• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Fleury pursuing charges against Graham James

Rate this topic

This story and this article made the front page of Toronto Star today.

Outcry over the quiet redemption of a hockey coach who sexually preyed on his teenaged players has prompted the federal government to make it harder for some convicted criminals to be pardoned.

"I think there is a distinction to be made between a break and enter ... and a rape," Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said Monday about the criteria the National Parole Board considers when deciding whether to grant a pardon.

"Certain types of criminals cannot be rehabilitated," he said in a later interview.

If James had done these crimes in the USA, he would still be in jail. Apparently, in Canada, the majority of offenders who apply for pardons are granted them.

It's not a shock all these kids go on to have alcohol and drug problems. Brian Shaw is another guy who ruined the lives of many young hockey players - like John Kordic (drug overdose at the age of 27).

From CTV Calgary :

There's been another complaint made by a former hockey player who used to play for Graham James.

The alleged sexual abuse occurred in the 1990's while the player was on a team in Saskatchewan, and the complaint is currently being investigated by police. The player now lives in Alberta.

From TSN :

The federal government will introduce legislation Tuesday that will deny pardons to some of the most violent offenders.

The new law, to be tabled by Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, would put an end to what the government considers a ''rubber stamp'' for pardon applications.

Former NHL player Sheldon Kennedy will join Toews in Ottawa to announce the legislation.

Kennedy was a victim of sex predator Graham James, a former junior hockey coach with the Calgary Hitmen who was granted a pardon from the parole board in 2007 for sexual assaults against two teens, including Kennedy.

From Toronto Star :

Graham James, the convicted sexual predator, has made headlines for the past few weeks but his whereabouts were unknown.

Now CBC’s The Fifth Estate and The National will air an interview with the disgraced former junior hockey coach, who was granted a pardon in 2007. The pardon came to public light a few weeks ago after a previously unknown accuser contacted Winnipeg police, triggering loud protests across the country.

A CBC news release confirmed that the interview would be aired Wednesday and that it was done outside Canada. It comes on the heels of the federal government’s proposed legislation to eliminate pardons for convicted pedophiles and repeat criminal offenders.

It sickens me that monsters like that can receive a pardon. They ruin the lives of those kids and the least we can do is make sure they spend their life in prison.

This has nothing to do with jail time. He is not in jail, he served his time (whether it was long enough or not is another question...actually, I haven't followed it at all, so I'm not even sure if he served time, I'm just assuming).

Anyway, the pardon isn't something that got him out of jail, it essentially removes the incident from his record (it's not that straightforward, but that is essentially what the pardon is about and why people are upset about it.

From Toronto Star :

Sex offender and former hockey coach Graham James is living in Mexico, apparently unremorseful for his crimes.

James, tracked down by the CBC, had nothing to say about his controversial 2007 pardon, which shocked the country when it recently came to light and caused the Canadian government to introduce a new bill aimed at toughening rules on pardons. Nor did he have anything to say about fresh allegations of sex abuse from former NHL star Theoren Fleury.

52bde35e4fd9b110ae0d730cadb5.jpeg

Disgusting. If you didn't know his history, you could tell just by looking at him that there's something wrong with him. Seriously, why was this man pardoned? Can someone from Canada explain what's wrong with their wretched parlimentary system that this actually could happen?

From National Post:

Winnipeg police will issue a new arrest warrant for convicted sex offender Graham James on Wednesday, stemming in part from allegations made by former Calgary Flames star Theo Fleury, according to a statement from Mr. Fleury.

“I’m grateful to the Winnipeg police for responding to my complaint. I know it took a while, but these things have to be done right,” Mr. Fleury said in his statement. “It was an open chapter in my life that is closed, and now we are nearing the end of this part of the story.”

From Winnipeg Free Press:

The mere presence of new criminal allegations against convicted sex offender Graham James means his controversial pardon could be revoked, The Canadian Press has learned.

James, a former junior hockey coach, faces nine new counts of sexually abusing teenage players under his influence over a period that stretched from 1979 into the mid-1990s.

Sometimes, the wheels of justice turn very slowly.

Maybe he would have gotten a longer sentence if Fleury would have joined Sheldon Kennedy instead of letting him go it alone for so long. His star power would have brought a lot more attention to the case and more justice to bear on this sick man.

There is no word yet on whether convicted sex offender Graham James will seek bail on the nine new charges he is facing.

A lawyer for James appeared briefly in court this morning to have the case put over to Monday.

James was not in court himself, and remains in custody in Winnipeg.

Just doing what any good criminal defense lawyer would do.

Graham James’ case has been adjourned until later this week.

The former junior hockey coach, a convicted sex offender who is now facing new charges, was slated for a court appearance today, but the matter was moved to Friday. James did not appear in court today, and remains in custody.

I'm pretty sure immediate execution is the proper punishment for sexual predators. So put a bullet in his head and send his family a bill for it.

A bullet isn't much to pay, hell send me the bill. I'll buy 2 in case you get a shaky hand on the gun.

Three weeks after he was arrested on new sex charges, former hockey coach Graham James has still not applied for bail.

A lawyer for James told provincial court in Winnipeg that the defence is still going over the Crown's evidence.

The case has been put over to Dec. 3.

The legal system seems to crawl very slowly in The Peg.