• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

KHL ruining the NHL?

Rate this topic

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but it seems the KHL is negatively impacting the NHL to some extent (take Hudler for example). Players have no problems going to the KHL for a bigger pay check, which might be Kovalchuk's intention if he doesn't get his $11.5 million/yr in the NHL.

I don't much about the KHL but I think in the next 20 years we're going to see either the NHL/KHL merge or a fall out. What are your thoughts about the KHL effecting the NHL?

If KHL keeps expanding into Scandinavia then the NHL might find some real problems. The top four countries selected from in the draft were USA, CAN, SWE, and FIN with a drastic decrease in RUS prospects. So if the KHL expands further into Scandinavia, then the NHL could revert back to pre 90's hockey where european players were scarce?

Guest Lidstromboli

man, what is the nhl going to do without the Alexei Yashins and Marcel Hossas of hockey

Yes the KHL is a major threat. The salary cap in the NHL is the reason exciting players like Jagr, Fedorov and others go to Russia. I've been saying for the last two years that the KHL will eventually rob the NHL of exciting European players. Get rid of the lame cap and the problem is solved. There will also be powerhouse rivalries again like in the 90's Avs vs Wings.

<...>I don't much about the KHL but I think in the next 20 years we're going to see either the NHL/KHL merge or a fall out. What are your thoughts about the KHL effecting the NHL?
20 year?! No one there has a clue what's going to happen with their economy, tax law, oil and natural gas prices in, say, two years, let along 20 years... So, do not worry, at worst salaries will be balanced and better league

will attract better talents.

As per threats, does name Gary Bettman ring the bell? He is a way bigger threat and as a threat he has two advantages: his is here - in North America, not half way across the globe, and he is today, not 20 years from now.

If KHL keeps expanding into Scandinavia then the NHL might find some real problems. The top four countries selected from in the draft were USA, CAN, SWE, and FIN with a drastic decrease in RUS prospects. So if the KHL expands further into Scandinavia, then the NHL could revert back to pre 90's hockey where european players were scarce?

Oh that would be great!!! Please please do well KHL, get rid of soft Euros!!

Guest micah

Out of all of the current threats to the NHL, the KHL ranks somewhere between mass scabies outbreak and Y2k.

Yes, are robbing "talent" like Jiri Hudler. Darn, I guess we'll have to watch North American players play instead.

I agree players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuck aren't half as entertaining as Crosby, Thornton, Richards and Lecavalier.

Yes the KHL is a major threat. The salary cap in the NHL is the reason exciting players like Jagr, Fedorov and others go to Russia. I've been saying for the last two years that the KHL will eventually rob the NHL of exciting European players. Get rid of the lame cap and the problem is solved. There will also be powerhouse rivalries again like in the 90's Avs vs Wings.

I didn't think Fedorov or Jagr were that exciting as they got older. Let the KHL take the old Europeans. Just like Florida, Arizona and Texas take Canada's and the northern states retirees. Let them make more money over there then they would here. They are taking up roster spots here. Most players want to play here. There will always be more money over here for stars.

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but it seems the KHL is negatively impacting the NHL to some extent (take Hudler for example). Players have no problems going to the KHL for a bigger pay check, which might be Kovalchuk's intention if he doesn't get his $11.5 million/yr in the NHL.

I don't much about the KHL but I think in the next 20 years we're going to see either the NHL/KHL merge or a fall out. What are your thoughts about the KHL effecting the NHL?

Well, I tried to have an intellectual discussion of this topic as it is an interesting one. Sorry M.Brew.

In reality, the KHL cannot compete with the NHL on a financial level. Maybe it can if the NHL continues to try and introduce (and keep) teams into non-hockey/sports markets, but in reality the US/Canada are much wealthier countries than any that support the KHL.

The only reason that it might be close is because the NHL is 4th among sports in the US, where the KHL is probably 1st among it's constituents.

If push came to shove, the NHL would do away with the salary cap and bring players back that way, though I don't think it will come to that.

If push came to shove, the NHL would do away with the salary cap and bring players back that way, though I don't think it will come to that.

That is a great point and is why competition in any aspect is good for the product. No matter what the product is.

Guest micah
Or maybe players actually want to play in near their home countries. NHL wouldn't be much without European players.

The NHL has already been much without European players, or at least without many, I don't know why you think it couldn't again.

I didn't think Fedorov or Jagr were that exciting as they got older. Let the KHL take the old Europeans. Just like Florida, Arizona and Texas take Canada's and the northern states retirees. Let them make more money over there then they would here. They are taking up roster spots here. Most players want to play here. There will always be more money over here for stars.

Totally agreed. It seems to me that most of the older generation go back to the KHL. I am curious if they like living here better or in Europe, because if money is not an issue then what else is there?

For me it would be the weather, cause I am from Serbia, but that is just me.

Totally agreed. It seems to me that most of the older generation go back to the KHL. I am curious if they like living here better or in Europe, because if money is not an issue then what else is there?

For me it would be the weather, cause I am from Serbia, but that is just me.

Detroit (and the rest of the midwest) is probably about as close as you can come to Siberia while still being in the US.

I would think it would have a lot to do with family still living over there, and the obscene amounts of money they're getting offered.

Well said. But I also agree that if the KHL did start offering entry contracts to soon to be drafted players from the rest of Europe, the NHL would be drastically screwed. I can honestly say, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree, without a large percentage of European players, the NHL wouldn't be worth watching. Same goes for all sports really IMO. If you don't have the best players in the world, it's not worth watching. Which is the main reason I can't watch basketball, baseball or football.

Well said. But I also agree that if the KHL did start offering entry contracts to soon to be drafted players from the rest of Europe, the NHL would be drastically screwed. I can honestly say, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree, without a large percentage of European players, the NHL wouldn't be worth watching. Same goes for all sports really IMO. If you don't have the best players in the world, it's not worth watching. Which is the main reason I can't watch basketball, baseball or football.

Players who were never stars in the NHL are making the big money over seas. More then they could ever get in the NHL. Offering young players big money could work to keep them there but amazing talents like Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk seem to strive to be the best. If you don't play with the best you will never be the best. That kind of mindset makes me feel that they would never leave the NHL and hot young talents will want to make lots of money but play on the biggest stage in the world when it comes to hockey.

Russia and other countries definitely get screwed when it comes to losing players for little money(Russia doesn't get a dime). A billionaire came up with the idea of starting a new league(basically an upgrade to the old RSL) consisting of more teams including ex-soviet states. Making it seem more competitive by advertising the s*** out of it Medvedev lured in new talent. The talent he lured in was old or declining ex-NHLer's, career AHLer's and other players from other European clubs.

If the KHL ever comes close to rivaling the NHL, I think the end of the world won't be far behind.

Players who were never stars in the NHL are making the big money over seas. More then they could ever get in the NHL. Offering young players big money could work to keep them there but amazing talents like Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk seem to strive to be the best. If you don't play with the best you will never be the best. That kind of mindset makes me feel that they would never leave the NHL and hot young talents will want to make lots of money but play on the biggest stage in the world when it comes to hockey.

Russia and other countries definitely get screwed when it comes to losing players for little money(Russia doesn't get a dime). A billionaire came up with the idea of starting a new league(basically an upgrade to the old RSL) consisting of more teams including ex-soviet states. Making it seem more competitive by advertising the s*** out of it Medvedev lured in new talent. The talent he lured in was old or declining ex-NHLer's, career AHLer's and other players from other European clubs.

If the KHL ever comes close to rivaling the NHL, I think the end of the world won't be far behind.

That's an excellent point zettie.

If you don't play with the best you will never be the best. That kind of mindset makes me feel that they would never leave the NHL and hot young talents will want to make lots of money but play on the biggest stage in the world when it comes to hockey.

Right, but isn't the KHL capable of becoming 'better' than the NHL as far as competition goes? btw, is there any NA players in the KHL?