• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

Calder Trophy Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Stats are updated through games of Sunday, March 7, 2010.

It looks like it is becoming a two-man race between Jimmy Howard and Matt Duchene.

First star goes to Jimmy Howard who added three wins this week, but his GAA went up a bit (.09)this week and his save percentage went down a bit (.003).

Second star goes to Matt Duchene who added 3 points this week (1 goal & 1 assist was on the PP) and brought his rating on the plus side for the first time in a long time.

Third star goes to Niclas Bergfors who is finding some benefit playing with his new team. He added three goals.

Tavares again was a no-show this week, managing only one assist and his plus/minus declining again down to -19.

Myers added one point this week and his ice time is increasing even more.

Rask was in goal for one game and his GAA average also went up a bit (.07)

The stats are updated through Sunday, March 21st.

The number one star over the last 2 weeks is Tyler Myers. He has accumulated 9 points over that time and increased his rating 10 points going from +3 to +13. His ice team is increasing even more. Plus he gets a huge bonus point for dumping the puck over the glass allowing the Wings to defeat Buffalo on the ensuing power play in overtime on March 13th.....LOL.

The second star goes to Jimmy Howard. He has elevated the W‌ings into a playoff position going 4-1-1 over the last two weeks and lowering his GAA and making some unbelievable saves to keep his team in the game.

The third star goes to Bergfors. He accumulated 6 points over the last two weeks and is keeping Atlanta in playoff contention despite the loss of Kovalchuk.

Honorable mention goes to Rask. He is keeping Boston afloat with 3 wins over the last 2 weeks while Thomas is floundering. He has lowered his GAA to a league leading 2.08.

Duchene is finally slowing down. The long season I think is getting the best of him while he is getting more ice time. Over the last 2 weeks he had 2 goals against Vancouver in a loss but has had only 2 assists since then. Colorado seems to be slowing down along with Duchene as they are sinking in the standing but still should make the playoffs.

With NYI out of the playoff picture Tavares won't get much attention. He got 8 points over the last two weeks, but 5 of those were in one good game against Vancouver. He is still a minus 15.

I know it is awarded based only on regular season performance but I believe the "tiebreaker" will be how far each rookie helps him team go in the playoffs. But I don't know the date in which it is voted on.

When you rate Howie, Myers and Duchene based on how valuable they are to their teams final standing, I think you have to give it to Howie but the other two have also been very valuable.

Howie should be awarded the Calder Trophy just for the face wash on Crosby. LOL

Edited by Icesurfer

Stats will be updated after tomorrow's games.

Dan Pollard, host of "NHL on the Fly", said after the Nashville game and Howard's unbelievable performance, "He has to be the front runner for the Calder now".

I have to agree! His stats will be better than Mason's Calder Trophy win of last year.

The hockey writer from my local paper (London Free Press) chose Howard as his pick for Calder. This was last week before.. the subsequent wins and shutout tonight.

Stats have been updated through Sunday, March 28th.

This has been an interesting week to say the least. Howard gets the FIRST STAR, SECOND STAR & THIRD STAR of the week as no one else was even close.

Yes, Howie had a Calder Trophy winning week by far. With FOUR wins and his GAA plummeting (for this time of year anyway...LOL) from 2.32 to 2.24 and his SV% increasing to .926. Howard got a shutout against one of the other hottest teams since the Olympic Break. He continues to out-duel all the top goalies in the league. Howie has given his team a chance to jump 3 seeds in the playoff race.

Rask gets honorable mention for also getting a shutout, but he lost the other game he played.

Duchene managed 3 assists this week (2 on the PP) and the coaches have increased his ice time dramatically in an effort not to sink out of the playoff race. But Colorado is sinking fast as Duchene seems to be running out of gas.

Myers managed 2 assists this week and both were on the PP... not all that impressive as he went MINUS 2 for the week. Myers is benefiting from having a hot goalie to keep his team at the third seed. Howie is benefiting from Howie.... LOL... well, he does have his normal team intact.... but no one on the team is hotter than Howie!

Edited by Icesurfer

This years Calder race will be very close. Last year for example, everyone knew that Steve Mason had it in the bag once the all star break hit. Sure, Versteeg and Bobby Ryan had solid regular seasons, but neither of which could compare to Masons 10 shutouts, 1.7 goals against average, or 30 wins (not to mention leading the BJ's to their first playoff bid in franchise history).

This years race doesnt have an easily defined winner as mason was last season. Between the 5 canidates there will be 1 offensive nominee, 1 defensive nominee, and 1 goaltender nominee. The numbers for all canidates are impressive this year but there is no standout nominee. Here is how I see the final nominee decisions being made;

Goaltenders- Both Howard and Tukka Rask have similar numbers this year. Rask's save persentage may be better, but he hasnt played in as many games as Howie. Howie has had to be better on a more consistent basis, where as Rask goes 50/50 between the pipes with Thomas. Howie has carried the bigger load thus far this season.

Goaltending nominee- Jimmy Howard, Detroit Red Wings

Defensmen- This is by far the easiest decision or the 3 nominees. No question it will be Tyler Myers of the Sabers. Reason number one being that there really isnt much competition this year for rookie defensman. You have Michael Del Zoto and Matt Gillroy who both got off to good starts for the Rangers, but its pretty obvious when you look at their defensive struggles as a team that Gilroy and Del Zoto were scratched from contention months ago. Reason number two being that Myers is and absolute beast on the blue line this year. Put his six foot eight inch frame aside and just watch the way this kid can move north to south on the ice. His number are great (i think hes top 10 or 12 in defensive scoring this season last time i checked), and his coach, Lindy Ruff, has tons of confidence in him. It shows too, considering he plays more minutes than any other player on Buffalo's roster.

Defensive nominee- Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres

Offense- John Tavares had a lot of hype about him comming into the 09-10 season, having an outstanding junior career and being the number 1 draft pick. Averaging only around 0.5 points a game and the Isles currently out of playoff race, he hasnt lived up to his expectations. That said, i think the number 3 pick in last years draft, Matt Duchene, has outplayed tavares. The Aves got off to a great start this season after a losing season last year, which put them into last place in the western conference. They are now serious contenders for the playoffs, and Matt Duchene has been a big of this years success.

Offensive nominee- Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche

Calder Trophy predictions:

1st place- Tyler Myers

2nd place- Jimmy Howard

3rd place- Matt Duchene

Stats have been updated through Sunday, March 28th.

This has been an interesting week to say the least. Howard gets the FIRST STAR, SECOND STAR & THIRD STAR of the week as no one else was even close.

Yes, Howie had a Calder Trophy winning week by far. With FOUR wins and his GAA plummeting (for this time of year anyway...LOL) from 2.32 to 2.24 and his SV% increasing to .926. Howard got a shutout against one of the other hottest teams since the Olympic Break. He continues to out-duel all the top goalies in the league. Howie has given his team a chance to jump 3 seeds in the playoff race.

Rask gets honorable mention for also getting a shutout, but he lost the other game he played.

Duchene managed 3 assists this week (2 on the PP) and the coaches have increased his ice time dramatically in an effort not to sink out of the playoff race. But Colorado is sinking fast as Duchene seems to be running out of gas.

Myers managed 2 assists this week and both were on the PP... not all that impressive as he went MINUS 2 for the week. Myers is benefiting from having a hot goalie to keep his team at the third seed. Howie is benefiting from Howie.... LOL... well, he does have his normal team intact.... but no one on the team is hotter than Howie!

:thumbup:

Looking at the accomplishments on paper and factoring in the importance to their teams, I really think Jimmy Howard should be #1 or #2 in the Calder vote. I feel like Tyler Myers is thought of as the biggest "potential star" of that group, and that's why he may win.

Also, doesn't Jimmy Howard get downgraded somewhat for the fact that he's a "rookie", yet he's played in every season since the lockout, except 06-07 (back to 2005-06)? Sure, he's still eligible, but I feel like voters set the bar higher for you when your NHL debut took place back when Tavares and Duchene were probably 13 or 14 years old.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

You could say Fedorov got screwed as well.

I'm always amazed Hudler didn't win it his year also. Oh well, when he returns maybe all the Art Ross trophys will make up for it.

You could say Fedorov got screwed as well.

Why do you say that?

For anyone's curiosity:

Red Wings Nominations and the eventual winner

Yzerman (1984) - Tom Barasso

Fedorov (1991) - Ed Belfour

Lidstrom (1992) - Pavel Bure

Zetterberg (2003) - Barret Jackman

I'm always amazed Hudler didn't win it his year also. Oh well, when he returns maybe all the Art Ross trophys will make up for it.

I'm hoping this is a joke, but I can't tell. If not, Hudler and his 10 goals and 25 points had no chance.

Regarding Fedorov, I don't think he got screwed, I think he got a little unlucky as it could have gone either way. Can't really argue against Belfour's 43 wins though.

Jimmy Howard named second star of the week!

Second Star, Jimmy Howard -- The rookie netminder continues to carry the Detroit Red Wings on his back toward the playoffs. Howard won all three of his starts last week, capping it with a 1-0 shootout victory at Nashville Saturday in which he made 33 saves through 65 minutes and then stopped 10 of 11 shots in the shootout. In all, he allowed just four goals on 92 shots.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523121

Edited by CanadaBoy

Guest Lidstromboli

I feel like Tyler Myers is thought of as the biggest "potential star" of that group, and that's why he may win.

He may win because he's a 19 year old kid who came in and took over the #1 d-man position, plays big minutes every night , puts up points, and has made the guys around him better. He's third in rookie scoring so far.

He may win because he's a 19 year old kid who came in and took over the #1 d-man position, plays big minutes every night , puts up points, and has made the guys around him better. He's third in rookie scoring so far.

You make it sound like Myers is a lock.

Guest Lidstromboli

No I don't. Lots of people here are trying to make it sound like Howard has a better chance than Myers and Duchene, though. I'd say it's about even.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I'm hoping this is a joke, but I can't tell. If not, Hudler and his 10 goals and 25 points had no chance.

Regarding Fedorov, I don't think he got screwed, I think he got a little unlucky as it could have gone either way. Can't really argue against Belfour's 43 wins though.

Bleh, thats the hard part about being known as a slappy, no one thinks you can be sarcastic anymore.

And yeah, Fedorov's season was great, but The Eagle was playing like a phenom. Remember they kept him over Hasek?