• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WMUCarGuy

Great Red Wings "Coffee Table" Books?

Rate this topic

So I'm looking for a great Red Wings "Coffee Table" type book. One with great stories, and lots of big color photos and the like as well. Any you guys would suggest?

Edited by WMUCarGuy

Funny you should ask this today since I just got one for christmas. I'd say its pretty coffee tablish. Its called What it means to be a red wing. Its by Kevin Allen. Not alot of pictures but there are some and its classy looking as hell.

Funny you should ask this today since I just got one for christmas. I'd say its pretty coffee tablish. Its called What it means to be a red wing. Its by Kevin Allen. Not alot of pictures but there are some and its classy looking as hell.

When I saw the topic, I was going to respond with this book as well. It's not so much about the pictures but it's easy to pick up read a small section at time. I ordered it very inexpensively last month off of Amazon and couldn't put it down the first night. I handed it to my Dad and just to show him what it was and he "borrowed" it for the next hour because he couldn't put it down either.

My "coffee table" book is "Forty-Eight Hours with the Detroit Red Wings".

It's a little old (Hank as a rookie), but there are some cool pics, and it really takes you behind the scenes at the Joe. In the event that we get another venue, it will be classic.

It's big and "coffee-tabley".

I have that book. It is very good.

I also like "Hockey: A People's History"

Edited by CenterIce

"History of Hockeytown" and "Heroes of Hockeytown: From A to Z" are excellent coffee table books. They are large, have huge full color photos and are full of great stories. They can be found at the Joe or Hockeytown Authentics for $20 and $10 respectively.

I will vouch for both "What it Means to be a Red Wing" and "48 Hours with the Detroit Red Wings". I love them both. My copy of "48" has been autographed by quite a few of the guys...and my copy of "What it Means" has been signed by Pasha.

I also found one at Borders in Traverse this fall called "Hockey Chronicle". This one is a really thick, beautiful history of the game, going back to the very beginnings of professional hockey and going all the way up to 2007. Lots of pictures, stories, and just a great read. For those with short attention spans, they can find this one easy to read in small pieces.

I actually was looking at books today at Borders. I took a look at "Red Wings Essential: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Real Fan". It's things we all know but I found it interesting since they have a lot of the players perspective on the whole thing and direct quotes form interviews. They separated into chapters they are short and simple. Again, any true fan knows 90% of what's already in there but I found it nice. It only goes to 2006 so you'll be reading it and finding a few things out of date. But still, I suggest you to check that out.

There's a picture book at Hockeytown Authentics, strictly on the Cup win in 08. Pictures on the plane ride home, pictures of the party that night, pictures of all the players and coaches with the Cup for their day during the Summer. Really neat pics. For example, there is a picture of Babcock going out water skiing in some lake in Saskatchewan. And the Cup is in the boat!

Its called the On Tour With The Red Wings & Stanley 2008

I'd recommend "Blood Feud" by Adrian Dater which chronicles the Wings/Avs rivalry. Has an awesome forward by Scotty Bowman. I also have "The Captain" from the Detroit Free Press which is obviously about Yzerman's career.