• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vladifan

Jeremy Roenick says "a big fall is ahead for the Red Wings"

Rate this topic

“[NHL contraction would be fine if] mediocre European players ... typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not backing anything up.â€

“It would be a travesty if I'm not. I know they want a youth movement, and they need to have one, but it'd be disrespectful of the guys who have gotten Team USA to this point internationally.â€

“I know nobody on that team has more points in the National Hockey League than me. So if they want to go that way, good luck.â€

“I think they were holding the fact I haven't played in the last two World Cups against me. I'm a lot better player than my points indicate. I'm one of the guys that have (got) the USA to where it is today.â€

“I've done a lot for USA hockey. This is really my last chance to be in the Olympics and they took it away from me.â€

We should all listen carefully when the most important player in hockey speaks. At least in USA hockey.

Here's your grain of salt.

I know a lot of you guys like Roenick. I never have, so I think anything he has to say is pretty much nonsense. But the media continue to give him space, and people will read anything. So there ya go.

A LOT of fans want desperately for the Wings to fail. He's just taking advantage of that to get his name mentioned. It's certainly not embossed on the Cup, so this will have to do, eh?

Jeremy might be right, but personally I don't care that he says it any more than a poster here -- Jeremy is just a talking head and at this point his MO is getting in the headlines so he can continue making money post-retirement. Anyhow, eventually those deep playoff runs can take a toll on a team, and it's possible it's why the Wings have so many injury problems, with some bad luck or merely it exclusively being bad luck. It's a tough season for Wings fans, but even then there's still lots of promise this season. This team needed a little adversity instead of coasting into yet another Central division win and 1-3 seed.

This is all good stuff and I especially agree with the bolded statement. I think the fact that they've been so good in the past has caught up with them a bit. Ah, the problems that result from quality play, eh? :champs: And I want to think and hope that it's gonna pick up when our regulars start coming back.

According to some, we've been in a death spiral since 2003. How many times have we been told "the Wings are too old," "too slow," "too European," "too soft." Every year it's been something new, every year we contend for the Cup. Bring it, ya old wind bag!

But when was the last time our team was doing this poorly? Eventually those people are going to be right.

Putting hatred and homerism aside, there is nothing outlandish in this statement. The Red Wings certainly have played a lot of hockey in five years and have older players nearing their time. We are seeing the results this season and it has to be addressed. HOWEVER, I'm betting the front office won't read this, drop the paper and slap their foreheads in a moment of epiphany. This season and the off season next year will show the capabilities of the Red Wing organization to build on what they have and rebuild what they need.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

He's just pissed still that he never won a cup. Nevermind Roy's two or three, these players he's on about have about 4 or 5 to plug their ears with. Stfu Roenick, ya clown.

A couple of thoughts here...

One, anyone who takes anything this guy says seriously is in dire need of psychiatric care.

Two, the Kings have hired this guy as a website consultant??? That's like hiring Britney Spears to teach a parenting class.

Three, in the words of Ron White, "The next time you get an idea - let it go."

As long as we make playoffs the Wings will be fine. It'll be a battle, but once we're in, we'll be in high gear and other teams better watch out. It always ends best for the Wings when everyone counts them out (see 07, 08).

Remember that big fall we were supposedly having when Stevie retired, Shanny left, we lost several key guys to the salary cap, younger guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't stepping it up in the clutch, the goaltending was in shambles, and teams around us were getting younger and more physical?

What happened a year after that?

Ok here's what I say. I agree that some of the older players such as Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Draper, and Maltby and a couple other players May be getting tired because yes we've played a lot of hockey these past few seasons. But that is why you have a draft and you have a minor league affliate to call up younger players. The truth of it is that the Wings are not going to win the Cup every season I still firmly believe they will be if not Cup contenders at least strong playoff contenders for a while. This season just isn't our season. Not saying that they can't turn it around an finish well and make the playoffs and possibly go deep into the playoffs. Wings are a great team and I think time will only tell what will happen. For years I use to love Roenick ever since the lock-out and his comments during it I've hated him. I say just let him talk. It' doesn't really mean a damn thing.

Ok here's what I say. I agree that some of the older players such as Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Draper, and Maltby and a couple other players May be getting tired because yes we've played a lot of hockey these past few seasons. But that is why you have a draft and you have a minor league affliate to call up younger players. The truth of it is that the Wings are not going to win the Cup every season I still firmly believe they will be if not Cup contenders at least strong playoff contenders for a while. This season just isn't our season. Not saying that they can't turn it around an finish well and make the playoffs and possibly go deep into the playoffs. Wings are a great team and I think time will only tell what will happen. For years I use to love Roenick ever since the lock-out and his comments during it I've hated him. I say just let him talk. It' doesn't really mean a damn thing.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

But when was the last time our team was doing this poorly? Eventually those people are going to be right.

Eventually the world is going to come to an end, but I don't listen to someone when they tell me it'll be tomorrow. It's all about the playoffs, and this team is going to have sick depth.

Forwards (games missed) - (Prorated points missed during injury) (Prorated +/-):

Zetterberg 7 games - ~7 pts (3 g) +2

Franzen 38 games - ~32 pts (18 g) +12

Cleary 11 games - ~6 pts (2 g) 0

Williams 26 games - ~15 pts (7 g) -1

Flippula 28 games - ~14 pts (5 g) +1

Total: 110 man-games missed, estimated 80 points (with 35 goals) lost and a +14.

The guys they were replaced with (I included Miller, Abdelkader, Newbury, Ritola, and Leino, totaling 108 man-games):

12 goals, 21 points, and a cumulative -8.

Defensemen

Kronwall 22 games - ~14 pts (2 g) +2

Ericsson 12 games - ~4 pts (1 g) -2

Total: 34 man-games missed, estimated 18 points (with 3 goals) lost, and a neutral +/-.

The stats for the guys they were replaced with (I included Kindl, Janik, and Meech, totaling 35 man-games):

1 goal, 3 points, and a cumulative -7.

In summary, just by being healthy, we would have probably netted around 25 more goals, 66 more points, and the cumulative +/- would be about 29 points higher. Those 25 goals would change our GS/GA split to +29, and that's before correcting for the increased defense, reducing our GA. Our team +/- would go from +2 to +31, which puts us only 2 below Chicago. I used numbers based on last year, which doesn't compensate for players stepping up their game (Flippula, Ericsson) or having better teammates (Williams). I'd say it's a safe bet that in the alternate universe where this team is healthy, they're competing in, if not actually winning, the President's Cup race.

Is Lidstrom going to be hard to replace eventually? Undoubtedly. That doesn't mean that it will be impossible, though. It's really going to suck having a 38 year old Rafalski sucking 6 million in cap space in 2012, but when that comes off the books there will be ample money to sign an elite defenseman or a new supporting cast to a solid Kindl-Ericsson-Kronwall-Stuart core. And how many years are we removed from finding a 7th round superstar in the draft? I'm not saying that it's a yearly occurrence, but when lightening strikes the same place 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row, you start thinking it has less to do with luck and more with good scouting.

So... Roenick can shove it.

. We are seeing the results this season and it has to be addressed.

The Wings are battling for a playoff spot because of their laundry list of injuries, not cause Nick Lidstrom and co are in their upper 30's....