• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jake Ryan

Advertising on jerseys

Rate this topic

Why not allow the NHL teams to advertise on their jerseys?

5 million per season for a chest logo

3 million per season for a back logo below the numbers

1 million for a right shoulder logo

1 million for a left shoulder logo

What would this hurt?

fischer.jpg

What would this hurt?

fischer.jpg

My eyes. The minors do this and some of them are down right hideous. See: Nascar

What would this hurt?

fischer.jpg

My heart....

DO NOT WANT

Why not? Because I don't think anyone really wants the Wings to look like this...

SannyLindströmTimrå.jpg

Open the door to advertismenta on jerseys, and I guarantee you it's only a matter of time before it gets to be like that.

This isn't NASCAR, the KHL, or some other junior league that has to turn their players into skating billboards just to scrape by.

So if the Wings would have had a 66 million dollar cap this year instead of a 56 million dollar one, you would have chosen to keep the ads OFF the jersey?

A team should be able to give the league their jersey advertising revenue, up to a certain amount, in exchange for more cap space.

So if the Wings would have had a 66 million dollar cap this year instead of a 56 million dollar one, you would have chosen to keep the ads OFF the jersey?

A team should be able to give the league their jersey advertising revenue, up to a certain amount, in exchange for more cap space.

I'm confused at how you think allowing ads on jerseys would change the cap whatsoever.

I'm confused at how you think allowing ads on jerseys would change the cap whatsoever.

It's a proposition. What is so hard to understand?

A team gives the NHL up to X million dollars of revenue generated from advertising on its jersey. The league, in return, grants the team additional cap space. The NHL can redistribute the money to struggling franchises (revenue sharing), and teams that have drafted/acquired well don't have to suffer from forced parity.

If the cap hit suddenly raised 10M players would also ask more as organizations could pay more and it would cause an inflation in the player market. Edited by Finnish Wing

It's a proposition. What is so hard to understand?

A team gives the NHL up to X million dollars of revenue generated from advertising on its jersey. The league, in return, grants the team additional cap space. The NHL can redistribute the money to struggling franchises (revenue sharing), and teams that have drafted/acquired well don't have to suffer from forced parity.

I love how you molded a suggestion from using one of LGW's most hated things to get rid of one of LGW's most hated things.

man jake ryan starts some awful threads...

I hope you are not just realizing this. Some folks call moronic controversy fair play for debate. But, to allow myself to be drawn in to this less than intelligent (imho) thread....

I'll quit watchin.

The NHL doesn't give a s*** about revenue sharing, and the NHL gives even less of a s*** about the Wings and other rich teams getting a bigger payroll.

I care! The reason the Wings had to let go of Hossa and Hudler is because teams like Phoenix and Florida can't pay their bills. I don't like the other end of the spectrum (New York Yankees) where one team generates all the revenue and can pay as much as they want to get the best players in every position, but I'm against the end of the spectrum we're at now where all the teams have to be even so the NHL doesn't have a few franchises fold.

Ok guys. Agree or disagree all you want, but at least add to the discussion in a constructive manner if you're going to post in the thread.

What Jake is proposing isn't exactly a new or unheard of concept. Remember when Brodeur, Hasek, and others were suggesting ads on goalie jerseys?

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287

Mlive even had a story/blog about this in the offseason, citing a story by USA Today in it.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07/th...ing_advert.html

Ridonculous topic! Allow me to elaborate. Absolutely stupid idea. I'll elaborate on that, as well.

Advertising revenue has absolutely nothing to do with the cap. You would still end up with some teams generating all the money (Detroit), and passing it on to suckhole teams (Florida). The cap is there to keep salary levels, teamwise, even across the board. You move more money to other teams, but everybody's income goes up, including players who will want more because the cap is higher.

Just my thoughts....

No, i would be embarrassed for the NHL. I am already embarrassed every time the Call Sam Studios pops on.

And teams like the Wings have too much pride and tradition in their sweaters to turn them into a billboard.

Edited by pirateasaurus

Ok guys. Agree or disagree all you want, but at least add to the discussion in a constructive manner if you're going to post in the thread.

What Jake is proposing isn't exactly a new or unheard of concept. Remember when Brodeur, Hasek, and others were suggesting ads on goalie jerseys?

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287

Mlive even had a story/blog about this in the offseason, citing a story by USA Today in it.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07/th...ing_advert.html

Apparently, there is a disturbance in the force!

The NHL has sold out enough (NBC). Unless this would equate to a significant reduction in ticket, food, merch costs (which it more than likely wouldn't), then this would be an EPIC FAIL. Stop fueling Bettman's ideas. Next thread!