• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gnredwing

Jimmy Howard

Rate this topic

Howards play the past weeks has been great. Jimmy Howard is keeping this team in every game even though we have trouble scoring. My predection is in 4 years he will be on team usa in the olympics!!! GO HOWARD

This guy is getting the Job done and that's what matters. He started the season slow, but what do you expect from a rookie? Now he is stealing games for us. He is playing very good and we still don't have our best players back. Once Kronwall, Zetterberg, Cleary, and Ericsson get back this team will be much better defensively. Hopefully Jimmy will play this well with less action when these guys come back.

If Lilja happens to come back this year he would be make us even better on the back end. I hope Jimmy continues to play like this when everyone comes back and we have a full team.

This guy is getting the Job done and that's what matters. He started the season slow, but what do you expect from a rookie? Now he is stealing games for us. He is playing very good and we still don't have our best players back. Once Kronwall, Zetterberg, Cleary, and Ericsson get back this team will be much better defensively. Hopefully Jimmy will play this well with less action when these guys come back.

If Lilja happens to come back this year he would be make us even better on the back end. I hope Jimmy continues to play like this when everyone comes back and we have a full team.

I am also waiting on Franzen to return, his scoring, along with other returned players, should help counter any rookie mistakes that Jimmy makes as he develops :)

The future is looking bright for the Wings.

I am also waiting on Franzen to return, his scoring, along with other returned players, should help counter any rookie mistakes that Jimmy makes as he develops :)

The future is looking bright for the Wings.

Your right, Franzens return is the one were all waiting for, but sadly its still a good bit away. At least in this month we should get everyone else back.

Franzen will be like a trade deadline addition without giving anyone up. :lol:

Let me start by saying I think Jimmy has been playing well, and I think he should be starting over Osgood until he shows otherwise.

BUT I think it's an exaggeration to say he's stealing games for us. He's been giving the team a chance to win (when they score friggin goals). He still needs to work on his rebound control, and he really needs to work on his decision-making about playing the puck. But considering he's a rookie, he's looking good.

I just can't make myself like Howard no matter how hard I try. My stomach is always in an uproar when he is in goal.

Well, I kind of know what you mean. It has been a while since we had a goalie where you felt super confident (Hasek for example, Ozzie in the Cup finals two years ago). I miss those days, but I think Howard deserves a little faith and time.

Have no fear... soon the mindless Osgood legion will be here with pitchforks and torches.

In the meantime, Howard is showing why the organization had such patience. Yes, he still overcommits. Yes, he still could use more rebound control. Yes, he gets caught out of position from time to time. But he is younger, bigger, hungrier and is more athletic (imo) than Osgood. Thank god I'm not forced to watch Osgood sleepwalk through another season. Thanks Jimmy.

Plus he forcing Osgood to throw himself a pity party. Every other time Osgood has felt sorry for himself, he's ramped up his game. See what happens.

Edited by Broken 16

Have no fear... soon the mindless Osgood legion will be here with pitchforks and torches.

Maybe if you weren't setting up an obvious troll attempt there wouldn't be any taking offense.

For the fifth time this month, Howard has been doing well. He has not been stealing games for the Wings but he has stepped up when there have been a lot of problematic injuries for this team.

Maybe if you weren't setting up an obvious troll attempt there wouldn't be any taking offense.

For the fifth time this month, Howard has been doing well. He has not been stealing games for the Wings but he has stepped up when there have been a lot of problematic injuries for this team.

Troll attempt? Whatever that means. To be more accurate, the line you quoted is more of a bait attempt.

I understand that we can't gush over Howard too much or Osgood might cry.

Howard sucks

Troll attempt? Whatever that means. To be more accurate, the line you quoted is more of a bait attempt.

I understand that we can't gush over Howard too much or Osgood might cry.

Howard sucks

Ever gone fishing? There is a thing called casting out a fishing line and TROLLING to get a fish to bite.

BAITING is another term for the same concept.

But my entire point is it isn't necessary to gush over a specific player over and over and over and over again, just as it isn't necessary to bash a specific player over and over and over again. I'm happy for Howard just like I am happy for Bertuzzi but I don't think we need to reiterate that he is doing a good job every week.

If he can keep up this level of play throughout the season I don't see any reason why Howard would not be in contention for the Calder Trophy. Can't ask for much more out of him with a 2.25 GAA and a .921 S%.

Guest Lidstromboli
If he can keep up this level of play throughout the season I don't see any reason why Howard would not be in contention for the Calder Trophy. Can't ask for much more out of him with a 2.25 GAA and a .921 S%.

he plays for the red wings

I just can't make myself like Howard no matter how hard I try. My stomach is always in an uproar when he is in goal.

Maybe you shouldn't watch then. I think the Pistons are on, go watch them.

Jimmy has a .921 save percentage, tied with that Brodeur guy for 8th and a 2.25 GAA which is also 8th just ahead od Nabokov. What exactly can't you watch?

Let me start by saying I think Jimmy has been playing well, and I think he should be starting over Osgood until he shows otherwise.

BUT I think it's an exaggeration to say he's stealing games for us. He's been giving the team a chance to win (when they score friggin goals). He still needs to work on his rebound control, and he really needs to work on his decision-making about playing the puck. But considering he's a rookie, he's looking good.

You're kidding right? His save % is tied with Marty Brodeur for 8th and his GAA is just above Evgeni Nabkov also for 8th.

I'd say he deserves some credit. Right now his game is up there with Brodeur and Nabokov and they are the starting goaltenders for the teams that are #1 and #2 in the league in points right now.

He's more than "looking good for a rookie", he has been outstanding.

You're kidding right? His save % is tied with Marty Brodeur for 8th and his GAA is just above Evgeni Nabkov also for 8th.

I'd say he deserves some credit. Right now his game is up there with Brodeur and Nabokov and they are the starting goaltenders for the teams that are #1 and #2 in the league in points right now.

He's more than "looking good for a rookie", he has been outstanding.

No, I'm not kidding, and no he hasn't been outstanding. Forgive me for only saying he's been playing well. And I am giving him credit.

I could care less about where he stands relative to Brodeur statistically. Having a SV % close to Marty does not mean his game is up with Brodeur's or Nabby's. He's played 13 fewer games than Marty and 11 fewer than Nabokov, and I won't even get into the relative opponenets he's faced. I've actually watched the games. He's been good and gives the team a chance to win.

I'm not knocking Jimmy, but he hasn't stolen any games for us. He's been good and shown a lot of promise, especially for a rookie. He's been a steadying force, which this team has needed.

But I'm not gonna say he's been outstanding when he wasn't, just like I'm not gonna say he's been awful when everyone turns on him for letting in a bad goal.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

The fan reactions to a Red Wings goalie never ceases to amaze me. Apparently you're not a great goalie in a Detroit uniform unless you get a shutout every night. This team is very lucky to be anywhere near a playoff spot, and I can see only one person to thank for that. Well, maybe two if you count Bertuzzi. Sure, maybe Howard hasn't technically stolen any games. But this team is just good enough to lose by a goal or two every game, Howard is keeping just enough of those goals out for this team to get a few wins and that says a lot to me. Just keep in mind it's hard to steal a win when you're team can't score.

The fan reactions to a Red Wings goalie never ceases to amaze me. Apparently you're not a great goalie in a Detroit uniform unless you get a shutout every night. This team is very lucky to be anywhere near a playoff spot, and I can see only one person to thank for that. Well, maybe two if you count Bertuzzi. Sure, maybe Howard hasn't technically stolen any games. But this team is just good enough to lose by a goal or two every game, Howard is keeping just enough of those goals out for this team to get a few wins and that says a lot to me. Just keep in mind it's hard to steal a win when you're team can't score.

I completely agree.

I don't know how I can make any clearer I think Howard is playing well. I just get tired of the hyperbole here, particularly when it comes to goalies. they win a few and they're Vezina worthy, they let in a softie and they're the worst two ever play in the NHL.

As I said in my first post, I'm happy with Howard has been playing and think he should continue to be the starter.

Can we agree that goaltending is the least of the Wings problems? I have been quite surprised by Howard, I thought he would be good but I wasn't expecting this. And he seemes to improve just about every game, sure he takes a stumble every once in awhile but he comes back the next game like it didn't happen. He will steal games for this team, it's only a matter of time and experience.