• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

Calder Trophy Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Im not sure of the station it was on but i was scanning my radio stations while driving and they were saying that the Calder has already been decided and its going to Myers. Once again they said the reason was Howards age that hurt him,regardless i don't think Myers or Duchene could have had the seasons they have had if they went through what Howard has. With all the injuries to the Wings for him to come in and play the way he has,put up the numbers and keep us close enough to contend for the playoffs once we were healthy is reason enough to give it to Howard.

Im not sure of the station it was on but i was scanning my radio stations while driving and they were saying that the Calder has already been decided and its going to Myers. Once again they said the reason was Howards age that hurt him,regardless i don't think Myers or Duchene could have had the seasons they have had if they went through what Howard has. With all the injuries to the Wings for him to come in and play the way he has,put up the numbers and keep us close enough to contend for the playoffs once we were healthy is reason enough to give it to Howard.

So we don't know who said that but obviously they were talking out of their Buttman hole. The Calder Trophy is not voted on until the end of the regular season. Just in the last 2 weeks alone Duchene has taken himself out of the running by running out of gas and his team sinking in the standings....IMHO.

Quote:

"The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

From 1936-37 until his death in 1943, Frank Calder, NHL President, bought a trophy each year to be given permanently to the outstanding rookie. After Calder's death, the NHL presented the Calder Memorial Trophy in his memory and the trophy is to be kept in perpetuity.

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible."

I actually heard a broadcaster think Myers is going to win because of his size! WTF... is this a beauty contest???? The only reason Myers looks half-way decent is because they have a Silver Medal Award winning GOALIE on the team!!!! ..... who btw was flat out beaten by HOWIE!!!!

HOWIE WINS BY PROXY!!! LOL

If Howie gets the Wings into fifth seed and has a GAA of less than 1.5 the last 2 weeks here.... he will be the winner!

Edited by Icesurfer

IMHO Tyler Myers does not deserve the Calder over Howie. Howie ranks in the top of the league among goalies, whereas Myers DOES NOT rank top in the league among defencemen. It isn't even close.

Where Myers ranks top in is size. And that's all anyone ever seems to talk about. In fact, I have heard peeps who favor him bring that up as their first reason why. Is this a size contest? Is this some sort of beauty contest? Is this some sort of Pronger comparison contest? I don't get it.... just because of his size they are predicting some great things from him. What about Chara? Is he in the top of the league? Does anyone remember Gilles Lupien? NO?... Well, I will tell you. One time defencemen for Montreal, Pittsburgh and Hartford who was 6'6" and in a 5 year career had a grand total of 30 points and was +44, though. The point is that size doesn't guarantee anything.

In fact, the best defencemen in the league (Lidstrom... who else) is only 6'1".... and at his age he probably now is only 6'0".... LOL.

Myers may be first on his team in ATOI at 23:47, but that is only good enough for 24th in the league for defencemen. What that tells me is that the reason Buffalo is near the top is primarily because of their award-winning goalie not Myers. Myers' league rankings for DEFENCEMEN are as follows:

9th in points

9th in goals

12th in assists

16th in points/game

16th in shot %

20th in plus/minus

25th in PPA

30th in PPG

30th in blocked shots

80th in hits

234th in the league in Production Time!!!!

I am NOT IMPRESSED!!!!

I guess peeps are basing their vote on his 6'8" size..... LOL.

Again, Myers DOES NOT rank as high in the league in his defensive categories as Howie ranks in his goaltending categories.... NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Guest Lidstromboli

Have you actually watched Myers? Looks to me like you're basing this solely on stats.

According to NHL.com there are around 300 defencemen in the league and around 80 goalies.

Have you actually watched Myers? Looks to me like you're basing this solely on stats.

According to NHL.com there are around 300 defencemen in the league and around 80 goalies.

Yeh..... Myers was invisible when Howie out-dueled Miller..... even at 6'8" ......LOL!

Myers plays in a cr@p conference too! There is no doubt that the Western Conference is far superior to the East overall.... and that makes Howie's stats even more amazing.

234th in PRODUCTIVE ICE TIME out of 300 defencemen sounds pretty convincing to me. That is not my stat ...... courtesy of ESPN stats.

People notice him because of his height.... THAT'S IT! And that's all they talk about.

Lidstrom is not as noticeable on the ice because he quietly does his job..... and is only about 6'....LOL

He may win because he's a 19 year old kid who came in and took over the #1 d-man position, plays big minutes every night , puts up points, and has made the guys around him better. He's third in rookie scoring so far.

A name keeps coming to mind for me... Dion something.

:hehe:

Fair enough... but does that mean the top 5 goalies in the league are less impressive than the top 5 d-men? The impressiveness really gets dilluted as you drop down past the top 10 goalies, I'll admit that, but top 5 is pretty damn good.

Being a goalie isn't close to being easy. Put it this way-- Myers can s*** the bed some nights-- throw an assist up but be a -4. In the end people are going to judge him on his pts first anyway, but goalies don't have that luxury-- especially guys like Howard who don't put tons of SO up.

Oopps! I'm sorry. I forgot. Myers wasn't invisible in the Wings-Buffalo game!

Myers was so good he tossed the puck in the crowd from his defensive end allowing the Wings to win the game on the ensuing power play.

Silly me.... how could I have forgotten that???

I wonder if he got any productive ice time in THAT game? LOL.

Edited by Icesurfer

Oopps! I'm sorry. I forgot. Myers wasn't invisible in the Wings-Buffalo game!

Myers was so good he tossed the puck in the crowd from his defensive end allowing the Wings to win the game on the ensuing power play.

Silly me.... how could I have forgotten that???

I wonder if he got any productive ice time in THAT game? LOL.

YEP... I was right ....he played 22:41 in the Detroit game and ZERO was productive ice time!!!!!!

Matter of fact he was in a stretch of NINE straight games where he got a grand total of about 5 minutes of productive ice time in the 9 straight games. That is why he is 234th. He is not a consistently good player like Howie. You could count on Howie night after night.

I think Howie had a grand total of about only 4 or 5 bad games ALL year and most of those where in the beginning of the year when his confidence wasn't there yet.

Yeh..... Myers was invisible when Howie out-dueled Miller..... even at 6'8" ......LOL!

Myers plays in a cr@p conference too! There is no doubt that the Western Conference is far superior to the East overall.... and that makes Howie's stats even more amazing.

234th in PRODUCTIVE ICE TIME out of 300 defencemen sounds pretty convincing to me. That is not my stat ...... courtesy of ESPN stats.

People notice him because of his height.... THAT'S IT! And that's all they talk about.

Lidstrom is not as noticeable on the ice because he quietly does his job..... and is only about 6'....LOL

first off, i think howard should win and i dont think its that close. but this hate and finding random stats to put down another player is just stupid. productive ice time? thats the biggest joke stat ive ever heard of, i didnt even know it existed till now. i bet you didnt even look at those rankings and just found whatever his worst rank is then posted about it. players that never play are at the top, and all of the top defensemen in the league at the bottom(lidstrom is 225)

basically, just stop making all of us howard fans look bad. thanks.

first off, i think howard should win and i dont think its that close. but this hate and finding random stats to put down another player is just stupid. productive ice time? thats the biggest joke stat ive ever heard of, i didnt even know it existed till now. i bet you didnt even look at those rankings and just found whatever his worst rank is then posted about it. players that never play are at the top, and all of the top defensemen in the league at the bottom(lidstrom is 225)

basically, just stop making all of us howard fans look bad. thanks.

How is reporting stats making Howard fans look bad???? That makes absolutely no sense. I listed ALL the stats. And just because you were ignorant about productive ice time does not mean it is not an important or utilizable stat. I looked at all the rankings, obviously, that's why I wrote about it. I am a BIG Howie fan and I think you are a Myers Mole.... LOL.

Guest Lidstromboli

YEP... I was right ....he played 22:41 in the Detroit game and ZERO was productive ice time!!!!!!

Matter of fact he was in a stretch of NINE straight games where he got a grand total of about 5 minutes of productive ice time in the 9 straight games. That is why he is 234th. He is not a consistently good player like Howie. You could count on Howie night after night.

I think Howie had a grand total of about only 4 or 5 bad games ALL year and most of those where in the beginning of the year when his confidence wasn't there yet.

So wait you're basing this on one game and a faux-stat? How would you know whether Myers is consistent or not without watching him play on a consistent basis? You'd probably be bothered by people that say Howard sucks by watching, say, the game vs the Canucks earlier in the month.

Howard's had over 10 games with a SV% less than .900, fwiw

So wait you're basing this on one game and a faux-stat? How would you know whether Myers is consistent or not without watching him play on a consistent basis? You'd probably be bothered by people that say Howard sucks by watching, say, the game vs the Canucks earlier in the month.

Howard's had over 10 games with a SV% less than .900, fwiw

If Wings could lose the Stanley Cup on ONE faux pas on defence in game 7, then YES Tyler Myers could lose the Calder Cup on one blown game especially if it was against his primary competitor. One game or one event has been known to make it or break for any athlete. And that is my humble opinion!

If it was Lebda or Rafalski that tossed that puck over the glass in overtime and led to a loss the Wings fans would have ripped them a new butt hole and road them out of town! LOL!

Edited by Icesurfer

The stats have been updated through games of Sunday, April 4th.

First star of the week is John Tavares. He accumulated one goal and four assists for five points and improved his plus/minus from -16 to -10. He should be a good bet for hockey pools for next year.

Second star of the week is Rask. If he wasn't injured this year and played more games he most likely would have won the Calder Cup. He lowered his league leading GAA from 2.11 to an incredible 1.96 and raised his SV% to .931 and got 2 more wins with another shutout. He will be winner also next year and another good hockey pool bet.

Third star of the week is Jimmy Howard. He was awarded NHL SECOND STAR OF THE MONTH for his brilliant performances over the month playing in 25 straight games and surpassing Steve Mason, last year's Calder Cup winner, in wins with 34. The playoffs will be the best test for Howie and his confidence is unbelievable.

If Wings could lose the Stanley Cup on ONE faux pas on defence in game 7, then YES Tyler Myers could lose the Calder Cup on one blown game especially if it was against his primary competitor. One game or one event has been known to make it or break for any athlete. And that is my humble opinion!

If it was Lebda or Rafalski that tossed that puck over the glass in overtime and led to a loss the Wings fans would have ripped them a new butt hole and road them out of town! LOL!

That's because they consistently make stupid plays. Myers does not, and if he won the Calder it would be well deserved.

You act like Myers is only being considered because of some unknown hype machine and Howard is the only one close to deserving of the award with your attitude. Howard has had 10 games (as shown by Lidstromboli) where he has had under a .900 sv%. You act like he has been perfect since his first good game here, and that has not been the case at all. He has chinks in the armor just like Myers does.

Guest Lidstromboli

you're comparing a playoff game where the results are based solely on that game to a regular season trophy that is based on a full season of play? huh?

CALDER CUP WINNING PERFORMANCE BY HOWIE IN THE FINAL GAME!!!!

PROPELS THE WINGS TO FIFTH SEED!!!!

CALDER CUP WINNING PERFORMANCE BY HOWIE IN THE FINAL GAME!!!!

PROPELS THE WINGS TO FIFTH SEED!!!!

15 - 0 - 2 RUN FOR HOWIE TO FINISH THE SEASON..... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!

15 - 0 - 2

I don't know how you wouldn't give someone the Calder based on that!!!

Guest mindfly

Howard may win it, but Rask is still the better goalie...

Yep, but Rask should have started more games.. he got 10 less wins than Howard, thats why he wont win.