65 replies to this topic

#41 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (cjm502 @ December 27, 2009 - 07:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still, despite being scratched multiple times, and playing on the second line thats all he did. Abdelkader was also supposed to spend this season in Grand Rapids, remember? Abdelkader has also spent most of his time on the 4th line up until just recently.

And Ritola is projected as a 3rd or 4th liner according to redwingscentral.com. It's also stated that he's "Skilled, but may not have enough to be a scoring-line player". You said he'd have more points than Leino and I'm saying that doesn't seem very logical since Abdelkader isn't even putting up very many points despite getting some quality top line minutes with offensive players... Plus centering the 2nd Power Play unit.

Did you forget that Leino is just as much of a rookie on this team as Abdelkader? I'm not arguing that Leino should sit, I'm just pointing out that your statement Ritola would put up more points than Leino or Abdelkader in 35 games is really stretching things.

#42 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Miller Brew @ December 27, 2009 - 05:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you forget that Leino is just as much of a rookie on this team as Abdelkader? I'm not arguing that Leino should sit, I'm just pointing out that your statement Ritola would put up more points than Leino or Abdelkader in 35 games is really stretching things.

Abdelkader brings all the qualitys a 4th liner needs, except for the fact he's passive in the agressive stuff. Leino just floats and if he isnt scoring, he is useless.

#NOMOREKINDL

#43 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ December 27, 2009 - 07:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Abdelkader brings all the qualitys a 4th liner needs, except for the fact he's passive in the agressive stuff. Leino just floats and if he isnt scoring, he is useless.

Exactly.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 GROwl

GROwl

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ December 27, 2009 - 06:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must be a pain in the ass driving back and forth from detroit-grand parids.. don't know the distance but it must be a few hours since its on the other side of the state.. but i guess it's better than los angeles' ahl team which is located in new hampshire tongue.gif

The guys who I've talked with don't mind the drive to Detroit at all...its the ride back to GR that sucks (as well as the paycut by coming back to the AHL)!

rolleyes.gif

#45 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Detroit%20%23%201%20Fan @ December 27, 2009 - 07:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's totally off what cjm502 and I are talking about. We're talking about how cjm502 thinks Ritola would have more than 6 points this time of year if he had Leino's spot. We're talking about points. Not anything else.

#46 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (cjm502 @ December 27, 2009 - 07:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly.

I thought we were talking about points??? Are we talking about 4th line grinding and hits or are we talking about Points? I'm confused. You said Ritola would have more than 6 points right now in the NHL. My point was Abby only has 6 points centering the 2nd line and PP.

What are we talking about? Points or grinding? I agree, Ritola would make a better 4th line grinder than Leino.

Edited by Miller Brew, 27 December 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#47 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Miller Brew @ December 27, 2009 - 05:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's totally off what cjm502 and I are talking about. We're talking about how cjm502 thinks Ritola would have more than 6 points this time of year if he had Leino's spot. We're talking about points. Not anything else.

Yea, but I quoted where you said Abby and Leino are rookies, I just said there different and theres no comparison other then that. And I know Ritola isnt great, and believe me, I dont even like him lol, but 6 points is nothing. If Ritola had as much time with Z and Fil that Leino had early on, he probably would've put up some points.

#NOMOREKINDL

#48 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Detroit%20%23%201%20Fan @ December 27, 2009 - 07:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, but I quoted where you said Abby and Leino are rookies, I just said there different and theres no comparison other then that. And I know Ritola isnt great, and believe me, I dont even like him lol, but 6 points is nothing. If Ritola had as much time with Z and Fil that Leino had early on, he probably would've put up some points.

Abby has more offensive upside than Ritola... and has 6 points so far this season. I know Abby brings more to the game than just points. I honestly hope Abby stays up when Wings are healthy.

#49 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

Lets hope Ritola does play! This game will be on HD so I'm pumped to see Flip and Mattias!

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#50 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Miller Brew @ December 27, 2009 - 07:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought we were talking about points??? Are we talking about 4th line grinding and hits or are we talking about Points? I'm confused. You said Ritola would have more than 6 points right now in the NHL. My point was Abby only has 6 points centering the 2nd line and PP.

What are we talking about? Points or grinding? I agree, Ritola would make a better 4th line grinder than Leino.

I know. Im just agreeing with what he was saying. Abby is not a scorer, and was not intended to be. He is not even supposed to be in the NHL right now. Scoring is what we are looking for out of Leino. He has provided as much as our minor league grinder.

Edited by cjm502, 27 December 2009 - 08:16 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

i'll be at the game tomorrow in full HD

i need ideas for a lebda sign shifty.gif

Posted Image

#52 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Miller Brew @ December 27, 2009 - 07:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay but isn't Ritola supposed to have a higher ceiling than Abdelkader? Isn't Ritola's job supposed to be closer to Leino's than Abs' is?

Posted Image

#53 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ December 27, 2009 - 09:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay but isn't Ritola supposed to have a higher ceiling than Abdelkader? Isn't Ritola's job supposed to be closer to Leino's than Abs' is?

Ritola is more skilled than Abdelkader, better at holding onto the puck and controlling the play but Abdelkader has the higher upside. Ritola is a poor man's Filppula; skillful, a good skater and defensively sound but for one reason or another the points don't seem to come. And like Flip, he doesn't shoot enough. I see him as having 3rd line upside, and a 20 point guy in the NHL.

Abdelkader projects as a 20-20 type guy IMO. Not as skillful but more of a crash and bash, garbage type goal player.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 27 December 2009 - 09:25 PM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#54 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Doc%20Holliday @ December 27, 2009 - 09:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Abdelkader-

Projection

Abdelkader put himself on the map when he was named most outstanding player at the NCAA Frozen Four tournament en route to a national championship in 2007. He has progressed rapidly ever since — including an impressive AHL rookie year in 2008-09 — and is a lock to become third-line role player for the Red Wings in the future. He will battle for an NHL roster spot in 2009-10 but could spend at least part of another season in the AHL with Grand Rapids.

http://www.redwingsc.../abdelkader.php

Ritola-

Projection

Ritola progressed as an AHL sophomore in 2008-09 but took a step back in the second half of the season and in the playoffs. A shoulder injury hampered his ability to perform up to his early-season standard. He will be back with Grand Rapids in 2009-10, and if he can put together a consistent season, he could eventually get a look with the Red Wings.

Skilled, but may not have enough to be a scoring-line player ... More strength will allow him to work his way onto the Red Wings' roster in a fourth-line role to start ... Continued improvement in traffic areas will help him ... Consistent point production has been a problem.

http://www.redwingsc...ects/ritola.php

#55 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Dont almost all players start off with a 4th line role?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Lidstromboli @ December 27, 2009 - 08:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'll be at the game tomorrow in full HD

i need ideas for a lebda sign shifty.gif

hmmn...how about
"Lebda - because a dead body would've put us over the cap"
or
"Will trade Lebda for Detroit real estate"

no?
maybe this...
"Lebda...further proof that God hates Detroit!!"
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#57 Miller Brew

Miller Brew

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (cjm502 @ December 27, 2009 - 09:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont almost all players start off with a 4th line role?

Andrej Nestrasil is projected as a top-six as the "new-age NHL Power Forward"

http://www.redwingsc...s/nestrasil.php

#58 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

LOL..... I was right....

Good riddance Leino..... if you don't want to bust your @ss wearing that Winged Wheel, then you don't deserve to wear it. That's why players like Draper and Maltby have lasted so long..... they may not score a ton of goals but they give 125% effort. That kind of effort leads to opportunities.... if not goal scoring then at least drawing penalties and preventing goals against. I doubt if Leino drew even one penalty all year AND he was a team leading MINUS 9. Go back to Finland.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#59 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

When everyone returns from injury I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Wings decide to keep Miller and release Leino. Babcock has given Leino EVERY opportunity to prove himself. He has played on every line and with just about every player. He has received lots of ice time and has not taken advantage of it. Miller has done more and contributed more than Leino in a shorter period of time.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#60 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Im not getting involved with the Leino slagging off as i find it in bad taste, as at present the lad is representing our team, same as how some seem to find Lebda easy pickins to slate. When players hit bad spells they need encouragement from their fans. Talk about a witch hunt. This year was going to be difficult for us without all the injuries we have taken and I'll be happy to nick the 8th spot at the end of the season, hopefully with a healthy roster. The guy isn't usless as some have suggested, he has had a rude awakening after a successful few games last year. With last years roster I could have put points on the board. I understand the frustration shown by some, but if we take both Hudler and Filppula's first full season's they put up 25 and 17 points with a much better supporting cast. I think that Ville was penciled in to play 3rd line mins at the start of the year and with the injuries he has been asked to play top 6 which he just isn't ready for simple as that. Im sure he is more upset with his play than us fans are and maybe a week out may do him some good. I hope so as the lad has got some talent, just needs to settle down more put in the hard miles and his skill set will come thru.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.