• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namingway

Cujo to retire Tuesday

Rate this topic

He never won a cup or a Vezina but came close a couple of times. He's 4th on the all time win list and I think that's something to be proud of.

Although he only played a handful of games for the Winged Wheel, it was nice having him around.

Him and his awesome masks will be missed!

Here's to a heck of a career Cujo! :thumbup:

he got a VERY raw deal here and I honestly believe that had we never gave up on him and brought in an at-the-time-hurt Dom, he would have won his cup...

His team did not give him the goal support he deserved in 2004 and he got hosed... a goalie should NEVER lose a series with those numbers...

04 playoffs: SV% - .939 GAA - 1.39

how the hell does that lose?!??

he got a VERY raw deal here and I honestly believe that had we never gave up on him and brought in an at-the-time-hurt Dom, he would have won his cup...

His team did not give him the goal support he deserved in 2004 and he got hosed... a goalie should NEVER lose a series with those numbers...

Absolutely. As is so typical in Detroit and on LGW's, people ripped into him and vilified him at every opportunity, but in the guy's second year here, he was the only one in the playoffs giving the team a chance to win. On top of that, it was after a horrible season for him in which Holland made a stupid move by bringing Hasek back which raised all the drama in the world, for nothing.

It's a shame as Cujo's always been a good guy and he was a real good guy in the Detroit community while he was here. He threw a lot (A LOT!!!!!!) of money around to numerous charitable causes and never sought any attention for it. Nothing went in the press. He was a real humble guy off the ice, truly committed to his family and doing as much "right" in the world as he could on any given day.

It was a shame the Detroit Red Wings failed to give him the treatment typically afforded to players on this team. The guy played great for us when it mattered despite being screwed by us earlier in the season, and on top of that, he was a great guy to have in the Detroit community in general.

It's sad to see it end for him without a Cup, but Cujo's a humble guy, and a grateful guy who never took the opportunity to play for granted. I wish him and his family the best as he transitions into a new life.

by giving up open ice slappers from the blue line in playoff games....to the mighty sucks in 03. i carry around a lot of hurt to this day from watching those four games. he was far less than stellar when it counted. i say good riddance

Damn those are painful memories. Seriously. What an epic melt-down. (The team, not me thinking about it.)

The way Cujo was dealt with was one of the very few times I can remember this organization handling things terribly.

by giving up open ice slappers from the blue line in playoff games....to the mighty sucks in 03. i carry around a lot of hurt to this day from watching those four games. he was far less than stellar when it counted. i say good riddance

His first season here wasn't good.

But Osgood has done the same, it happens sometimes.

He was better his second season, we just didn't even try against the Flames in the second round.

How many goals did we score in that series?

Kbye.

How many goals did we score in that series?

Kbye.

He did give up some bad goals against Anaheim, it proved to be the difference because no one could score really. If Luc hadn't hit the crossbar in Game 1, who knows what crazy alternate reality we might be living in now.

But for '04, he was unbelievable. His sliding, pad stacking save on Iginla in Game 4 is one of my enduring memories of him.

He did give up some bad goals against Anaheim, it proved to be the difference because no one could score really. If Luc hadn't hit the crossbar in Game 1, who knows what crazy alternate reality we might be living in now.

But for '04, he was unbelievable. His sliding, pad stacking save on Iginla in Game 4 is one of my enduring memories of him.

Still, at the end of the day, there is no way in hell that 2003 team played well enough to beat Anaheim. They lost that series as bad as they've lost any series in the last 10 years. Cujo gave up some softies, but the fact that people remember that over how horrible the team on whole was is a testament to how unbalanced most are in their perspective. Don't forget that the Ducks ended up going to the Finals that year on the back of Giguere. Even if Cujo stood on his head like in 2004, I think it's a huge stretch to think that we could have won that series the way the rest of the team played. We just didn't have it and the Ducks did, hence why they went to the Finals.

Despite giving up bad goals against the Ducks he still had a .917 sv% and a 2.08 GAA, with numbers like those you shouldnt be able to lose. His numbers in 04 were even better and he still got a raw deal. My favorite of all time, good luck to you Curtis!

Too bad the Leafs didn't beat the Canes back in 2002...Would've been a much more interesting Cup between old time Original 6 rivals.

That would've been my dream Cup...before I die, I want to experience a Wings-Leafs Cup final. That's some "bucket list" s*** right there...

He had some great performances in the last part of his career, namely stepping in for Kipper in Game 3 against San Jose and for Gerber agains Washington, and stoning Ovie repeatedly in overtime and the shootout.

He got hosed here in Detroit because of the Hasek situation, really a shame that things didn't work out better for him. Best of luck to him.

Was never really treated fair here, generally speaking. Not including some iffy playoff goals his first year here when he still had great numbers, he performed great during his brief time as a Wing.

:beerbuddy: to a great career!