• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rivalred

Boyd Devereaux or Ville Leino

Rate this topic

I do not see much of a difference when comparing both

Aside from the fact you are comparing a player that has completed his tour of duty with the Wings and the other is just starting. Not enough data on Leino yet to make that assessment.

Personally, I wasn't disappointed with Boyd. As GMR mentioned, he had a solid playoffs in 02. I'm not disappointed in Leino because I didn't expect him to net 20+ goals, unlike many posters here. Ville is playing worse than I expected, amazingly, but I'm still not disappointed. Maybe if he had signed a long term contract I would feel different.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... Seriously? We're really comparing Devereaux's stinker of an NHL career to Leino?

Something of note: DEVEREAUX WAS TAKEN 6TH OVERALL... and never scored more than 9 goals or 27 points (and he played full seasons to get to those impressive figures).... Boyd's career numbers: a stunning 0.28 ppg... even though Leino is struggling massively, he's STILL above that ppg total (0.32).....

I really don't know how a 6th overall bust who's career is over can be compared to an undrafted guy who's best years are ahead of him... come on....

Wow, I did not know that he was drafted 6th overall! Thank you for that (sincere thanks), that is amazing. God, I actually learned something on LGW today. You are dead on - this makes the comparison absurd. Hey, I know it was only one game, but for Ville to come off a benching and score was, I thought, a good sign the kid knows what he has to do. I see shades of Hudler in how Babs is dealing with him - the whole tough love thing. Honestly, I think a few more could use it.

Guest lnvincible

this thread is garbo.Get your head outta your ass. first you hate bertuzzi then you love him, same old same old. lol ***.

Couple of things here.

#1 Leino was a 24 year old undrafted free agent last year. He had a great year in the AHL, and good camps, thus I think we expected too much out of him in general.

#2 Ville is starting to turn it aroung a bit. GWG last game.

#3 Give the guy more than 1/2 a season before comparing him to Boyd Deveraux...Deveraux played 4 seasons with the team...Leino has played half a year...Devereaux also had 2 seasons NHL experience before coming to Detroit...Leino has 1 season of North American experience...

#4 Stacy Roest was much more disappointing to me then Devereaux, I never expected anything out of Devereaux. Roest was a Juniors STUD that performed quite well in Adirondak and never cut it with the Wings...

#5 Leino was only really a dominant player in Finland once...every other year he was less than a point per game player.

Long Story Short...

Personally I always thought Devereaux was Boyd the Void...

Leino still has time to show me something. He probably won't be the second liner I thought he would but I could see him as a 15-20 goal player as soon as next year. Now that he has his confidence back a bit I think he could start to produce more. I expect him to finish the year with 30 points if he can turn his play around.

Don't give up on Leino so early in his career. Give him a shot before condemming him to Boyd the Void status.

Expectations of him to come in and replace Hudler and win Rookie of the Year were to high. A solid 3rd liner with 40-50 points a season are not.

Best post I've seen in a very long time.

Thank you.

this thread is garbo.Get your head outta your ass. first you hate bertuzzi then you love him, same old same old. lol ***.

Whilst you're in here throwing about personal insults and not really backing up any of your points (not that Ive seen you make any) Im still waiting for a reply in this thread: http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...c=62221&hl=

If you could do that, that would be great. LOL :rolleyes:

btw deveraux will not play any game in this season, he got hurt at the spengler cup!

Ahhhhhh! The heralded Spengler Cup. Much respect.

Just being stupid, don't go getting all pissy.

Edited by Marty Barry

Guest Random
Ahhhhhh! The heralded Spengler Cup. Much respect.

Just being stupid, don't go getting all pissy.

egon.gif

Edited by Random

Who are you referencing to? I liked the fact Bert was here and I even welcomed him back with a "Bert and Ernie" avatar and a "welcome back bert"

Seems like you do not even know what your talking about, so maybe you need to pull your head out.

I havnt read the whole thread, with that being said, Leino had MUCH bigger expectations coming in and basically told the red wings he was a scorer and wouldnt play in GR. Boyd seemed to play whatever role was given to him here and when he moved to Toronto. He was a 20 goal scorer in the OHL so what did you expect from him? He had a good year with dats and hull but who wouldnt! Oh wait...Leino pry wouldnt. :)

#4 Stacy Roest was much more disappointing to me then Devereaux, I never expected anything out of Devereaux. Roest was a Juniors STUD that performed quite well in Adirondak and never cut it with the Wings...

This is definitely on. Roest was perhaps the best young grinder and also the biggest disappointment that the Wings have had in a long time. He was ridiculously fast and great on faceoffs, but for some reason his offensive dominance at lower levels simply didn't translate over to the NHL. He was still solid defensively and made for a good PKer, and was effective when asked to perform offensively, but never managed to earn a spot with a team's top forwards. He did have 50-point type of scoring in his second season in terms of points-per-minute, if you were to adjust it to a first-liner's time.

Roest has been dominating the Swiss league the past six years with Rapperswil-Jona.