• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Another Wing injured?

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/20...ola_headed.html

Mattias Ritola admitted he was a little surprised when the parent club Detroit Red Wings recalled him from the Grand Rapids Griffins on Monday.

Imagine how shocked the 22-year-old left wing must have been after the Griffins’ 7-4 loss to the Chicago Wolves on Saturday night at Van Andel Arena.

The Red Wings recalled Ritola again after the game, and he’ll be available for Detroit’s game at Columbus on Monday night.

Couldn't it something else, like they want to make someone a healthy scratch for a game or two and give Ritola another chance to show his stuff?? Let's not immidiately think "injury", even though that's the way the season has gone so far..

Guest mindfly

What the......Ouch..........................

Hopefully they just wanna scratch someone, why not Leino :D

Edited by mindfly

i didnt watch the whole game but in the first i remember mickey saying lidstrom was grabbing his wrist in a funny way. he might be the next injury

Wouldn't that be just great... But if that was the case they would probably have called up a defenseman.

i didnt watch the whole game but in the first i remember mickey saying lidstrom was grabbing his wrist in a funny way. he might be the next injury

doubt it, why would they recall a forward to replace lidstrom?

I'm wondering if they're keeping him up for the time being as an extra forward, or to give someone (hopefully Leino) a chance to rest (or healthy scratch in Leino's case). It's possible that they just sent him down to play in the game vs. the Wolves, rather than just outright bench him when Flip came back against the Jackets.

At least, I'm hoping for that over the alternative theory, that he's a callup to replace another injury.

There are other prospects in Grand Rapids who deserve a chance :(

I was at GR's game last night. Ritola was the only one who had any fire in him. Too long of a Christmas break for some of the boys!

Actually when I saw in this morning's newspaper that Ritola has been recalled but no details about it, I thought that the GR Press was finally getting around to reporting last week's recall!

I think it is to scratch another player. Babs might be trying to get some more scoring punch. IMHO Leino is totally useless. He has gone downhill faster than a two ton ball of snow. Babs says that earlier in the season Filppula and Leino had a very good line. First of all, Williams was also on that line and scored some goals but that line didn't score that many goals ANYWAY! Secondly, they were only a "good" line because all the other lines flat out sucked in the beginning of the year.

Leino is useless.... his skating needs drastic improvement. He is weak on the puck, can't win the battles in the corners and hasn't been going to the net..... so what good is he???? He is not a premier penalty killer. I really don't think the Wings resign him unless they get him for cheap and he is willing to prove himself. He is not playing with the energy and intensity required by the Winged Wheel.

More flu?

Sounds like it might have been preplanned:

Fraser, for one, said another recall will be a boon for both the young Swede and the Griffins.

"I think this is good for Matt," Fraser said. "He’ll go up there for a week and continue to get back on track so that when he comes back down here hopefully he’ll be our best player every night."

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/20...ola_headed.html

Edited by CenterIce

Per Mlive 20 minutes ago.

Red Wings recall forward Mattias Ritola, likely to replace Ville Leino for Columbus game

By Ansar Khan

December 27, 2009, 4:13PM

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings recalled forward Mattias Ritola from Grand Rapids. He likely will replace struggling Ville Leino in the lineup for Monday's game in Columbus, though coach Mike Babcock said after Sunday's practice that he hadn't decided whether Ritola will play.

“I don’t have any idea what I’m going to do yet,'' Babcock said. "After the game last night we just went through our lineup and thought maybe here’s a guy who can help our team, so we called him up. We’ll decide what we do tomorrow.’’

Leino has just three goals and three assists in 35 games, but the lack of production doesn't upset Babcock as much as his lack of competitiveness.

Ritola practiced on a line with Valtteri Filppula and Drew Miller, while Leino was the odd-man out.

“Anytime someone comes in and moves into the spot you were in and now you don’t have a line, I’d say that’s a message,'' Babcock said. "But it’s not about sending a message anymore. We got to be better. You get so much opportunity and if you don’t take advantage of your opportunity, somebody else gets the opportunity.’’

Here are the lines they skated with:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Ritola-Filppula-Miller

Draper-Helm-Eaves

May-Abdelkader-Maltby (Leino working in)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Lebda-Stuart

Meech-Janik

Howard (starting at Columbus)

Osgood

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ward_matti.html