• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

Don Cherry pissed off

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

This whole thread boils down to Canadians providing excuses for losing.

This is no great innovation. Whenever a team loses, its fans make excuses because its easier to do that than to man up.

I don't give two flying f***s that a bunch of Canada's top players are in the NHL and couldn't play in this tournament. They're NHLers now, so stop complaining that you can't have your ******* cake and eat it too.

USA!

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I'd imagine that when you guys in the US Study World War 2, the main emphasis is on The US's involvement, and you're pretty much told the war was going on, and then US came in, swept up, whooped some ass and won the thing.

Sadly, WWII isn't really discussed all that much in our schools. At least that's what I remember. I did graduate from high school in 1995 though so maybe things have changed.

Anyway, I am an avid WWII buff. I'd be more than happy to discuss our role vs that of our bros. to the North.

In simple hockey terms, Canada would have been a 3rd line role player compared to the United States.

Here's 2 numbers for you 40,000+ and 400,000+

If you really want to get into this send me a private message.

Sadly, WWII isn't really discussed all that much in our schools. At least that's what I remember. I did graduate from high school in 1995 though so maybe things have changed.

Anyway, I am an avid WWII buff. I'd be more than happy to discuss our role vs that of our bros. to the North.

In simple hockey terms, Canada would have been a 3rd line role player compared to the United States.

Here's 2 numbers for you 40,000+ and 400,000+

If you really want to get into this send me a private message.

We must be reading different books with figures you just threw out there. You call your self a buff? The + is the only part of those figures that makes sense unless you are talking deaths.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
We must be reading different books with figures you just threw out there. You call your self a buff? The + is the only part of those figures that makes sense unless you are talking deaths.

YIPPEE!!! You get a brownie for the day. Of course I'm talking about deaths you simpleton.

It's a pretty stark contrast in figures. And quite frankly, one need not delve much deeper into the nuts and bolts of it when provided with such an astounding statistic such as that.

By all means, send me a private message and I will be happy to gloat over the far superior impact the US had on the Second World War in comparison to Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada. I got a Canada hat that I proudly wear whenver I don't wear my Wings hat. But if some ****** bag wants to even begin to compare the US and Canada's roles in WWII, ******* bring it!

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

I congratulate and thank you for your personal service in WWII, Gordie, Sid, Sid, Sid, Crosby, Crosby, Sid, Crosby and Crosby. You must have served near to where both of my grandfathers served.

I congratulate and thank you for your personal service in WWII, Gordie, Sid, Sid, Sid, Crosby, Crosby, Sid, Crosby and Crosby. You must have served near to where both of my grandfathers served.

He may be a little on the rude side. But he IS correct about WWII. In fact, he may have been a little too nice about his hockey metaphor of Canada being like a "3rd line role player" in comparison to the United States. Canada was more like a 4th line winger, or a 7th defenseman. I've been a WWII enthusiast for over a decade now. And I am well aware of Canada's involvement. And trust me, if Canada had decided to not participate, the outcome would have been the exact same. Not trying to brag or boast about the United States in the slightest, I'm just stating documented facts.

The Canadian army numbered in 1944 about half a million men, five-sixths of whom had volunteered for overseas service. Some of it formed most of the force that suffered disaster at Dieppe in the summer of 1942. Some fought alongside Americans and British in Sicily and Italy. But the main military effort of the Canadians began in June 1944 with the landing on the beaches of Normandy, and continued with the fight across France and into Germany

Canada did not receive a cent of lend-lease aid from us. Instead of receiving, she supplied it to the United Nations. The total at the end of 1944 was some 4 billion dollars, which is more dollars per capita than our lend-lease contribution. On the economic side, the war placed a more severe strain on Canadians than on us. The average Canadian citizen paid more taxes and, on the whole, was subject to more rigid controls. He knows what the war cost and, let us be frank, he knew it longer than we did.

From US written

http://www.historians.org/projects/giround...da/Canada_6.htm

As with World War 1, Canadians were not only considered expert and professional soldiers, they were feared by the Germans as an omen of impending attack. The Canadian forces were relied upon to provide defence on the high seas and over Britain, and to spearhead assaults for major battles. Once again Canadians had proved themselves on the battlefield and fought ferociously to win every battle they were engaged in. However because "The grim fact is that we prepare for war like precocious giants, and for peace like retarded pygmies"(Lester Bowles Pearson - Men `Zines) we should now try to avoid any other war at all costs because of technology involved today a new World war would destroy humanity.

- ©James McAllister

May 15 1998

Early in the war, Canada's commitment to the British-French forces in Europe was limited to one division because Canada's military deployment reached corps-level strength for the invasions in Italy in 1943, and Normandy in 1944. Over the course of the war, 1.1 million Canadians served in the army, navy, and air force. Of these more than 45,000 lost their lives and another 54,000 were wounded.[4] The suffering and the hardships of war affected many Canadians at home and abroad.

Your 40,000 number was canadian Deaths. We had over a million people in the war.

We were a Major part in taking back france and Going into Germany. US Came in when your government allowed Pearl Harbor to get attacked. The Attack on Pearl Harbor Was seen and warned about in plenty of time, not only from US radars, but also from the Australians. It was allowed so the government could show the American public that their country was under attack, and motivate people to get on board with the war and sign up, then later bomb the bejezus outta Japan.

There is also some conspiracy theorists that say the US had a hand in setting up the attack, and wanted an excuse to use their nukes and establish themselves as the Number 1 global Powerhouse. Who knows about that, but the fact is, the attacks were seen coming, and warned about, but allowed.

YIPPEE!!! You get a brownie for the day. Of course I'm talking about deaths you simpleton.

It's a pretty stark contrast in figures. And quite frankly, one need not delve much deeper into the nuts and bolts of it when provided with such an astounding statistic such as that.

By all means, send me a private message and I will be happy to gloat over the far superior impact the US had on the Second World War in comparison to Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada. I got a Canada hat that I proudly wear whenver I don't wear my Wings hat. But if some ****** bag wants to even begin to compare the US and Canada's roles in WWII, ******* bring it!

Thanks for the insults bud but you didn't specify what those numbers meant. Generally I look at stats like that and assume participation not deaths. I don't doubt at all that the Americans were a huge part of winning the war but we served our role and I'm really glad that my grandfathers role in the war is considered so meaningless to American WW2 buffs such as yourself. Thanks Chet.

I doubt there are that many American buffs that would actually admit that the Soviets were probably the final crushing blow in Europe. So while Americans fought alongside Brits Canadians, Aussies and other Allied countries the Soviets manage to beat back the Germans all by themselves and beat the rest of us to Normandy.