• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rivalred

Boyd Devereaux or Ville Leino

Rate this topic

Devereaux was never gushed over as a potential 2nd line player. He played with Hull and did OK in the role of forechecker for the Hull-Datsyuk line.

Ville, however, hasn't had a full season to get used to the tempo of the game and really hasn't had the opportunity to be a secondary scorer. With all the injuries, we are looking at the healthy players that are not scoring a little too hard.

btw deveraux will not play any game in this season, he got hurt at the spengler cup!

There are commonalities in your post (1) Boyd seemed to always be injured and (2) he really never played when he was playing in my eyes

"Was" more dissapointing? I didn't know Leino had already left Detroit.

Deveraux was awesome in the 2002 playoffs. Datsyuk and Hull made all the pretty one timer plays, but Boyd was the one who fought for all the loose pucks and did the dirty work on that line.

As of now, Deveraux had a better career in Detroit because of that 2002 Cup. Too soon to make threads like these, though.

Also, no one ever raved about Deveraux's skill, so once again the comparison is poor. Expectations were higher for Leino.

Edited by GMRwings1983

There are commonalities in your post (1) Boyd seemed to always be injured and (2) he really never played when he was playing in my eyes

ok, you got me there ;) in case anyone cares, he took a headshot and broke a cervical vertebra. he can continue his career after this season.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Expectations were higher for Leino.

Expectations ARE higher for Leino.

"Was" more dissapointing? I didn't know Leino had already left Detroit.

Deveraux was awesome in the 2002 playoffs. Datsyuk and Hull made all the pretty one timer plays, but Boyd was the one who fought for all the loose pucks and did the dirty work on that line.

As of now, Deveraux had a better career in Detroit because of that 2002 Cup. Too soon to make threads like these, though.

Also, no one ever raved about Deveraux's skill, so once again the comparison is poor. Expectations were higher for Leino.

I do wish Leino was not on this team, there are other players who actually work harder and have less skill.

Boyd was drafted 6th overall and was raved over at one time. Also, he won a gold medal @ the World Juniors in 97.

I do wish Leino was not on this team, there are other players who actually work harder and have less skill.

Boyd was drafted 6th overall and was raved over at one time. Also, he won a gold medal @ the World Juniors in 97.

He wasn't drafted by Detroit, though.

I doubt anybody on LGW had big expectations for Deveraux when he was acquired. If we sign Alexandre Daigle tomorrow, no one here will be overjoyed.

Edited by GMRwings1983

He wasn't drafted by Detroit, though.

I doubt anybody on LGW had big expectations for Deveraux when he was acquired.

He was still drafted by an NHL team, unless you think other teams do not know how to draft when comparing how the Wings draft

I expected a lot more out of Boyd, yet look at the end result.

Deveraux is doing pretty well in the swiss league, unfortunately he got hurt during a game, he will be out at least 2 month. As a wings fan and Swiss, it's nice to see him playing in the swiss league :rolleyes:

In my opinion Leino is a good addidion (especiallly for the next years), he is joung and as a consequence not consistent, but he will grow up and he will do well.

Leino will turn it around, hes just simply too good to stay at this level...having Filppula back will hopefully give him that boost he needs

So are you saying that Leino is only effective when he is on a line with a playing center capable of passing? Please, expand a little

Leino will turn it around, hes just simply too good to stay at this level...having Filppula back will hopefully give him that boost he needs

Hmmm.....I'm not sure it's about skill level with Ville. Alexei Yashin was very skilled, too. Still is, I guess.....

Takes more than skill. There are more important things than skill. Much more important.

Couple of things here.

#1 Leino was a 24 year old undrafted free agent last year. He had a great year in the AHL, and good camps, thus I think we expected too much out of him in general.

#2 Ville is starting to turn it aroung a bit. GWG last game.

#3 Give the guy more than 1/2 a season before comparing him to Boyd Deveraux...Deveraux played 4 seasons with the team...Leino has played half a year...Devereaux also had 2 seasons NHL experience before coming to Detroit...Leino has 1 season of North American experience...

#4 Stacy Roest was much more disappointing to me then Devereaux, I never expected anything out of Devereaux. Roest was a Juniors STUD that performed quite well in Adirondak and never cut it with the Wings...

#5 Leino was only really a dominant player in Finland once...every other year he was less than a point per game player.

Long Story Short...

Personally I always thought Devereaux was Boyd the Void...

Leino still has time to show me something. He probably won't be the second liner I thought he would but I could see him as a 15-20 goal player as soon as next year. Now that he has his confidence back a bit I think he could start to produce more. I expect him to finish the year with 30 points if he can turn his play around.

Don't give up on Leino so early in his career. Give him a shot before condemming him to Boyd the Void status.

Expectations of him to come in and replace Hudler and win Rookie of the Year were to high. A solid 3rd liner with 40-50 points a season are not.

Ohh... what would Ovechkin be without his center then?

That's an endless discussion.

AO, Crosby, and Malkin are still effecitve by themselves. As for Leino, different story. And it is not an endless discussion as Leino can not be compared to AO in any fashion.

Hmm... I remember Babcock saying something about that line being our best in the early season.

Part of that was how hard all 3 were playing. When Fil and J-Dubs went down Ville seemed to lose his confidence and looked lost and the drivve disappeared. He played really hard last game, and that goal could snap him out of his funk. He had been reluctant to dig in corners and go low like Babs had been telling him. After the game he said "I did things Babs said I should. I got deep like he wants me to."

He took the coaches advice, played well and got results. If he keeps playing Babcock style hockey and keeps going to the net he will turn it around.

What a stupid, premature thread. Leino's not even done his rookie season and you're comparing him to a guy who couldn't make himself stick in Detroit and went to another team.

:rolleyes:

By all means-- give up on Leino. He's on pace for a better rookie season than Filppula and that guy ended up being pretty useful.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... Seriously? We're really comparing Devereaux's stinker of an NHL career to Leino?

Something of note: DEVEREAUX WAS TAKEN 6TH OVERALL... and never scored more than 9 goals or 27 points (and he played full seasons to get to those impressive figures).... Boyd's career numbers: a stunning 0.28 ppg... even though Leino is struggling massively, he's STILL above that ppg total (0.32).....

I really don't know how a 6th overall bust who's career is over can be compared to an undrafted guy who's best years are ahead of him... come on....