• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetts

Samuelsson blasts Sweden

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
That's why they took Modin. He doesn't need to score to be useful, and is a tough and gritty character player that fits in with the mold of the 2010 team. He'll stand in front of the net, go into the corners, is unafraid to take the body, and honestly, when he's healthy, he's better than Samuelsson at the only thing Samuelsson is slightly decent at; scoring goals.

Mikael Samuelsson adds absolutely nothing to Sweden. Nothing. He is one of the least accurate-shooting regular NHL forwards in recent history. His defense is hardly more than mediocre, and well, I think we can agree that the words "physical", "gritty", and "tough" do not describe him. Ask a Detroit fan.

This is NHL ice. Sweden knows it will be a very physical tournament, and that's what they geared up for. And when you're going into a physical situation, trust me, you leave Mikael Samuelsson behind. It would be a different story of Samuelsson was better offensively. He's not.

This team's fortunes at the 2010 Olympics have exactly zero correlation to whether Fredrik Modin or Mikael Samuelsson is on the roster. I think we know that. And Sweden knows that too. In that case, why not take the guy who you know will lay it all out on the line instead of the guy who apparently thinks he has a right to play for the defending Gold Medalists?

Now all that said, Modin is a pretty strange choice considering he has played a total of 80-something games over the past three seasons.

Found that on a forum, dunno the original source... pretty spot on :P

One thing I always liked about Sammy over the years were his interviews. His answers were always more interesting than the average hockey players coached to say "they're a good team/we gotta get pucks in deep/we gotta get more pucks on net" and very little else *points to sig*

For all the comments in this thread about "he's got plenty of money", you're missing the point. He WANTS to play for his country and win another gold medal. And why would they leave him out? He's on course for another 20 goal season. He's a solid, versatile player, who for all his infuriating play, is clutch.

Found that on a forum, dunno the original source... pretty spot on :P

Dude doesn't know about Sammy's clutch.

Plus, it's kinda funny when someone says "player so and so brings nothing... except scoring... to the team," as if that isn't the whole point in the first place.

Big picture though, he's probably right, not a huge impact one way or the other.

While I like that he speaks his mind, this was immensely stupid by him.. we have Alfredsson who is out like 1-2 months, might even miss the olympics. We have Forsberg, the most injury prone player in the world. Modin, who has played 8 games this season and is also injury prone.

The chances that a spot will open up on that team are 99%, and most likely Sammy was the no.1 reserve for Gustafsson. But after this? It's likely that Sammy doesn't have a chance in hell. Which is too bad, cause I'd really want him on that team.

Excellent post. :thumbup:

These early announcements for the Olympics mean jack s***, especially with all the injuries in the NHL this year. Many players will be forced to back out and someone will take their place.

If he wanted to make it on the first try, then that's one thing, but it's still a pretty funny quote for him to say, especially since he was one of the whipping boys here in Detroit.

This is an outrage! How will they know that the opposing goalie's pads and the boards around the nets are of sufficient quality??

LOL. I was looking to post on the same angle, but you did the job very well!

From MLIVE:

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Detroit Red Wings defenseman Andreas Lilja doesn't blame Mikael Samuelsson, his best friend and former teammate, for ripping Swedish Olympic officials for excluding him from the team.

Samuelsson told Vancouver reporters: "Probably going to get in trouble for this, but they (Team Sweden officials) can go (expletive) themselves.''

Lilja liked his reaction.

“I think it’s kind of nice when someone says what they really think instead of saying, 'OK, it was their decision, nothing I can do about it,' '' Lilja said. "Nice that people show emotions because he’s (ticked off). I don’t blame him.’’

Samuelsson's snub surprised many. He played on Sweden's 2006 gold medal-winning team and is having a decent season in Vancouver, with 10 goals and 14 assists.

“I was a little bit surprised he didn’t get picked,'' Red Wings and Team Sweden captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "It’s not an easy decision for the coaching staff to pick players and someone’s going to be upset.’’

Said Lilja: “When I look at our Swedish team, he’s one of the guys I would put in there first. He felt obviously mistreated.’’

Samuelsson is noted for his temper on the ice, but off the ice, Lilja said, “He’s compete opposite. He’s so nice and calm off the ice. I don’t blame him for saying what he said.''

“He was emotional on the ice, in the card game on the plane,’’ Lidstrom said, laughing. “He’s a competitive player. It really shows on the ice, even though he’s not a fighter, he gets his nose in there and he’s not afraid to get dirty.’’

He should've called them all sloppy seconds!

esteef

He can get away with that.. Im pretty sure its the same as if you are black you can say the "N" Word. Vancouver took him as some of Detroit's sloppy seconds so now he is allowed to use the term Sloppy Seconds to describe other people and things.

He's a solid, versatile player, who for all his infuriating play, is clutch.

Everyone talks about how bad he is, but he really is clutch, especially in the playoffs. OT winner against Chicago last year, first two goals in the 08 Final, not bad. I really liked him with Detroit and I would have loved to see him play for Sweden. I like that he spoke his mind, but in this case, not a good idea.

Don't forget burying the Sharks. Bro's got a flair for the dramatic.

Yeah I was gonna say that. "Scored the only 2 goals in a 2-0 victory against the Sharks to eliminate them in 6 in the 07 playoffs". But I didn't think anyone would remember that really.

Sammy's outburst reminds me of what someone else said, only 13 short years ago:

"I can't believe I shook the guy's friggin hand"

Made by Dino Cicciarelli, of the Detroit Red Wings, discussing shaking Turtle LeDouche's hand after the Draper incident.

not gonna lie i haven't read any other posts, but i laughed my arse off when i heard what he said.

he should probably be on the team, as much as I wasn't crazy about him I wish we had him as a depth player right now.

Samuelsson should be on the Swedish team. He may have been the whipping boy here, but he scored some clutch goals with us, especially in the playoffs. Also, he's not a bad defensive player either. I'm glad he said what he said.