• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
XxGoWingsxX

Ericsson Upbeat about injury

Rate this topic

http://vyous.com/sports/nhl/redwings/2009/...roit-free-press

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson can’t quite straighten out his left leg and can’t quite bend it, either, but given that he has no ligament damage to his knee, he is, more than anything, upbeat.

“I feel pretty good,†he said today, the first time he spoke since suffering a deep bone bruise when he was hit by Phoenix’s Shane Doan in the first period of Monday’s 3-2 victory. Ericsson is out at least two weeks.

“It could have been worse, a lot worse,†he said. “I felt my leg go in the other direction, so I felt something was wrong right away. I was just glad that it wasn’t worse. I was in here and they took a look at it right away, and the things that worried me the most, they were pretty stable right away. So that kind of got my hopes up a little bit more. Then the MRI showed there was nothing wrong with my ACL, so I’m happy.â€

The Wings won’t really have a firm grasp on when Ericsson might return until swelling subsides.

Ericsson bears no grudge against Doan, saying, “It was a clean hit, it’s just he hit my leg first and just hit the inside of my knee. That was where the big impact was. I don’t feel it was a dirty hit at all.â€

Doan reached out through a Wings trainer to say he felt bad about causing injury. “I appreciate those kinds of things," Ericsson said. "Even though it wasn’t a dirty hit, he was still worried. I kind of respect him more as a player right now -- he’s concerned about me after what happened, and it’s nice.â€

Ericsson joins a sick bay that already included forwards Johan Franzen, Valtteri Filppula, Jason Williams, Dan Cleary and Darren Helm, plus defensemen Niklas Kronwall and Andreas Lilja.

“It just feels like it’s got to be enough now,†Ericsson said. “We’ve had some unlucky injuries, and it just keeps going. Now it’s got to be a stop for it.â€

I think it was very cool of Shane Doan to reach out and apologize and check in on Big E. I didn't ever think the hit was dirty and it shows a lot of class on Shane's Part.

Edited by XxGoWingsxX

did anyone say it was dirty?

Well, In the GDT when the hit happened there were quite a few people claiming it was dirty. It was just an unfortunate situation is all. Not dirty. So yeah to answer your question, people did claim it was dirty.

Like I've said before, I still think Lilja or May should kick Doan's ass the next time we play them.

His apology doesn't pay the bill so to speak. I suspect he's apologizing to worm his way out of a beating.

His continuous laughing on the bench afterwords earned him a beating. He was not involved in the goal, and just injured a player yet he was the happiest guy on the bench. Someone knock that guy out.

Guest Lidstromboli
His continuous laughing on the bench afterwords earned him a beating. He was not involved in the goal, and just injured a player yet he was the happiest guy on the bench. Someone knock that guy out.

hahaha

i'm sure you could hear what he was laughing about from your couch, huh?

hahaha

i'm sure you could hear what he was laughing about from your couch, huh?

"Hey Doanie, two atoms are hanging out when suddenly one says to the other, 'hey I think I lost an electron!' Then the other goes, 'are you sure?' And he responds 'I'm POSITIVE!!!!' yuk yuk yuk"

"LOL OH HEY WE SCORED"

Why? Doan isn't a guy with a punk attitude, the hit wasn't dirty. Hockey is a physical game and s**t happens. No "messages" have to be sent, so don't be so ridiculous.

Well, then you can write Doan an apology letter on behalf of the Wings, after one of our tough guys beats his ass.

SO going by all your logic, Havlat still owes Kronwall a beating for the hit that sent him packing in last years WCF? C'mon guys, it's hockey. There are gonna be hits, and on occasion there will be a freak situation where someone gets hurt. It happens. Doan did nothing dirty and could have laughed about anything on the bench. Is he supposed to mope for the rest of the game cus he hurt someone? Nope, i'm sure he's hurt someone before on accident. It happens.

SO going by all your logic, Havlat still owes Kronwall a beating for the hit that sent him packing in last years WCF? C'mon guys, it's hockey. There are gonna be hits, and on occasion there will be a freak situation where someone gets hurt. It happens. Doan did nothing dirty and could have laughed about anything on the bench. Is he supposed to mope for the rest of the game cus he hurt someone? Nope, i'm sure he's hurt someone before on accident. It happens.

Havlat is more than welcome to do it if he's up for it.

Why are you guys so against one of our tough guys or Ericsson himself challenging Doan the next game? It's hockey after all. Doan is able to stand up for himself.

Shane Doan? Pffft. Everybody knows the real secret to the Coyotes' success:

50408_Bruins_Coyotes_Hockey.jpg

Enjoy riding the coattails of one of the all-time greats while you can, Shane.

God that uniform (and the fox logo) looks hideous.

I remember many years ago people thought there was a good chance of Doan coming to Detroit.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest CaliWingsNut
Like I've said before, I still think Lilja or May should kick Doan's ass the next time we play them.

His apology doesn't pay the bill so to speak. I suspect he's apologizing to worm his way out of a beating.

from who?

Havlat is more than welcome to do it if he's up for it.

Why are you guys so against one of our tough guys or Ericsson himself challenging Doan the next game? It's hockey after all. Doan is able to stand up for himself.

If I were a Chicago fan I know I would want someone to get Kronwall, its hockey you hurt a player with a hit, a beating could be coming your way.

Doan has had his fair share of brush ups I'm sure he would be game and might even expect someone to introduce themselves next game against the yotes.

Guest Lidstromboli
If I were a Chicago fan I know I would want someone to get Kronwall, its hockey you hurt a player with a hit, a beating could be coming your way.

Doan has had his fair share of brush ups I'm sure he would be game and might even expect someone to introduce themselves next game against the yotes.

yeah they might even shake hands and arrange for lunch the next day

If the hit had been dirty and if Doan had (for example) said something like, "I'm sick of talking about Ericsson. No one ever heard of him before this. I made him famous. The kid owes me." and then crushed his beer can and threw it in the trash as though to convey his thoughts of Jonny, then I'd be calling for his head in the future.

Instead he checked to make sure that Ericsson was ok and expressed regret about the outcome of a clean hit.

If we must get all hot and bothered about retribution (and I do like getting hot and bothered about retribution), someone still needs to lay out Pronger for the hit on Homer and his "I can't control my elbows because I'm so tall- blame it on physics" quote.

I'm so sick of "needing retribution" for a clean hit. When did this become standard in the NHL? Did I miss something over the last 5 years? It's one thing to go after a guy for a dirty hit, but another to go after someone after a clean hit. This seems to be happening on a regular basis and it's ridiculous.

Guest micah
I'm so sick of "needing retribution" for a clean hit. When did this become standard in the NHL? Did I miss something over the last 5 years?

1917. I am not aware of any era in which players did not sometimes seek retaliation for legal but heavey hits. Gordie Howe was as known for suckering players who cleanly embarassed him as he was for his scoring.