• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Why anybody would want Frolov over Hudler is completely beyond my comprehension.

#62 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hudler? Hell yes... by all means I'd welcome him back. Many here thought the same about Bertuzzi after he left for more money with the Ducks. When think of Hudler, I remember the time in Vancouver that the Van announcers were gushing over Alex Edler, saying that he had unlimited potential and was one of the best young defensemen in the NHL. Well, Hudler promptly walked around Edler like he was waiting for a bus and just roofed it on Luongo.

If I could get more than double my salary at another job, I'd take it in a heart beat.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#63 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

someone draw up some line combos and ill see if i care to get him back or not

#64 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

57 points for a guy who played just over 13 minutes a night? Hudler is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#65 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ January 11, 2010 - 07:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
57 points for a guy who played just over 13 minutes a night? Hudler is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen.

Can't wait for him to come back.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#66 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (stuck in socal @ January 10, 2010 - 11:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He is still making far more than the average person makes. He was being greedy and I hope hie is having fun in the Mafia league.

I'm sorry, but what the average person makes is irrelevant to a pro athlete's contract negotiations. For everyone who is pissed @ Hudler for going to the KHL because he didn't "want to be a Red Wing" is misguided. He stated that he only wanted to play for Detroit, no other team in the NHL. He had a chance to make $10 million over two seasons tax free. Or stay in the U.S. making $2.8 million and over 50% going to state and federal taxes. If you are telling me the "average guy" wouldn't have done that, I disagree. That is generational money that changes your family tree if done right. So, in reality, he went to the KHL to secure his future and not betray his NHL loyalty to the Red Wings.

I work at a Nursing home in management, and we have nurse aides who will quit, losing tons of PTO benefits, because another home in town will pay them a nickel more per hour! It makes no sense, and the average guy would take the money and run everytime.

#67 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (brett @ January 11, 2010 - 07:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Franzen•Datsyuk•Cleary
Bertuzzi•Zetterberg•Holmstrom(I'd perfer him retire and sign free agent I.E-Bourque, Foligno)
Ferraro/Tartar•Flippula•Hudler
Draper•Helm•Eaves/Miller

Id love to see Bert come back as well, and to see Ferraro or Tartar will most likley not happen, it should be Leino but.......We also need to loose Malts, Williams and sign a solid free agent to play on the 2nd line with Z, I saw Foligno is available as is Rene Bourque (for now anyway) put Huds with Flip and either Abby or another GR rep (like tartar/Ferraro). Then have the most kick ass line four ever. Ok well not ever but, they are damn fast!

Edited by 13dangledangle, 11 January 2010 - 11:47 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#68 b-random

b-random

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ January 11, 2010 - 06:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why anybody would want Frolov over Hudler is completely beyond my comprehension.

If you're considering the type of contract Frolov would probably demand then I might agree, but Frolov has every bit of the offensive ability of Hudler, he's bigger and a better skater.

#69 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

Hudler played scored 3 points in 12 games on the fourth line at age 19; Frolov played none.

Hudler was 20 during the lockout, and cannot be compared with Frolov's year at age 20.

Hudler played 4 and scored nothing on the fourth line at age 21, Frolov played 77 on the first line and scored 24 goals and 48 points.

Frolov was 22 during the lockout, so the two cannot be compared.

Hudler played 81 games and scored 13 goals and 41 points on the third line (13 minutes) at 23, Frolov played 69 and scored 21 and 54 on the first line (19 minutes).

Hudler played 82 games and scored 23 goals and 57 points on the third line (13 minutes) at 24, Frolov played 82 and scored 35 and 71 on the first line (20 minutes).

That lays out their careers and compares them. Now, if we set a projected level of total time for a 'first-liner' to play; say 1200 even-strength minutes, 250 PP minutes, and 150 PK minutes. Project the last two seasons listed to those totals and we come up with the following for total point production:

23 years old:
Alex Frolov: 26-38-64
Jiri Hudler: 17-38-55

24 years old:
Alex Frolov: 36-25-61
Jiri Hudler: 29-39-68

So while Frolov has a fair advantage in goals, The two are basically even in points. And given the fact Hudler has been playing with guys like Downey, Helm, Draper, and Maltby while Frolov has had Cammalleri, Kopitar, Brown, and Handzus on his line...it's fair to say that Hudler is the more offensively gifted player. Would I take Frolov on the Wings? Absolutely. Will he sign in Detroit as a UFA? Probably not for less than $5m. If Hudler decides to come back next season, there is no better bargain the Wings can find on the market. Hudler would be worth $4m-$5.5m as a UFA and the Wings have him locked up in his prime for under $3m. Given the "Happy New Year" story, it seems all the more likely he'll be back before July 1st.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#70 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ January 11, 2010 - 05:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Raging? blink.gif

30 goals a subpar year? blink.gif

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Frolov is declining. Yes, he seems to be having an off year, but so are a lot of players, and on this team even. I think it's illogical to think that he won't still be better than Hudler as he has been. (as he has been in every step of his career, both paralleling their 1st, 2nd, 3rd seasons and the past few years) Last year he had 30 goals, that's pretty good. On this team we barely have any 20 goal scorers, let alone 30.

To the Bolded: Yes because Franzen and Zetterberg would not be on pace for 30 goals if they weren't injured. Once again your lack of ability to take statistics in context and refusal to see common truths is amazing.

I'm not even going to waste my time with the rest of your post seeing as every single other poster on this thread has allready said what I was going to say.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#71 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ January 11, 2010 - 05:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Raging? blink.gif

30 goals a subpar year? blink.gif

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Frolov is declining. Yes, he seems to be having an off year, but so are a lot of players, and on this team even. I think it's illogical to think that he won't still be better than Hudler as he has been. (as he has been in every step of his career, both paralleling their 1st, 2nd, 3rd seasons and the past few years) Last year he had 30 goals, that's pretty good. On this team we barely have any 20 goal scorers, let alone 30.

To the Bolded: Yes because Franzen and Zetterberg would not be on pace for 30 goals if they weren't injured. Once again your lack of ability to take statistics in context and refusal to see common truths is amazing.

I'm not even going to waste my time with the rest of your post seeing as every single other poster on this thread has allready said what I was going to say.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#72 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

exactly even if he wanted to come back and as good as he was how can you let a guy back in your locker room after he walks away from the team when he seen hossa conklin samuelsson kopecky and then for him to leave money was more important to this guy then his team and team mates where so i say f*** him or let him come back and trade his ass!

#73 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (brett @ January 11, 2010 - 04:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary
Abdelkader - Filppula - Hudler
Draper - Helm - Eaves
Miller

#74 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (luvmnger @ January 10, 2010 - 10:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
remember everyone...it samuelsson we dont want back.

Sammy has 15 goals and 30 points so far this year; good for 1st in goals on the Wings (along with Holmer, and ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) and 3rd in points. Go Sammy, Go!

#75 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

Please stay in KHL Jiri. You'll take valuable cap dollars away from a future DEDICATED Red Wing.
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#76 Russian Houdini

Russian Houdini

Russian Houdini

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (E_S_A_D @ January 12, 2010 - 11:49AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please stay in KHL Jiri. You'll take valuable cap dollars away from a future DEDICATED Red Wing.

I disagree and agree with the first or second post on this page.

If I was offered 10 million for two years I would take it. Plus he never turned his back on the Wings. It's not as if he pulled a Chelios (offending the Blackhawks) or something. He went to the KHL.. it's not like he is Hossa or Federov.

The matter is that we don't have a guy of his offensive ability on the third line. Maybe Helm... in time, but right now Hudler's numbers fromt the past are impressive.

Edited by Russian Houdini, 12 January 2010 - 03:55 PM.

Ајмо Црвена Крила!!!!

#77 redWINgzIT

redWINgzIT

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

I actually miss seeing Hudler in the Red Wings jersey. He was one player that you would expect to come up with a goal when the team needed it... and he did. On quite a few occasions. It would be shocking when he got it because out of all them goal scorers that Detroit had, he would be the dependable when things were lookin sour...... This year is like getting squirted in the eye with lemon juice, that sour.... Bring back Hudlahhhh....
“There is nothing so uncertain as a sure thing.” Scotty Bowman

#78 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (E_S_A_D @ January 12, 2010 - 02:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah cause Hudler didn't perform more than any other Red Wing based on the amount of time he got during the regular season.

They are lol'ing.

Posted Image

#79 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

Interesting numbers...

The Wings started the season with 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders.

Had Jiri Hudler stayed, it would have meant no Williams or Bertuzzi. Had Hudler performed exactly as he did last season, his numbers would look as follows:

13g-19a-32pt, +4, 3PPG, 8PIM, 1GWG, 85sht, 15.3%, 614:16 TOI

Compared to the following for Williams and Bertuzzi combined:

14g-18a-32pt, -9, 5PPG, 60PIM, 4GWG, 167sht, 8.4%, 831:42 TOI

Hudler would be cheaper, and provide the same amount of offense (more actually; Williams and Bertuzzi have scored points together on at least a couple plays I am aware of) in less time than the combination of Williams and Bertuzzi.

And furthering the point; Hudler would be scoring at a much higher rate than he did last season. You know this. I know this. We all know it. Bertuzzi is worth $1.5m as a UFA. Williams is worth $1.5m as a UFA. Hudler is worth at least $5m+ were he a UFA. Yet he would cost the team half that.

"Hudler's slow in a fast league!" Not too slow to be one of the league's most effective scorers last season. Gretzky was slow in a fast league. He was pretty effective. It's not how fast you are, it's what you can do with the speed you have. Huds isn't slow; he's quicker than average. He's just slower than many Wings forwards, as the Wings typically draft speedy guys with decent puck skills (system, hello?)

"Hudler's small and soft!" And he still puts up big scoring numbers in all situations. If his size were a problem, he wouldn't be doing that. He goes into the corners and crashes the net. He has the size and strength disadvantage, and that hurts his chances of winning the battles, but he is feisty and gritty despite his size.

Edited by eva unit zero, 13 January 2010 - 12:22 AM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#80 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

At this point, we need all the goal-scorers we can get.