jan. 14).

"I'm using my speed to try to skate more with the puck and create more room for myself and my linemates to get open,'' Miller said. "If I can get more shots, I have to start scoring now.

"The chances are coming. The more I'm in those situations I'll be more comfortable and be able to put the puck in the net.''

Although Miller had no points in the previous six games, he has contributed more offense than anticipated, with eight goals and 17 points in 57 games since being claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay on Nov. 12.

"He's a very smart player, he knows where to go, where to be, and he knows how to play offense or defense,'' Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "That really comes in handy when you have a player you can use in any situation, who can play any (forward) position.''

A checking forward and penalty killer throughout his brief NHL career, the Michigan State product was hoping to expand his horizons.

"When I first got here, you want to start out by being responsible (defensively) and move forward from there,'' Miller said. "So you don't want to be just one type of player, you want to be multi-dimensional -- kill penalties, fitting on any line you can, power play if you have to, do whatever you can to help the team.''

Said Babcock: "He's getting more confidence all the time. We think he's got some talent. He can really skate, he's got a good shot, he's good defensively, he's aware. Ideally, he can chip in offensively as well.''

One area in which Miller is trying to improve is faceoffs. He has won only 36.8 percent of his draws (14-of-38). Cleary and Williams take some of the faceoffs for that line.

"I just watch (Kris) Draper practice, watch clips on video, try to learn little tricks,'' Miller said.

#53 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Soon double digits for miller time! YEAH, miller, eaves, helm all with atleast 10goals... just draper that has cooled down... well seasons ago but still

Edited by mindfly, 26 March 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#54 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

We need to lock him up, hes a great role player. He has been one of the pleasant surprises this season.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#55 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

We need to lock him up, hes a great role player. He has been one of the pleasant surprises this season.

I agree. It'll be very interesting to see how the roster looks at the beginning of next season. They need to sign Homer, Bert, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader up front and a couple on the back end as well (Nick and Lils, hopefully).

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen
Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Eaves
Ritola
(Maltby)

#56 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

no need to re sign Williams. What if Hudler comes back?

#57 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

I agree. It'll be very interesting to see how the roster looks at the beginning of next season. They need to sign Homer, Bert, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader up front and a couple on the back end as well (Nick and Lils, hopefully).

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen
Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Eaves
Ritola
(Maltby)

I think we still need a scoring upgrade up front. I'd switch Bertuzzi for a higher end forward. If Hudler comes back it really throws a wrench in the works... I don't think I'd want to choose between Miller and Eaves.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#58 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

As good as Bertuzzi has been, if we could obtain a guaranteed scoring winger to replace him the move has to be made. Otherwise we might have to lose Eaves or Miller. And to be brutally honest, I'd rather have two young, hard working guys who can score once in a while locked up with the team for many years than have Bertuzzi for a year or two, even if he continues to play well.

I would like to see Bertuzzi back, but we're really running out of roster spots here.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#59 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

I think we still need a scoring upgrade up front. I'd switch Bertuzzi for a higher end forward. If Hudler comes back it really throws a wrench in the works... I don't think I'd want to choose between Miller and Eaves.

At the same time you gotta like the way Bertuzzi provides a net-front presence. He's a lot harder to move away from the net than Cleary. In that way, Bert's been able to create a lot of space for Z and Fil.

#60 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

I love Miller and hope he stays for sure. I saw a line with him and Abby on it, does anybody know if Abby is coming up for the playoffs? or is there noone o remove for him?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.