• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Putting hatred and homerism aside, there is nothing outlandish in this statement. The Red Wings certainly have played a lot of hockey in five years and have older players nearing their time. We are seeing the results this season and it has to be addressed. HOWEVER, I'm betting the front office won't read this, drop the paper and slap their foreheads in a moment of epiphany. This season and the off season next year will show the capabilities of the Red Wing organization to build on what they have and rebuild what they need.

#42 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

It was pretty funny today. I was at the Kings and Caps game today and they announced how JR would be partaking in the charity event after and everyone started booing haha.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#43 ZetterbergFourty

ZetterbergFourty

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

He's just pissed still that he never won a cup. Nevermind Roy's two or three, these players he's on about have about 4 or 5 to plug their ears with. Stfu Roenick, ya clown.
"When we've got the puck, they can't score." - Paul Coffey

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out!" - Rodney Dangerfield

"Get used to this phrase: how could both referees have missed that?" - Mike Brophy

#44 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

A couple of thoughts here...

One, anyone who takes anything this guy says seriously is in dire need of psychiatric care.

Two, the Kings have hired this guy as a website consultant??? That's like hiring Britney Spears to teach a parenting class.

Three, in the words of Ron White, "The next time you get an idea - let it go."
Posted Image

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

As long as we make playoffs the Wings will be fine. It'll be a battle, but once we're in, we'll be in high gear and other teams better watch out. It always ends best for the Wings when everyone counts them out (see 07, 08).
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Remember that big fall we were supposedly having when Stevie retired, Shanny left, we lost several key guys to the salary cap, younger guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't stepping it up in the clutch, the goaltending was in shambles, and teams around us were getting younger and more physical?

What happened a year after that?
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#47 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Ok here's what I say. I agree that some of the older players such as Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Draper, and Maltby and a couple other players May be getting tired because yes we've played a lot of hockey these past few seasons. But that is why you have a draft and you have a minor league affliate to call up younger players. The truth of it is that the Wings are not going to win the Cup every season I still firmly believe they will be if not Cup contenders at least strong playoff contenders for a while. This season just isn't our season. Not saying that they can't turn it around an finish well and make the playoffs and possibly go deep into the playoffs. Wings are a great team and I think time will only tell what will happen. For years I use to love Roenick ever since the lock-out and his comments during it I've hated him. I say just let him talk. It' doesn't really mean a damn thing.

#48 zombiewing

zombiewing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Dimaline312000 @ January 3, 2010 - 06:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok here's what I say. I agree that some of the older players such as Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Draper, and Maltby and a couple other players May be getting tired because yes we've played a lot of hockey these past few seasons. But that is why you have a draft and you have a minor league affliate to call up younger players. The truth of it is that the Wings are not going to win the Cup every season I still firmly believe they will be if not Cup contenders at least strong playoff contenders for a while. This season just isn't our season. Not saying that they can't turn it around an finish well and make the playoffs and possibly go deep into the playoffs. Wings are a great team and I think time will only tell what will happen. For years I use to love Roenick ever since the lock-out and his comments during it I've hated him. I say just let him talk. It' doesn't really mean a damn thing.

"Helm goes in quick...that's redundant..."

Ken kal 1.16.09

#49 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (Tommy_Like_Wingy @ January 2, 2010 - 05:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But when was the last time our team was doing this poorly? Eventually those people are going to be right.

Eventually the world is going to come to an end, but I don't listen to someone when they tell me it'll be tomorrow. It's all about the playoffs, and this team is going to have sick depth.

Forwards (games missed) - (Prorated points missed during injury) (Prorated +/-):
Zetterberg 7 games - ~7 pts (3 g) +2
Franzen 38 games - ~32 pts (18 g) +12
Cleary 11 games - ~6 pts (2 g) 0
Williams 26 games - ~15 pts (7 g) -1
Flippula 28 games - ~14 pts (5 g) +1
Total: 110 man-games missed, estimated 80 points (with 35 goals) lost and a +14.

The guys they were replaced with (I included Miller, Abdelkader, Newbury, Ritola, and Leino, totaling 108 man-games):
12 goals, 21 points, and a cumulative -8.

Defensemen
Kronwall 22 games - ~14 pts (2 g) +2
Ericsson 12 games - ~4 pts (1 g) -2
Total: 34 man-games missed, estimated 18 points (with 3 goals) lost, and a neutral +/-.

The stats for the guys they were replaced with (I included Kindl, Janik, and Meech, totaling 35 man-games):
1 goal, 3 points, and a cumulative -7.

In summary, just by being healthy, we would have probably netted around 25 more goals, 66 more points, and the cumulative +/- would be about 29 points higher. Those 25 goals would change our GS/GA split to +29, and that's before correcting for the increased defense, reducing our GA. Our team +/- would go from +2 to +31, which puts us only 2 below Chicago. I used numbers based on last year, which doesn't compensate for players stepping up their game (Flippula, Ericsson) or having better teammates (Williams). I'd say it's a safe bet that in the alternate universe where this team is healthy, they're competing in, if not actually winning, the President's Cup race.

Is Lidstrom going to be hard to replace eventually? Undoubtedly. That doesn't mean that it will be impossible, though. It's really going to suck having a 38 year old Rafalski sucking 6 million in cap space in 2012, but when that comes off the books there will be ample money to sign an elite defenseman or a new supporting cast to a solid Kindl-Ericsson-Kronwall-Stuart core. And how many years are we removed from finding a 7th round superstar in the draft? I'm not saying that it's a yearly occurrence, but when lightening strikes the same place 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row, you start thinking it has less to do with luck and more with good scouting.

So... Roenick can shove it.

#50 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (Stiffy @ January 2, 2010 - 11:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. We are seeing the results this season and it has to be addressed.

The Wings are battling for a playoff spot because of their laundry list of injuries, not cause Nick Lidstrom and co are in their upper 30's....

#51 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:52 AM

If this year is our downfall, then that is just more proof that our organization is the best in sports. Our team is managing to win games and stay in playoff contention with a team full of AHL-ers who were never meant to be playing consistently in the NHL this year and yet some are even on the second line. Put almost any other team in this position for this season as long as we have been this year and I guarantee they would be doing a lot worse.

Posted Image

#52 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (kylee @ January 4, 2010 - 04:44AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wings are battling for a playoff spot because of their laundry list of injuries, not cause Nick Lidstrom and co are in their upper 30's....

Ingnore reality if you like or did you forget Jimmy D himself stating the Wings would have to battle to make the playoff's this year BEFORE the rash of injuries. To not see this team as being seriously challenged this year is to live with your head in the sand. God, I never expected so many RedWing fans to be such homers. Acknowledging reality doesn't make you less of a fan, that is unless you are 12.

#53 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Stiffy @ January 4, 2010 - 12:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ingnore reality if you like or did you forget Jimmy D himself stating the Wings would have to battle to make the playoff's this year BEFORE the rash of injuries. To not see this team as being seriously challenged this year is to live with your head in the sand. God, I never expected so many RedWing fans to be such homers. Acknowledging reality doesn't make you less of a fan, that is unless you are 12.

I don't know, over 170 man games lost says a lot when a team has only played 41 games. Granted, there were definitely a number a games, injured or not, where I was banging my head against the TV because it looked like those who were healthy forgot how to play. In any event, we're only 3 points out of a playoff spot which all things considered is nothing short of amazing. The boys have started to realize this year isn't about coasting to a top seed but actually giving 100% every night, which gives me much hope when our core returns.

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ January 1, 2010 - 10:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeremy might be right, but personally I don't care that he says it any more than a poster here -- Jeremy is just a talking head and at this point his MO is getting in the headlines so he can continue making money post-retirement. Anyhow, eventually those deep playoff runs can take a toll on a team, and it's possible it's why the Wings have so many injury problems, with some bad luck or merely it exclusively being bad luck. It's a tough season for Wings fans, but even then there's still lots of promise this season. This team needed a little adversity instead of coasting into yet another Central division win and 1-3 seed.

well said. and it's a good thing as a wings fan to know that it's only up from here with all the guys lost in the offseason. 10th place at midseason isn't that bad, especially with all the injuries this year. what happens when franzen comes back and goes on one of his ridiculous point streaks?? having him back will help exponentially and if he's on a line with dats and the lately hot bertuzzi, good things can come from it.

and just to remind everyone...wings won without hossa and lost with him and the same line-up the very next year.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#55 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Roenick has always said stupid s***. Him and Chelios were the kings of it back in the day. Why would his opinion all the sudden mean something?

#56 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Stiffy @ January 4, 2010 - 12:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think people read much to deeply into the Delvano quote. What do you expect him to say, "We're the best there ever was?" The reality of it was that we'd finish in the top 2 in the Central and probably be seeded somewhere between 2-5, not anticipating half of opening night's roster to be on IR.

And yes, this team is seriously challenged, I doubt anyone would question that. But what's challenging them is not their lack of skill up and down the roster, it's their lack of skill game to game. We've had 7 guys out there on a nightly basis who shouldn't even be sniffing the NHL this year, and that has nothing to do with the team that we came into the season with. If anything, the homers around here are the one who predicted the fall because we lost Sammy, Huds, and Hossa, and didn't think that Williams and Bertuzzi were significant players.

#57 Happy Pancake

Happy Pancake

Courage Wolf Inspires Howie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Waiting until halfway through the season to make this claim sure is a bold move there Jeremy.

Go away now. rolleyes.gif

#58 TigerDan

TigerDan

Goon

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:28 AM

So, sorry to drag this topic out of the garbage, but I felt I needed to.

I watched today's Detroit-Chicago game ans saw Roenick actually agreeing that the Wings got screwed on the shootout goal in Dallas.
Later, I had to catch a flight to Ontario, CA through Phoenix (I fly every week for work). Low and behold, who's sitting in front of me? JR.
I was going to leave him alone, but funny thing happens, JRs sitting next to a wanna-be cougar chatty kathy. At one point he turns around and says something about the food to me and the guy sitting next to me. I took the opportunity to tell him he called it right on the air today and the NHL was wrong. He then says to me "The Wings keep getting screwed over in Dallas, they had that May goal wiped out a while back and that was a horrible deal too." I told him it seems to me like the feeling around the league is "the Wings have had their run and it's time for US to move on without them", or something along those lines. He then says, "you're right, but they shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because of it". I say it's just not right and he agrees.

I ended up talking to the guy quite a bit and did a shot with him for his 40th birthday......not a bad flight.

To me, he just seems like a guy that talks alot and whatever's on his mind comes out. So, obviously the controversial stuff is easy to find with him. JMHO.

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season. What with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him? Whhelll, I guess that's more than most 21 year olds could handle."

#59 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (TigerDan @ January 18, 2010 - 03:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, sorry to drag this topic out of the garbage, but I felt I needed to.

I watched today's Detroit-Chicago game ans saw Roenick actually agreeing that the Wings got screwed on the shootout goal in Dallas.
Later, I had to catch a flight to Ontario, CA through Phoenix (I fly every week for work). Low and behold, who's sitting in front of me? JR.
I was going to leave him alone, but funny thing happens, JRs sitting next to a wanna-be cougar chatty kathy. At one point he turns around and says something about the food to me and the guy sitting next to me. I took the opportunity to tell him he called it right on the air today and the NHL was wrong. He then says to me "The Wings keep getting screwed over in Dallas, they had that May goal wiped out a while back and that was a horrible deal too." I told him it seems to me like the feeling around the league is "the Wings have had their run and it's time for US to move on without them", or something along those lines. He then says, "you're right, but they shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because of it". I say it's just not right and he agrees.

I ended up talking to the guy quite a bit and did a shot with him for his 40th birthday......not a bad flight.

To me, he just seems like a guy that talks alot and whatever's on his mind comes out. So, obviously the controversial stuff is easy to find with him. JMHO.

Great story! Thanks for putting it on here. I think you're right. Often he shoots his mouth off and then later (hopefully) thinks about what he said.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#60 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

Gained some respect for JR there. He can obviously see that something's awry in the league's treatment of the Wings.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!