• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Y Datsyuk

Our 3rd and 4th lines

Rate this topic

When our lines start to shape up over the next few months (assuming Franzen returns in March), they could look something like this:

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franz - Filp - Cleary

Bert - Helm - Eaves

Abs - Drapes - Miller

I think our 3rd and 4th lines could be the difference maker against a team like Chicago or San Jose.

Thoughts?

When our lines start to shape up over the next few months (assuming Franzen returns in March), they could look something like this:

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franz - Filp - Cleary

Bert - Helm - Eaves

Abs - Drapes - Miller

I think our 3rd and 4th lines could be the difference maker against a team like Chicago or San Jose.

Exactly. With all the ice time (experience) they are getting right now, we could very well have a huge leg up on the competition. As stated before on other threads, I really think that this season's injuries could be a blessing in disguise. Only if we make the playoffs though.

Thoughts?

What the Hell did I do? That's a weird looking post.

Edited by Marty Barry

I don't think Abby will be staying up. Also, Bertuzzi seems to have great difficulty establishing chemistry with other players, so I'd be hesitant to break up him Dats and Homer. They're finally looking good out there. I expect Babs to roll with something similar to this, although God knows it will change up on a regular basis:

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Franzen Zetterberg Williams

Cleary Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

Edited by Echolalia

I don't think Abby will be staying up. Also, Bertuzzi seems to have great difficulty establishing chemistry with other players, so I'd be hesitant to break up him Dats and Homer. They're finally looking good out there. I expect Babs to roll with something similar to this, although God knows it will change up on a regular basis:

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Cleary Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

Close but Williams will be with Filppula and Cleary will be on Z's line.

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Franzen Zetterberg Cleary

Williams Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

Leino will be in rotation with other players. Babs might put him on the 2nd line with Z in some cases and if he doesn't perform he'll be a healthy scratch for someone else. Sad to see Miller on that list. He's been great for us.

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Cleary Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

Echolalia:

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Cleary Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

Those look like good lines to me too.

Echolalia.

Bertuzzi Dats Homer

Cleary Filpulla Leino

Draper Helm Eaves

or 1st could be

Bert Dats Mule

we could call it the twin towers line

Leino or Miller will be on that 3rd line with Filppula and Williams. Leino has a contract for next year as well, so I think he has the edge.

Abdelkader will definitely go down to play those big minutes there, as he doesn't develop being a 4th liner here.

On of May, Maltby, Meech and Lebda will be gone. Probably May so we'll have Maltby, Meech/Lebda and Miller/Leino ready as healthy scratches.

edit: That leaves us with:

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Leino/Miller-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

+ Maltby, Miller/Leino

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson-Lebda/Meech

+ Meech/Lebda

I'd like to see Kronwall with Lidstrom and Stuart with Rafalski to get more balanced top4 on the defense. I assume Lilja won't be playing.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franz - Filp - Cleary

Bert - Helm - Eaves

Abs - Drapes - Miller

Thoughts?

I see where you're going with those lines. However, I would like to see Filp center Franzen and Bertuzzi. It may turn out to be total vanilla, or it may turn into something very difficult as hell to play against. I'm curious and want to see it.

And I like the thought of Clears teamed up with The Nightmare on Helm St and All Hallows Eaves, that would be a scary line to play against and could provide some clutch secondary (tertiary?) scoring.

The Wings are hanging in there despite the redonkulous amount of serious injuries and off season losses. Hopefully the returning guys will get their mid season legs quickly and provide a big spark to get into the playoffs and begin playing their best hockey right at playoff time.

Williams-Filppula-Miller/Leino

Eaves-Helm-Draper/Maltby/May

Miller was fantastic for the Ducks in the playoffs last year, and unless Leino consistently works hard (he was Mr Invisable again last night) I cant justify Babs playing him over Miller.

Miller was fantastic for the Ducks in the playoffs last year, and unless Leino consistently works hard (he was Mr Invisable again last night) I cant justify Babs playing him over Miller.

This posts says Wings have a lot of 3rd and 4th line depth. Not to mention Ritola will be a full time NHL player soon (he's been great) and Abby will be in the NHL next year, players will need to be moved. Good problem to have but I can't decide what Holland should do. That might be a new topic, but I've been trying to think of what Holland should do with all this depth we have.

Looking at your lines, Wings have two 1st lines a 2nd line and a 3rd line.

This posts says Wings have a lot of 3rd and 4th line depth. Not to mention Ritola will be a full time NHL player soon (he's been great) and Abby will be in the NHL next year, players will need to be moved. Good problem to have but I can't decide what Holland should do. That might be a new topic, but I've been trying to think of what Holland should do with all this depth we have.

Looking at your lines, Wings have two 1st lines a 2nd line and a 3rd line.

Like you said though, it's a good problem to have. Especially considering coming in everyone thought we'd have no depth. We ever get healthy we're going to give teams alot of problems.

As far as the players good, as good as Homer and Malts have been this year I gotta believe there close to the end, and Ive liked him in his short stint so far but unless J-Will comes back and starts contributing he might be moved on.

in my opinion Miller MUST stay on this team once everyone is healthy...unless Leino comes alive...

Abdelkater will sadly be sent down I think...but will have a permanent spot on the roster next season...

Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Zetterberg, Cleary

Williams, Filppula, Miller/Leino

Helm, Draper, Eaves/Maltby/May/Miller/Leino

and I am much more comforatable with Meech in our lineup than Lebda...but would also love to see more of Kindl or Janik

Lidstrom, Rafalski

Kronwall, Stuart

Ericcson, Janik/Meech/Kindl/Lebda

God Lebda stresses me out...

Edited by robb himself

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

This.

Don't separate Bert and Pav... Have you noticed that they have established an awesome chemistry in these past few weeks? Why would you put them on different lines... >_>

Like you said though, it's a good problem to have. Especially considering coming in everyone thought we'd have no depth. We ever get healthy we're going to give teams alot of problems.

As far as the players good, as good as Homer and Malts have been this year I gotta believe there close to the end, and Ive liked him in his short stint so far but unless J-Will comes back and starts contributing he might be moved on.

I agree with the main parts of the two statements above, and I feel we could have three different sets of lines based on each notion.

With Leino and Williams:

Williams-Filppula-Leino

Without Leino:

Williams-Filppula-Miller

Without Leino and Williams:

Franzen-Zetterberg/Filppula (Let them decide who plays center)

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Draper-Abdelkader-Miller/Maltby/May

Overall, I don't see the need for Babs to not make Leino a healthy scratch when he is not contributing at all, even if we are still taking a hit with his salary. For me, it costs more to have him on the ice producing less than it would to have him sit and have someone else in his place taking full advantage of the opportunity (i.e. Miller, who has shown more in his short time here so far). As for Williams, yes, he was good at the beginning of the season, but I feel he is expendable because the chemistry our current lines have is better as is without the addition of Williams and the readjustment necessary for him to gel with whatever line he ends up on, and to tell the truth, his absence has not been really noticeable. And while I know in all likelihood Abdelkader will be sent back to GR, I would love to see him remain up here because he has been one of the few guys to really show how hard he is working his ass off to make the most of the opportunity given to him while others are injured, and he makes his presence known on the ice each night.

A lot of you have Dats, Z, Filp, and Helm as your 4 centers but I think Helm is way more valuable on that 3rd line. Filp is more than capable of handling the 2nd line.

Maybe something like this:

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franzen - Filp - Bert

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Leino/Miller - Drapes - Williams

Before I had Abs on the 4th line but if everyone is healthy, he will most likely be sent down unfortunately...

A lot of you have Dats, Z, Filp, and Helm as your 4 centers but I think Helm is way more valuable on that 3rd line. Filp is more than capable of handling the 2nd line.

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franzen - Filp - Bert

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Before I had Abs on the 4th line but if everyone is healthy, he will most likely be sent down unfortunately...

Point is Dats and Zetterberg haven't been producing together, in fact it's a waste of talent having them together (based on this season). However, Bert-Dats-Holmer have been unstoppable now they have chemistry and you do not want to break that up.

Franzen-Z-Cleary is one of the most consistent lines in the NHL and have proven they can score at will. Again, you can't break that up.

Flip is a capable 2nd line center and would be on any other team in the NHL, but Detroit has too much depth and Flip on the 3rd makes for a dominating 1-2-3 punch. Now with Eaves-Helm-Draper, which is a strong 3rd line will probably be the most potent 4th line (with energy) in the entire NHL.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom

Franzen Filppula Bertuzzi

Is a much better top six than

Period. We have too much depth to NOT put Filppula in the top 6.

I disagree. In the First scenario, Bert no longer has Chemistry and goes back to being lazy. We haven't seen Franzen play with Fil much, so they could also have no chemistry.

The ZDH line is NO LONGER EFFECTIVE. Teams see them there, and they know how to defend. It dilutes our top 6 by having them on the same line, because their best defensive players only need to play that line and they don't have to worry as much about that second line.

Besides, Franzen,Z and Cleary are a GREAT line.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom

Franzen Filppula Bertuzzi

Is a much better top six than

Period. We have too much depth to NOT put Filppula in the top 6.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk do not produce enough together to keep them together. Apart, they give the team two outstanding centers and greater depth. Zetterberg, Franzen, and Cleary, is a great 1st/2nd line that has proven they can score points at clutch times. Datsyuk, Bertuzzi, and Homer is also a great 1st/2nd line who has proven they can score goals (3 last night). Filppula, Williams, and Miller/Leino makes for a dominant 3rd line. This leaves Draper, Eaves, and Helm to be the most dominant 4th line in the NHL imo. Splitting Z and D will give this team much more depth than your lines suggest.

Miller/Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Top 3 lineup in the NHL

Zberg - Dats - Holmer

Franzen - Filp - Bert

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Well, those centers rae pretty much the ones we have to go with.

You can't split up Datsyuk and Bertuzzi, for the reasons people have mentioned. You can't move Homer down because he's only effective with Datsyuk on the top line.

Therefore you can pick from Helm, Zetterberg, or Flip to center the second line. Clearly Zetterberg is the best option. Next is Flip (thus the third line) and then Helm. Yeah, it may make Helm less effective, but better to make him less effective than Zetterberg or Flip.