126 replies to this topic

#41 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ January 15, 2010 - 08:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Racism IS bad. So are sexual predators. As someone who has been personally affected by a sexual predator, I can unequivocally state that they deserve the most heinous death the human mind can imagine.

Also, I haven't seen any conclusive proof that if you are say, the son/daughter of a rapist, you will become one as well. There are plenty of people in this world that are dealt a s*** hand genetically, yet they manage to overcome it. Maybe you have mental illness in the family, maybe drug abuse/alcoholism, maybe sexual abuse.....not everyone who comes from those homes lives the adage "the sins of the father shall visit the sons". There's alcoholism running up and down my family tree, but I absolutely abhor the stuff and rarely if ever, touch it. So no, I'm not saying that if you're related to a sexual predator, you deserve death.

thumbup.gif
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#42 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ January 15, 2010 - 10:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Racism IS bad. So are sexual predators. As someone who has been personally affected by a sexual predator, I can unequivocally state that they deserve the most heinous death the human mind can imagine.

Also, I haven't seen any conclusive proof that if you are say, the son/daughter of a rapist, you will become one as well. There are plenty of people in this world that are dealt a s*** hand genetically, yet they manage to overcome it. Maybe you have mental illness in the family, maybe drug abuse/alcoholism, maybe sexual abuse.....not everyone who comes from those homes lives the adage "the sins of the father shall visit the sons". There's alcoholism running up and down my family tree, but I absolutely abhor the stuff and rarely if ever, touch it. So no, I'm not saying that if you're related to a sexual predator, you deserve death.

Bravo!

People may be genetically inclined to things, but a person's actions are their own responsibility. Granted there are extreme cases of mental illness where a person is not in touch with reality, but those are rare, and certainly not what is being discussed here.

If a person is truly incapable of controlling their actions, and those actions are ones such as this that cause pain and suffering of innocent children, then that person should be institutionalized and kept apart from potential victims. This is one of the rare cases where I don't care about individual rights.

If a person is aware of reality and chooses to do such things as this, that person deserves death. Or in lieu of death, a life of severe suffering.

I would only hope that people who do have these urges seek help to control them, even if it means voluntarily committing themselves. Those are the only sexual predators for whom I would in any way have respect.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#43 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Just a little follow up on this story.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4829306

#44 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Marty Barry @ January 16, 2010 - 11:15AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a little follow up on this story.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4829306

Unless I missed something, I'm not sure why Theo would be struggling with the decision on whether or not to press charges.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

From Toronto Star :

Graham James, the junior coach convicted of sexually abusing his players in a case that rocked the hockey world, has been pardoned by the National Parole Board, The Canadian Press has learned.

Though the pardon was granted three years ago, it comes to public light only now as a result of a previously unknown accuser contacting Winnipeg police.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#46 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

From Toronto Star

Graham James, the junior coach convicted of sexually abusing his players in a case that rocked the hockey world, has been pardoned by the National Parole Board, The Canadian Press has learned.

Though the pardon was granted three years ago, it comes to public light only now as a result of a previously unknown accuser contacting Winnipeg police.

Un-*******-believable! :angry:

I can't wait for them to release the rationale of the pardon. I just can't fathom what it could possibly be. This is some ridiculous bulls***!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#47 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Fleury is going to be on Hockey Central shortly. I dont know how ppl can be such sick f***s and get pardoned for it....

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#48 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sheldon Kennedy is shocked and disappointed, but sums it up perfectly; from montreal ctv dot ca :

"My first reaction was how lightly we take the offences, the sex crimes that Graham has committed and others have committed in this country," Kennedy said. "That whole process of Graham being investigated, charged, pleading guilty [and] being pardoned is a matter of 10 years. Yet I see people every day, victims of sex crimes, dealing with this and most of the time it ruins their lives for many, many years."

"To me it's really a slap in the face for everybody."

#49 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Pardoned? You can't be serious.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#50 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Who was making that executive decision? Colin Campbell?

#51 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

This story and this article made the front page of Toronto Star today.

Outcry over the quiet redemption of a hockey coach who sexually preyed on his teenaged players has prompted the federal government to make it harder for some convicted criminals to be pardoned.

"I think there is a distinction to be made between a break and enter ... and a rape," Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said Monday about the criteria the National Parole Board considers when deciding whether to grant a pardon.

"Certain types of criminals cannot be rehabilitated," he said in a later interview.

If James had done these crimes in the USA, he would still be in jail. Apparently, in Canada, the majority of offenders who apply for pardons are granted them.

#52 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

It's not a shock all these kids go on to have alcohol and drug problems. Brian Shaw is another guy who ruined the lives of many young hockey players - like John Kordic (drug overdose at the age of 27).
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#53 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

I liked Mr. Kennedy's style of play when he was with Detroit and I never really understood why they let him go; maybe this had something to do with it. Sad.

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

From CTV Calgary :

There's been another complaint made by a former hockey player who used to play for Graham James.

The alleged sexual abuse occurred in the 1990's while the player was on a team in Saskatchewan, and the complaint is currently being investigated by police. The player now lives in Alberta.

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

From TSN :

The federal government will introduce legislation Tuesday that will deny pardons to some of the most violent offenders.

The new law, to be tabled by Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, would put an end to what the government considers a ''rubber stamp'' for pardon applications.

Former NHL player Sheldon Kennedy will join Toews in Ottawa to announce the legislation.

Kennedy was a victim of sex predator Graham James, a former junior hockey coach with the Calgary Hitmen who was granted a pardon from the parole board in 2007 for sexual assaults against two teens, including Kennedy.

#56 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Does this mean they'll be getting James? Or is it too late?

#57 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

It sickens me that monsters like that can receive a pardon. They ruin the lives of those kids and the least we can do is make sure they spend their life in prison.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

From Toronto Star :

Graham James, the convicted sexual predator, has made headlines for the past few weeks but his whereabouts were unknown.

Now CBC’s The Fifth Estate and The National will air an interview with the disgraced former junior hockey coach, who was granted a pardon in 2007. The pardon came to public light a few weeks ago after a previously unknown accuser contacted Winnipeg police, triggering loud protests across the country.

A CBC news release confirmed that the interview would be aired Wednesday and that it was done outside Canada. It comes on the heels of the federal government’s proposed legislation to eliminate pardons for convicted pedophiles and repeat criminal offenders.

#59 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

It sickens me that monsters like that can receive a pardon. They ruin the lives of those kids and the least we can do is make sure they spend their life in prison.

This has nothing to do with jail time. He is not in jail, he served his time (whether it was long enough or not is another question...actually, I haven't followed it at all, so I'm not even sure if he served time, I'm just assuming).

Anyway, the pardon isn't something that got him out of jail, it essentially removes the incident from his record (it's not that straightforward, but that is essentially what the pardon is about and why people are upset about it.

#60 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

From Toronto Star :

Sex offender and former hockey coach Graham James is living in Mexico, apparently unremorseful for his crimes.

James, tracked down by the CBC, had nothing to say about his controversial 2007 pardon, which shocked the country when it recently came to light and caused the Canadian government to introduce a new bill aimed at toughening rules on pardons. Nor did he have anything to say about fresh allegations of sex abuse from former NHL star Theoren Fleury.

Posted Image